Sponsored

Video: TFL hands-on with Jeep Gladiator

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
It is a soft top tonneau cover...... noting is safe. Hell if they want something inside your vehicle, the windows won't even keep them out when hit with a Louisville Slugger!.....Welcome to the first day of baseball...Go Brewers!
Well I know nothing will stop a determined theif, but regular guys won't slash your tonneau cover and it'll keep them honest. But if you can just flip it open, they might take a peak.
Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Where did you see that? In the videos I've seen you have to open the tailgate. I think...
Tfl didn't say the tailgate has to be open. But they did say, " you can just fold it right away without any latches. "

It's the lack of latches comment that has me worried. I really wanted this soft top.

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Chevy and a Caddy
Tfl didn't say the tailgate has to be open. But they did say, " you can just fold it right away without any latches. "

It's the lack of latches comment that has me worried. I really wanted this soft top.
I don't think you can grab onto it to open it up without the gate being open. Maybe if you shove something in there? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I want it too so that would be a bummer if you can just open it without opening the gate. But that seems crazy to me.

Nick1941

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL
They did say the cover was spring loaded which i take it as the top stays in that weekend warrior position without latches or bouncing around?

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think you can grab onto it to open it up without the gate being open. Maybe if you shove something in there? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I want it too so that would be a bummer if you can just open it without opening the gate. But that seems crazy to me.
totally seems crazy to me too. Maybe there's somthing that the tailgate pushes against that keeps it locked, but i can't see anything in any of the videos, we shall see.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Would be great if someone could check this when they see a JT at an auto show and it’s got the soft tonneau cover on it. Let everyone know what you find out.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would be great if someone could check this when they see a JT at an auto show and it’s got the soft tonneau cover on it. Let everyone know what you find out.
+1

Excellent idea for the next one to recon for us. Can you use recon as a verb? I guess i just did.

DenverGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ stock, manual, over-sized tires, soft top, half doors
Per what @DenverGladiator posted, it's going to be 12:01 am ET March 30:

f6a06a33-40bf-426c-8b95-cbbd68d405bc-jpeg.jpg
I went to Denver Auto Show tonight ... the Gladiator girl said Sunday, I’m going to revise to Sunday at 12:01am, 10:01pm on Saturday in Denver.

Sponsored

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
7F9768EF-D253-4ABD-8F26-2AC244C797A9.jpeg
Hey Steffen I just looked at one of the videos in a post by SKT this morning in the white thread. At 3:31 in the video you will see that you do have to open the tailgate so you can then pull a tab to release the locked tonneau cover. Mystery solved. Your cargo is safe as long as a thief does not have a knife.

Skyler7381

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite LE
7F9768EF-D253-4ABD-8F26-2AC244C797A9.jpeg
Hey Steffen I just looked at one of the videos in a post by SKT this morning in the white thread. At 3:31 in the video you will see that you do have to open the tailgate so you can then pull a tab to release the locked tonneau cover. Mystery solved. Your cargo is safe as long as a thief does not have a knife.
Yeah but look at this video at 7:57

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Yeah but look at this video at 7:57
Not sure what you're trying to reference here. He clearly opens the tailgate and then flips the cover up.

It looks like the cover is held closed the same way the rear glass on a Wrangler hardtop is held closed, by pressure from the tailgate. There's no latch on the rear glass, the same way there's no latch to flip the cover in to weekend warrior mode. Once the cover is flipped to weekend mode you then pull the tabs to roll it up completely.

Mystery solved.

Skyler7381

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite LE
Not sure what you're trying to reference here. He clearly opens the tailgate and then flips the cover up.

It looks like the cover is held closed the same way the rear glass on a Wrangler hardtop is held closed, by pressure from the tailgate. There's no latch on the rear glass, the same way there's no latch to flip the cover in to weekend warrior mode. Once the cover is flipped to weekend mode you then pull the tabs to roll it up completely.

Mystery solved.
Perhaps but it just so happens he opens the tailgate, who knows if it actually holds it closed.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Mystery solved.
:facepalm:, look here Murder She Wrote, there's more to than meets the eye. just teasing.
Perhaps but it just so happens he opens the tailgate, who knows if it actually holds it closed.
CORRECT:whatsgoingon:

Just cuz he opens the tailgate, doesn't mean he has to, after-all he says " you can just fold it right away without any latches. " This makes me wonder.

If there are no latches, catches, mechanisms, ect needed to flip it with the gate open, perhaps there are no latches, catches, mechanisms keeping it shut with the tailgate shut.

To of my dad's sayings as a kid,
"If you don't ask, the answer is no." and
"To assume makes an ASS out of U and ME".
Sponsored