Water / Liquid Puddles in Garage

ChopCityATL

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
This is my first Jeep so wondering if this is normal or if I need to have it looked at? I've had the Gladiator Sport for a year now and it puddles up big time in my garage. I know it's normal for condensation off the air conditioner and whatnot, but this is a lot of water. So much that it's made it to the back wall of my garage and I have fungus growing on the sheetrock. Is it normal for there to be this much condensation with Jeeps?
Sponsored

OP
OP

ChopCityATL

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
What location under the truck is the water coming from?
Good question...I've assumed it was coming from the engine compartment, but now that I look it seems to be coming from the middle of the truck. If you zoom in on this pic (dead center), you can see the water forming on that plate.
Jeep Gladiator Water / Liquid Puddles in Garage Dri

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Just asking but are you 100% sure that it is water ?

Others may chime in but id wonder a few things ...

1) Does it happen every time you drive EVEN IF you weren't running the AC
2) Is it humid where you live ?
3) Does it happen year round ?

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Also like to ask if you drive a lot of short distances. Byproducts of combustion are CO2 and H2O and if the truck isn’t allowed to fully warm up the water can condense in the exhaust system. Now I’ll admit that for it to have as much moisture as you mention it would have to sit and idle for a while for a puddle to form.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ChopCityATL

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Just asking but are you 100% sure that it is water ?

Others may chime in but id wonder a few things ...

1) Does it happen every time you drive EVEN IF you weren't running the AC
2) Is it humid where you live ?
3) Does it happen year round ?
Thanks for the reply! Pretty sure it's water because it pools up in my garage and I have to sweep it out now that I've noticed the mold/mildew on the back wall. I'll put some paper under it next time I drive it see what color it is, just to be sure.

Yes to all 3 of your other questions! I live in Roswell (suburb just north of Atlanta) and it's about 50 degrees here today. Normally quite humid in the south, but today the humidity is only 48%. It's worse in the summer for sure.

OP
OP

ChopCityATL

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Also like to ask if you drive a lot of short distances. Byproducts of combustion are CO2 and H2O and if the truck isn’t allowed to fully warm up the water can condense in the exhaust system. Now I’ll admit that for it to have as much moisture as you mention it would have to sit and idle for a while for a puddle to form.
Good question...I do drive it quite a bit for short distances when I'm around the house (grocery store, home depot, take out, etc.). I also drive a good bit up to Woodstock where my kids live which is about 20 miles each way.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
These exhaust systems can still drain some water even after warmed up due to the cats, etc. - that's the point of the converters and such on these. I find some water on the floor of my garage, not larger than a paper towel most of the time, and it varies.
Is your garage heated? If you are outside and it's 30 degrees, the fuel in the tank gets COLD. You pull into a slightly warmer building with some humidity, you can get sweat on tanks.

I've seen some severe condensation issues in our state due to the wild temperature and humidity swings. In fact one day I opened my shop overhead doors and in 30 minutes there was enough water on the floor to SPLASH in if you stomped your feet., Fun for the kids - but a bit skick, too.
The concrete was cool (I had heat off) and the outside air got really warm and muggy and you could see the water puddles form on the floor.

AC runs if you run defrosters, etc. - so just because you don't have AC turned on in AC mode doesn't mean the compressor doesn't run and you don't have condensation from the evaporator collecting.

OP
OP

ChopCityATL

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
These exhaust systems can still drain some water even after warmed up due to the cats, etc. - that's the point of the converters and such on these. I find some water on the floor of my garage, not larger than a paper towel most of the time, and it varies.
Is your garage heated? If you are outside and it's 30 degrees, the fuel in the tank gets COLD. You pull into a slightly warmer building with some humidity, you can get sweat on tanks.

I've seen some severe condensation issues in our state due to the wild temperature and humidity swings. In fact one day I opened my shop overhead doors and in 30 minutes there was enough water on the floor to SPLASH in if you stomped your feet., Fun for the kids - but a bit skick, too.
The concrete was cool (I had heat off) and the outside air got really warm and muggy and you could see the water puddles form on the floor.

AC runs if you run defrosters, etc. - so just because you don't have AC turned on in AC mode doesn't mean the compressor doesn't run and you don't have condensation from the evaporator collecting.
I park it in my garage...It's not heated/cooled, but is noticeably cooler in the summer (than the outside temps) and noticeably warmer in the winter. My floors are painted so the condensation doesn't absorb into the concrete. It is very much a puddle that you can splash in...and bust your ass in since the floors are painted. I've started sweeping the water out every 4-5 days until I can figure out how to get the water to run out of the garage instead of back towards the house. Then I'll get a handyman out here to replace the sheetrock and base boards.

...and of course, if this isn't normal for Jeeps then I'm going to take it in to have it looked it to try and prevent the problem before it starts.

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
I have epoxy on my garage floor and the ac does leave a nice puddle, but does not drain to the walls.
I got in the habit of turning off the ac when I am about a mile from home. It helps

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My garage has two nice drains right smack in the middle under the vehicles but in 40 years they are no longer the low points on the floor if they ever really were that low. Any water gets in it runs to the WALLS. On the flip side - the guy we bought from also built it and the garage walls sit on two rows of concrete block so no worries there, but still - don't leave anything on the floors, it will get water soaked.
My shop kind of has drains but the idiot that did the floor only sloped the middle 1/3 or so of the floors to the drain - the rest, if it doesn't make it that far, runs to the walls. What's up with these concrete idiots?
From the very edge the floors should slope, not only some of it.

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
My garage has two nice drains right smack in the middle under the vehicles but in 40 years they are no longer the low points on the floor if they ever really were that low. Any water gets in it runs to the WALLS. On the flip side - the guy we bought from also built it and the garage walls sit on two rows of concrete block so no worries there, but still - don't leave anything on the floors, it will get water soaked.
My shop kind of has drains but the idiot that did the floor only sloped the middle 1/3 or so of the floors to the drain - the rest, if it doesn't make it that far, runs to the walls. What's up with these concrete idiots?
From the very edge the floors should slope, not only some of it.
In my township, we are not allowed to have floor drains in any garage and they check for this during inspection ... The only people with them are OLD houses before the nanny state was implemented and my genius neighbor who thinly cemented over the holes prior to inspection ...

I would give anything to have your mis-sloped drains any day !!! Instead I have a big broom sized squeegee that I push any water out the front of the garage ... Ya, know so that it will run down to the sewer where it would have gone anyways ...

Yer lucky ...

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Good question...I've assumed it was coming from the engine compartment, but now that I look it seems to be coming from the middle of the truck. If you zoom in on this pic (dead center), you can see the water forming on that plate.
Jeep Gladiator Water / Liquid Puddles in Garage Dri
I do not see how it would be leaking or condensation from the gas tank shield? My ac drains in the middle but comes down above and to the right of the the transmission running off the transmission and leaves a good sized puddle

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I always remote start and let it run at least 10 minutes. Since it's turned cold, I've notice two water puddles under the truck when I leave. One is under the middle on the driver's side, the other is under the tip of the exhaust.

Whatscooking

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Chorkee. 2004 Wrangler
Occupation
Retired
You said the guarge is not heated, the water is comming from the exhaust system, i have seen other vehicles slobber out lots of water. Just my 02
Sponsored