Sponsored

Video: TFL hands-on with Jeep Gladiator

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Hey there,

there is pressure and that holds it in place. Let me try to find more technical descriptions for ya ;)

I haven't seen it in person yet but my coworker was doing a shoot with them last week and was describing it to me. I will reach out to our OEM guys.

CassieAt bestop
You ROCK! No matter what Lou says, you're A+ in my mind. lol I'm subscribing to this thread now!
Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
DOUG IS THE MAN!!!!

AT 8:55 he debunks my concern of "weekend thieves" stealing my menards non-plywood items, afterall true 4x8 sheets won't fit with tailgate up.

I apologize to you all and the Gladiator gods in Toledo, i'm not worthy of your 419-ness. Please let me buy a roll up tonneau? p p p please?

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Okay guys, i have the answers you are looking for! I reached out to our OEM engineers in Michigan and received this response.

Can you open the tonneau without opening the tailgate?
No, the tailgate must be opened. Once opened the tonneau can be placed into the “Weekend Warrior” position which is a panel independent of the main latch allowing for longer items which would extend past a closed tailgate to be placed in the box with the tonneau still closed. As an example we have protected for two layers of stacked lumber (2x4s) to be placed into the bed with the tailgate closed and “Weekend Warrior” panel open.

What holds the tonneau to the truck bed, is there pressure form the tailgate? “And at 8:09 the tailgate is open and the guy does not reach for any tab to release the cover. Quite to the contrary he just grabs the edge of the cover in the middle with both hands and just flips it up. “
The tonneau is bolted to the box at the front and latched at the rear. The latching system is operated by pulling on one of tether straps located at either side of the box opening. There is no Velcro on the bed rails or any other form of an attachment. The tonneau is retained to the bed sides via a tension cable stitched into the tonneau cover. This is the same proven method used on high quality soft tops.

CassieAtBestop

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As an example we have protected for two layers of stacked lumber (2x4s) to be placed into the bed with the tailgate closed and “Weekend Warrior” panel open.
This is awesome because if the distance between wheel arches is 44", you could get 24, 2x4x? In there without having to flip the gate to halfway mode.

That's a ton of 2x4 for a weekend warrior! (See what I did there?):facepalm:
Sponsored