Website
thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s 2021 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
So I am picking up the Gecko in a month or so and now trying to pick up some new shoes for it. Will 4.7 in of BS on KMC 17in wheels work? I am looking at the BFG Km3 37x12.5 tires. I am gonna wheel it stock on the way home from TN to CA, but am looking at the ICON 2.5 and the Mopar 2in lift.
Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
ICON states a 4.5" back space on wheels with their 2.5 lift no matter the stage.

MOPAR doesn't give a back space recommendation with their lift I don't believe.

With that said, the 4.7" you list should be okay, but look and listen for any rubbing.

Most of your aftermarket lift kits give you a back spacing number, you just have to dig for it.
You have to be careful because some of them state a 3.5" back spacing.

OP
OP
Jocww

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
So because it states 4.5 thats the number i would ideally want. But is it better to go over at 5 or under at 4?

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
So because it states 4.5 thats the number i would ideally want. But is it better to go over at 5 or under at 4?
You should be fine with either on a Rubicon, with the wider axles. Both the Mopar and Icon front lower control arms have a tire clearance bend.

OP
OP
Jocww

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
You should be fine with either on a Rubicon, with the wider axles. Both the Mopar and Icon front lower control arms have a tire clearance bend.
thats good to hear. Am I right to assume that JL and the JT wheels are the same ie interchangeable?

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
thats good to hear. Am I right to assume that JL and the JT wheels are the same ie interchangeable?
Yes and no. Information on the JL wheels is skimpy, JK wheels are not worth as much carrying weight as the JT. It is ASSUMED that JL wheels are also not rated as high as JT.

As to your question about the 4.7" being okay, it should be. The lift manufacturers don't list why they recommend that back spacing and what part might rub. Some cases it's the LCA's, other cases it's the lower shock mount. They just give dire warnings of doom and destruction.

OP
OP
Jocww

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
Yes and no. Information on the JL wheels is skimpy, JK wheels are not worth as much carrying weight as the JT. It is ASSUMED that JL wheels are also not rated as high as JT.

As to your question about the 4.7" being okay, it should be. The lift manufacturers don't list why they recommend that back spacing and what part might rub. Some cases it's the LCA's, other cases it's the lower shock mount. They just give dire warnings of doom and destruction.
The reason why I am asking is there is a guy with 37s on 4.7 KMC wheels near me that hes selling so I was hoping to buy and use those.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jocww

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor

Well I will prob go with Mopar since it alot cheaper!

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I can clear with my stock wheels and 37's without spacers. I put the Goodyear Kevlar MTR 37 12.5 17's on without my spacers and I had clearance at full lock side to side. I can't speak for 37 13.5 17's but I could run the 37 12.5 17 Kanati's i just had put on without spacers as well. I just prefer the wider stance. I got a Max Tow with the Wider Axles like the Rubi has. I still have my stock lower control arms on mine, and am lifted about 3-1/4 inches.

OP
OP
Jocww

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
I can clear with my stock wheels and 37's without spacers. I put the Goodyear Kevlar MTR 37 12.5 17's on without my spacers and I had clearance at full lock side to side. I can't speak for 37 13.5 17's but I could run the 37 12.5 17 Kanati's i just had put on without spacers as well. I just prefer the wider stance. I got a Max Tow with the Wider Axles like the Rubi has. I still have my stock lower control arms on mine, and am lifted about 3-1/4 inches.
what kind of lift are you running?

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
what kind of lift are you running?
I got a Readylift 2.5 inch SST spacer lift and Rubicon front springs installed. It sits 2 inches in the rear and 3-1/4 in the front with the Rubicon front springs installed.

Jeep Gladiator What size backspacing for 37s on JTRD PXL_20211001_220920385
Sponsored