WARNING - Check your caliper bolts

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
My wife and I woke up to one hell of a surprise here in Death Valley this morning. I was backing into a parking spot and notice a “small” clunk noise as we arrived at our hotel for evening. In morning with more light I checked out the situation and was shocked I had lost the upper front passenger caliper bolt.

Death Valley. No parts stores. No vehicle repair shops. No hardware stores. Nothing. Very little phone service and spotty Wi-Fi at hotel.
Luckily we came across a small Jeep rental place that the owner was able to scavenge one off of one of his Jeeps. If not, we were screwed.
Closest parts stores were hours away and they had nothing. 5 hours from LAX or Las Vegas. Last resort was to have Mopar to UPS on to Death Valley when they opened on Tuesday and would have gotten in when we did.

Folks, check those bolts. I will be following up with Jeep upon our return.

We were VERY lucky today.
Sponsored

bigcheeshead

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Same thing happened to me years ago while offroading my 2009 JK on the Back Way to Desert Bar trail in Parker, AZ. Caliper bolt fell off and the caliper jammed the tire so I couldn't move at all. It cost over $2,000 for offroad recovery plus another $1,200 in repairs. Since that little misadventure I always blue loctite those bolts and make sure that the shops do the same when working on my Jeep.

OP
OP
AZCooWhip

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I hear you on the blue. My exact words to my wifey.

Didn’t think I would ever have a failure line this on less than 20,000 mile vehicle less than 2 years old. Line and learn I guess.

Guess what I am ordering once I get home. Yep. A few extra bolts in the tool bag as well.

Someone was watching over us. Death Valley is tough enough as it is. We were on our way to head out to even more remote areas. No recovery teams here.

Cannot even imagine having a blow out like yours and no solutions.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
There's a couple of threads about that here - and there's a TSB covering REAR caliper ADAPTER bolt loss.......... they don't mention the caliper bolts.

Attachments

OP
OP
AZCooWhip

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Papa, thanks for the info. Once we are back into civilization I will check that out.

Death Valley is still a place to visit. This place is incredible. Just when you think you’ve seen a lot.

Just do a bolt check before during and after 😁😳

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Papa, thanks for the info. Once we are back into civilization I will check that out.

Death Valley is still a place to visit. This place is incredible. Just when you think you’ve seen a lot.

Just do a bolt check before during and after 😁😳
No matter where you are, that's a scary part to come apart on you. I was thankful for manual mode in the transmission and good brakes on our CO trip last summer.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
What's the part number?

OP
OP
AZCooWhip

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
This is the culprit right here.. Upper bolt Somehow backed itself out after 1.5 years of ownership. Many off road and rock crawling road trips with no issues or any indication that bolt was finding its way out.

Upon inspection at the same time, lower bolt was on its way out as well. If that one would have let loose, then it could have been bad.

Anyone know off the top what the correct torque is on these bolts?

B7F28922-294B-4237-8A2B-DD9BB982D28B.jpeg

Sponsored

skindata

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Assembly Technician

RicardoLDV

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator
Occupation
Field Solution Architect - Network Security
My wife and I woke up to one hell of a surprise here in Death Valley this morning. I was backing into a parking spot and notice a “small” clunk noise as we arrived at our hotel for evening. In morning with more light I checked out the situation and was shocked I had lost the upper front passenger caliper bolt.

Death Valley. No parts stores. No vehicle repair shops. No hardware stores. Nothing. Very little phone service and spotty Wi-Fi at hotel.
Luckily we came across a small Jeep rental place that the owner was able to scavenge one off of one of his Jeeps. If not, we were screwed.
Closest parts stores were hours away and they had nothing. 5 hours from LAX or Las Vegas. Last resort was to have Mopar to UPS on to Death Valley when they opened on Tuesday and would have gotten in when we did.

Folks, check those bolts. I will be following up with Jeep upon our return.

We were VERY lucky today.

Please protect other consumers by reporting this to the National Highway Safety Administration (www.nhtsa.gov or call 888-327-4236). Thanks!
Sponsored