Sponsored

What the heck is this? Is this real? Aluminum Rubicon 3 piece bumper...

kooltoys

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTD, 90 300zx TT, 07 Nightrain, MB 3.0L Diesel
Occupation
AV Design/Programming
That "review" could easily fit the steel bumper on eBay. I mean leave out the word aluminum and you've got it. I also found the screw size to be inadequate for my OCD-ness so I used some I had here. Never short on fasteners here. The steel bumper does not come with a skid plate but the stock MOPAR Rubicon steel bumper skid plate is an exact perfect fit for it.
Again, seeing the pictures, seeing the fog light adapters, the bags of hardware, the description, I'd bet same company makes this one that makes the steel one on eBay.

Almost makes me wish I had waited and saved 70 pounds or whatever off the extremely heavy steel bumper.
that aluminum bumper is still 2x cost of ebay bumper.. im happy with cheap

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
that aluminum bumper is still 2x cost of ebay bumper.. im happy with cheap
That's the fly in the soup - the cost is still about double. I can run this steel bumper a long time for the price difference. If the aluminum bumper comes down dramatically - say, to 500............ then tempting. The only thing about the steel bumper is the weight. Otherwise it's fine, fits and looks good, does the job.

PackMule

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SingGray JTRD, 2012 Dozer JK, 2014 GC
Occupation
InfoTech Retired
There are two reviews for the gladiator. One for a rubi and one for a mojave.
The reviewer for the gladiator rubicon said it fit with the only exception being the winch plate would not work without trimming because of it interfering with the sway bar disconnect. He opted for another manufacturers winch plate rather than trimming. So, with workarounds it could work on a JTR.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dewyaw

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock; 1987 Jeep Wrangler Laredo; 1988 Porsche 911, 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Not all at the same time.
Ok, got the bumper yesterday and installed it.

First impressions was the packaging wasn’t terrible. It’s not Front Runner, but no one is.

The bumper itself….it’s cheap. No other way to say it. It’s built to be “good enough.” Barely. I’ve had a Mopar 3 piece on my JK Hard Rock so I can compare, and there is no comparison. Some guys have said they think these bumpers come from the same factory, just sold unbranded, that is false. Not even close. If fit and finish are paramount to you, this isn’t the bumper for you.

Installation was pretty straightforward, nothing too challenging.

The bumper is very light, the winch plate almost weighs as much. I don’t have or want a winch so I didn’t install it.

The Mojave skid didn’t fit of course, so I improvised.

Things I’m not happy with is the fog lights are exposed in the back, and the power coating is SO thin. The skid plate came out of the box very scuffed.

I wish the wings would ship not installed, that way they could avoid scuffing.

D80AAD4C-F5A5-43E8-9DB0-0FFD05480E0D.jpeg

D58964F5-D9A8-4F1A-9605-C75528737998.jpeg

50D69F33-7921-4A49-A8D5-37EB1A33D846.jpeg

B7EA2C90-9608-4A6B-9045-3C070C1D75B6.jpeg

C4DDEE78-F27E-4047-A47A-6BF7ACCAF226.jpeg

7CA05989-471F-4731-8121-230BBE245140.jpeg

EB316708-7CDE-4859-8606-2A3F80C9FA6D.jpeg

A8AC6B39-BE2C-4646-8049-9EE9D27EB6E3.jpeg

E6BB6C5C-C99A-48FD-9343-52E82FF5A25A.jpeg

63F2DAB0-4A08-4E6F-A309-8D36C5E3C6CC.jpeg

5808BA1A-65F2-4EA5-BAA3-95C13CD93AB2.jpeg

FCA3E6C1-0E22-442A-AA9C-BCC25AC19510.jpeg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Everyone talks about the back of the fog light area being open - isn't it that way on the actual MOPAR labeled steel bumper? It's open on those, too, correct?
So, they were basically staying true to the OEM style in that respect, open in the back. This one isn't any worse than the OEM steel or the steel copy in that respect (being open on the back)

>> Some guys have said they think these bumpers come from the same factory, just sold unbranded, that is false. Not even close. If fit and finish are paramount to you, this isn’t the bumper for you.<<

No one has said that about the aluminum bumper that I'm aware of - have they?
You bought this aluminum bumper mentioned in this thread's original post, correct? I can't see anyone saying an aluminum bumper is made in the same place as the MOPAR steel bumper. MOPAR doesn't offer an aluminum bumper, do they?

I still have no issues with my steel bumper (copy). It's just fine. No rust, etc.

So you are suggesting the aluminum bumper isn't as good as the eBay steel bumper.

OP
OP
Dewyaw

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock; 1987 Jeep Wrangler Laredo; 1988 Porsche 911, 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Not all at the same time.
Everyone talks about the back of the fog light area being open - isn't it that way on the actual MOPAR labeled steel bumper? It's open on those, too, correct?
So, they were basically staying true to the OEM style in that respect, open in the back. This one isn't any worse than the OEM steel or the steel copy in that respect (being open on the back)

>> Some guys have said they think these bumpers come from the same factory, just sold unbranded, that is false. Not even close. If fit and finish are paramount to you, this isn’t the bumper for you.<<

No one has said that about the aluminum bumper that I'm aware of - have they?
You bought this aluminum bumper mentioned in this thread's original post, correct? I can't see anyone saying an aluminum bumper is made in the same place as the MOPAR steel bumper. MOPAR doesn't offer an aluminum bumper, do they?

