What is this part?

AustinKalb

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 AEV Gladiator Rubicon
It came with my new 2023 diesel Gladiator. It’s a mopar part and has the word “Diesel” embossed on it. An adapter, but why?

I'm new to diesels. I thought if the nozzle doesn’t fit it’s the wrong gas. At least that’s how it works in the aviation world.

7D2FF3DE-397B-41D3-98F0-A8D6C152AB38.jpeg
Sponsored

Unkle Luk

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD; 2013 JKR
Occupation
Construction Engineer
There are still a lot of diesel nozzles out there that are not the right size and will not open the discriminator on the filler neck, this allows you to open it for that or using fuel cans Etc.

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
+1 to above. Look carefully in the fuel filler neck - there's a mechanical flap device in there called a "discriminator" which is meant to prevent you putting a smaller-diameter gasoline nozzle in by accident. Diesel pumps are SUPPOSED to use larger diesel-specific nozzles that unlock the flap, but things wear out and get mixed up - so someday you may come across a gasoline-sized nozzle on a diesel pump and be unable to open the flap. Funnel to the rescue.

I use my funnel routinely with external fuel cans. Neither the pour spout nor the soft rubber siphon hose I use will trigger the flap mechanism.

You might think to use the funnel to enable filling with the giant-diameter fast fill nozzles meant for big rigs - be ready to get soaked in diesel if you do. You'll have to go very, very slow and careful with those nozzles if you have no other choice. (Or, there's a thread on removing the discriminator entirely, so you can use the big rig nozzles if you want to)

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT, 2020 Ram 2500, 2013 JKU
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
Use it to add fuel additive to each tank of fuel

Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Wow. I know nothing of this “fuel additive”. Do you mean DEF?
No Hot Shots EDT every tankful. Lubricity for the pump adds cetane as well.

djdannis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Ecodiesel
Does anyone have the part number for this? My used JTRD didn't come with one. Thanks

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
@djdannis Do yourself a favor - get this instead. The Mopar cone is not all that great in practice. This diameter adapter from VW is much more useful IMHO.
Sponsored