First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hope to buy a Gladiator soon
Occupation
sales
I have a ‘21 model with the same problem. No one at the dealer or in another shop seems to hear when I leave them the truck to figure it out. It’s annoying at the least and bothersome that something is seriously wrong. I’m not a mechanic at all, but can the bearings be repacked or are they a sealed type of thing?
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I have a ‘21 model with the same problem. No one at the dealer or in another shop seems to hear when I leave them the truck to figure it out. It’s annoying at the least and bothersome that something is seriously wrong. I’m not a mechanic at all, but can the bearings be repacked or are they a sealed type of thing?
It won't be a bearing sound. They will rumble or growl and you'll notice it by just jacking up that corner and turning it by hand. (bearings going is pretty rare these days anyway - most even decades ago went many tens of thousands of miles)

Frankly, if it was mine, I'd begin to ignore it once I checked that the bearings were ok (by experience and by turning things by hand, feeling for rough spots, etc.)
Brakes can squeal and one post in the last page showed one method to stop brake squeal.
In days past, we'd either put on a compound out of a tube or spray it on the backs of pads, then install the pad. It basically acted like a sound damper to prevent high frequency squeal.

As I told my son when his Jeep did it after sitting a couple of days then being driven - it's not hurting a thing...... his made weird sounds that weren't really scraping, wasn't really a squeal, it was really hard to describe. Since the sound changed when he only lightly applied the brakes, it was likely the pads making sound against the surface of the rotors. Brake pads run incredibly close to the rotor, even to the point of touching, at lower speeds (annoying race car owners to the point of doing something about it to reduce drag) and will squeal, rumble or make other sounds at the drop of a hat.

Rear axle bearings are lubed by the axle lube in the differential housing.
I assume the fronts on these are sealed bearings like used years ago in Jeep and Eagle vehicles. Maintenance maybe every 100,000 miles.
If it's a high pitch squeal or a squeak, the likelihood of it being a bearing is pretty slim. Normally such sounds are minor, maybe simply annoying.