I still have no issues with my steel bumper (copy). It's just fine. No rust, etc.

So you are suggesting the aluminum bumper isn't as good as the eBay steel bumper.
Yes I got the aluminum, and I would bet this aluminum bumper is made in the same factory as the steel eBay one, but I’ve never seen the steel eBay so I can’t confirm that. Just a hunch. If they are from the same factory then they’re probably the same design, just different material. And if THATS the case, there is no way that factory also makes the Mopar bumper.

I don’t remember if the Mopar bumper is open at the fog lights.

That said, if Mopar would come out with an aluminum version of this, I guess it would cost ~$1800. Would I pay that extra $1000 for the Mopar quality?

No.

If I wanted to spend $2000 on a bumper it would be an Addictive Desert Design of some sort. Love those.

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
How Chinese knock offs are made:

1. Buyer (name brand) - here's the design, I need x00 made at $X00/each. Sells at $X000/each (typically 40-80% markup)

2. Manufacturer (chinese) - ok, no problem. Actually makes X00, sells x00 to original buyer.

3. Manufacturer - contacts off brand buyers A, B C, etc. Hey, I have extras of this product and can sell you at $x00/ea if you buy so many?

4. Buyer B and C - SURE! And they slap their names and logos and sell at undercutting price to original.

It ain't always like that, but that is also one way they get their hands on select products and able to sell for cheaper. They typically break even with original Buyer, even with the excess copies, and make their bank on offing the excess.

I've had my fair share of Chinese made and off brand with no issues, but it all comes down to ur research and not buying on impulse. Just my experience. And the bumper is tempting...

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's an old way - and for manufacturers that contract with a Chinese company to make parts.
These days the factories are generally owned by the US company. In fact you can buy a factory over there pretty cheap.
Many U.S. companies OWN the factory and hire their own staff and nothing is left to the Chinese.

Ask the guy who created the Shop Task mill/lathe/drill press. He started by contracting. He soon saw his invention being sold at Harbor Freight and other places with very minor changes like color and name plate and a lower price.
So he bought a factory over there, hired employees, troubles went away.
Being in the classic car hobby, I know of at least 2 or 3 people who have things made over there and maintain full control - quality and everything else. But - they could have it made cheaper by just contracting it out.......... and end up like you said.

Made in China can mean a whole lot of things these days, including BETTER quality than some things made in the states.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
From Shadows Papa​
“Many U.S. companies OWN the factory and hire their own staff and nothing is left to the Chinese.”​
Yeah right, made with child labor.​

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
From Shadows Papa​
“Many U.S. companies OWN the factory and hire their own staff and nothing is left to the Chinese.”​
Yeah right, made with child labor.​
LOL - guess you haven't been there. That's CHINESE owned factories, not the U.S. owned and operated.
A lot of companies STILL contract with Chinese to make things like flooring, etc. - cheaper. You also get nasty chemicals, child labor (especially with CLOTHING)
My son has been there, his friend has been researching buying a factory and by now, may have completed his plans.
Continue to keep the old stuff alive.............

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
LOL - guess you haven't been there. That's CHINESE owned factories, not the U.S. owned and operated.
A lot of companies STILL contract with Chinese to make things like flooring, etc. - cheaper. You also get nasty chemicals, child labor (especially with CLOTHING)
My son has been there, his friend has been researching buying a factory and by now, may have completed his plans.
Continue to keep the old stuff alive.............

LOL guess you haven’t been there, or dealt with some of these ... US manufacturers in China. Have you actually been there? Or is this just what your son has told you?

Why do you think these products are so cheap?

There may be some companies that put out descent products with adult labor. Even those adult workers, whether hired by Americans or the communist Chinese, are in most cases horribly abused.

We all purchase Communist Chinese products, but it’s not something to be proud of. That is a brutal country. I will never go back!

Tokolosh

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi Q7, 2014 Ford Fusion, 2015 Chrysler T&C
Occupation
Director in Automotive Industry
That's an old way - and for manufacturers that contract with a Chinese company to make parts.
These days the factories are generally owned by the US company. In fact you can buy a factory over there pretty cheap.
Many U.S. companies OWN the factory and hire their own staff and nothing is left to the Chinese.

Ask the guy who created the Shop Task mill/lathe/drill press. He started by contracting. He soon saw his invention being sold at Harbor Freight and other places with very minor changes like color and name plate and a lower price.
So he bought a factory over there, hired employees, troubles went away.
Being in the classic car hobby, I know of at least 2 or 3 people who have things made over there and maintain full control - quality and everything else. But - they could have it made cheaper by just contracting it out.......... and end up like you said.

Made in China can mean a whole lot of things these days, including BETTER quality than some things made in the states.
I wouldn’t say this is common and it is definitely a risk to do so. Assuming you can even get approval for the deal everything changes when foreign investment takes over. Actual costs now hit the books...

https://abovethelaw.com/2015/05/buying-a-chinese-company-why-china-deals-dont-get-done/
Sponsored