Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
What I wonder is how they expect people to want to pay for this service after a year. It is so bad in terms of updates and when I run the functions its takes way to long for them to process. My guess is this thing only checks in occasionally to keep from draining the battery in the car, but still doesn't seem too useful with all of the delays in sending commands and stale data in the app.
I can't see paying for info about tire pressure and fuel level that's days old - or even 12 hours old as if you drive much, it's not going to be helpful. For me the only reason I'd want or need to know tire pressure is if I've been out and about and going back to the vehicle I can tell if I've got tire trouble before I even get to the truck. If I need to plan my day - will I have to go out and get gas - having info 2 days old isn't helpful.
Jeep cares recently wanted to know the miles on my truck - I had to go out and get the miles or guess as the app showed me mileage from a day ago and I had driven it a lot since then. (so I guessed - baby it's cold outside)

Most of what it shows I know from the last time I was in it, except maybe the miles on the odo as I don't watch that closely most of the time. I may happen to know it, but not something I "need" to know.

So I can't see paying for info I knew when I got out of the truck last time - and the phone shows me info days old, hours old at best. A lot can change in a day if you drive much.
Just observe your vehicle as you drive it, pay attention, and you have all the info this thing gives.
Being able to start, locate, that sort of thing is handy, yes, but not if it's old info or takes a long time to respond.
(people in the few weird areas where there is PERFECT AT&T coverage need not respond LOL - you are rare birds. Face it, most of the USA isn't as perfect - I don't give a rip what the TV ads claim - coverage of most cell companies sucks in many areas - I had to deal with it when I worked for the state and heard all the griping about lack of coverage from Verizon, AT&T and a couple of others)
Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I can't see paying for info about tire pressure and fuel level that's days old - or even 12 hours old as if you drive much, it's not going to be helpful. For me the only reason I'd want or need to know tire pressure is if I've been out and about and going back to the vehicle I can tell if I've got tire trouble before I even get to the truck. If I need to plan my day - will I have to go out and get gas - having info 2 days old isn't helpful.
Jeep cares recently wanted to know the miles on my truck - I had to go out and get the miles or guess as the app showed me mileage from a day ago and I had driven it a lot since then. (so I guessed - baby it's cold outside)

Most of what it shows I know from the last time I was in it, except maybe the miles on the odo as I don't watch that closely most of the time. I may happen to know it, but not something I "need" to know.

So I can't see paying for info I knew when I got out of the truck last time - and the phone shows me info days old, hours old at best. A lot can change in a day if you drive much.
Just observe your vehicle as you drive it, pay attention, and you have all the info this thing gives.
Being able to start, locate, that sort of thing is handy, yes, but not if it's old info or takes a long time to respond.
(people in the few weird areas where there is PERFECT AT&T coverage need not respond LOL - you are rare birds. Face it, most of the USA isn't as perfect - I don't give a rip what the TV ads claim - coverage of most cell companies sucks in many areas - I had to deal with it when I worked for the state and heard all the griping about lack of coverage from Verizon, AT&T and a couple of others)

Exactly. The data is questionably worth the monthly fee to begin with, then you add on the fact that it isn't instant, or at least doesn't do an upload everytime you shut it off and I am like whats the point. Don't even get me started on ATT coverage, just dropped them due to poor coverage but even then it still doesn't check in when its in a good coverage area. My house was spotty in terms of speed but always had some form of connection regardless so the minimal amount of data being sent shouldn't be a problem really.

Whats sad is if it worked and the level of tech in the jeep (and a halfway decent dev team, which they don't have just look at the ESS) this could be a solid feature. Like alerting you on a gas threashold you set when you are at certain locations. Or TPMS alerts at custom threasholds. Instead we get a half baked feature set and extra garbage that was probably baked into the sale price of the vehicle.

OP
OP
Seansmd

Seansmd

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiaator Rubicon 2020, 2018 Audi SQ5, 1967 Camaro RS/SS
Occupation
Tech
What I wonder is how they expect people to want to pay for this service after a year. It is so bad in terms of updates and when I run the functions its takes way to long for them to process. My guess is this thing only checks in occasionally to keep from draining the battery in the car, but still doesn't seem too useful with all of the delays in sending commands and stale data in the app.
I drove three hours from the San Jose to the central valley early this morning, and then returned early afternoon. It didn't update the entire time on either ride. Now it says it updated 2 hours ago after being idle after both trips.

Will not pay for this, first time in 5 years in various vehicles that I have paid for these services. Bummer.

OP
OP
Seansmd

Seansmd

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech
Exactly. The data is questionably worth the monthly fee to begin with, then you add on the fact that it isn't instant, or at least doesn't do an upload everytime you shut it off and I am like whats the point. Don't even get me started on ATT coverage, just dropped them due to poor coverage but even then it still doesn't check in when its in a good coverage area. My house was spotty in terms of speed but always had some form of connection regardless so the minimal amount of data being sent shouldn't be a problem really.

Whats sad is if it worked and the level of tech in the jeep (and a halfway decent dev team, which they don't have just look at the ESS) this could be a solid feature. Like alerting you on a gas threashold you set when you are at certain locations. Or TPMS alerts at custom threasholds. Instead we get a half baked feature set and extra garbage that was probably baked into the sale price of the vehicle.
Agreed, if it showed the status of the door locks, and windows (my other vehicles do this) it would be more valuable it the data was current. This meh!

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
Agreed, if it showed the status of the door locks, and windows (my other vehicles do this) it would be more valuable it the data was current. This meh!
Status of windows, or really even doors and roof being attached on a vehicle like this would be amazing.

Sponsored

DeanJP1

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Has anyone’s app updated?

Does anyone else also have a Tazer installed?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
uconnect must be having issues tonight.
Normally I can access it via my Windows 10 laptop using BlueStacks emulator - took forever for the uconnect app to load, then when it did said it was having connectivity issues, try again later.

So, trying on my phone now - sitting there trying to load and it's also likely about to fail.
App crashed, had to forcefully restart. It's working on phone now, only 10 hours old on info.

Must be some DoS stuff going on as I found this forum up and down a lot, almost like a DoS attack here, too.

Or maybe people streaming the debates tonight have killed the internet.......

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
Has anyone’s app updated?

Does anyone else also have a Tazer installed?
That may be an interesting coloration. Mine hasn't updated in over 400 miles. I think this coincides with when I installed my tazer....

DeanJP1

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
I’m pretty sure mine stopped updating when I installed the tazer.

I do use the app to remote start daily.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Seansmd

Seansmd

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech
Hmmmmm look what hit my inbox today....

upload_2020-1-16_13-16-24.png

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Then any issues after a month ago were flukes and not their problem, apparently. They have FIXED it and it's all ok now.

OP
OP
Seansmd

Seansmd

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech
Then any issues after a month ago were flukes and not their problem, apparently. They have FIXED it and it's all ok now.
Where is the smiley response

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security

Interesting. I just tried the app now and it had me logged out and won't even let me log in now.
Sponsored