First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
Jeep Gladiator What’s a good roof top tent and rack? 90956916-668F-494C-85AC-A1360E7DA00D
Jeep Gladiator What’s a good roof top tent and rack? 80E2403F-2FD7-468D-AC19-DB47A03AB3F3

So here it is on the Rubi where it belongs. My thoughts on RTT’s are starting to change with use. I had to come home early today from my trip clear on the other side of the state after wrenching my ankle while trying to set the tent up in the dark last night.

RTT’s have an undeniable “cool factor”, but the drawbacks are undeniable as well. I’m seriously considering going back to a ground tent, or possibly a small camping trailer.
Sponsored

Levi.Butler

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Engineer
I think that unless you want to leave your RTT on your truck 365, having a good plan to remove and store your tent and maybe even your rack is a must. If you have the ceiling space, a lift in the garage would make your setup awesome. (and I suspect that you have already done it) Hardshell tents may hold up well on the roof, but I can see constant wind on a daily driver tearing up soft tent covers and RTTs are too expensive to tear up on a daily driver.
Yessir. If I'm going wheeling and want that extra weight off (plus, if I flop, no reason to risk ruining a tent if I'm not using it) then I remove only the tent. If I need to use the bed, the tent/bed cover all comes off in one unit.

Syndula

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
I am running a Smittybilt XL gen 1 with annex room which works well for my family of 4. I am 6 foot my wife is 5'8" and I have two boys ages 4 and 6. The tent is plenty big enough for us and the addition of the annex room helps greatly with the setup of a multiday camping trip and it gives us an area to hang out with the ability to stand up during inclement weather. As far as racks go I am still waiting for the delivery of my gecko JTR so cannot help there but I am leaning to the camper shell approach due to cleanliness and lockability of the set up.

mmatthie

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S
Still limited options for the Diamondback HD...only racks I think that work well are KB Voodoo with the brackets that loop out and around (and actually rest on top of cover)...and the Fronrunners

TexasTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
I've had a gen 1 Smittybilt XL RTT for ~4 years now. No major complaints, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. I wanted the Diamondback cover anyways to secure things in the bed, so my best option was the Front Runner load bars. The nice thing is it keeps it nice and low, which helps for loading/unloading it onto the truck, and for setup/packup when actually camping. The XL does hang over the rear of the bed a little since I don't have it over the hardtop any.

Jeep Gladiator What’s a good roof top tent and rack? {filename}

Jeep Gladiator What’s a good roof top tent and rack? {filename}
Sponsored