D10S86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge gladiator, x3
Occupation
Controller
Vehicle Showcase
I think a lot of overlanders carry some form of protection or another (Leaving Trojan out of this conversation!).
Many of the people I interact with don’t talk much about it until you get to know them better but many share the same philosophy as I do and refuse to be a victim.

As many people in the South I am almost always carrying in my Jeep if not actually on me. I believe that being discrete is one of the first parts of self defense. Be the gray man... (or in my case the sting gray man!).

We had the opportunity to go to Alaska last summer and of course we always abide by the laws of any country we visit so my usual Sig pistol was a no go In Canada. Instead we brought a pump action 12 gauge and brought some Breneke slugs. Crossing the border as far as firearms was concerned wasn’t an issue as I had the paperwork already filled out.. Fortunately we never had any reason to take it out of its resting place....but.... we did get charged one evening while my wife was preparing dinner and had to use our bear spray on a black bear...he was not happy but we both survived the encounter.

Fun times!
Thanks for the info! As a new gun owner myself, I see things differently now and can’t imagine going out on a camping trip without bear spray and a gun. There’s a lot to consider though as far as the legality of carrying in certain areas but I feel most would bring along some protection just in case.
Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
.44/.357/10mm are minimum for bear if you are going with a pistol. And you better be able to hit a target that amounts to the end of a soup can traveling 20+mph bouncing up and down.

Banging pots and pans together and yelling at a black bear worked best for me.

Never been closer than 50yds to a grizzly, never want to be either.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
I keep a .45-70 levergun on camping trips.

Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
That’s a great round. Kicks like a mule but easy to handle.

Friend of mine uses one as his hog gun.
It is. I keep hornady in it most times but i also have rounds machined out of solid brass and loaded hot for grizz or double decker bus.

Im getting things together to “thumper” it this summer. Friend is an old OLD school gunsmith who’s basement looks like a ww2 weapons machine shop. Ill bring down a case of beer and we’ll knock it out then ill send it for coating.

545807CE-E453-4143-9C08-0633EAF73786.jpeg

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Never been closer than 50yds to a grizzly, never want to be either.
How about 10 feet from a 2 year old coastal grizzly? This was in Katmai NP last summer with absolutely no protection of any sorts... This guy was about 400 pounds according to the guide..

Jeep Gladiator What type of protection if any? 126EC12C-49D4-4571-8755-E054EE7FC693

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Depends, if just out and about bring the .45 if hunting and such well the 12 gauge with slugs and or 30-06. But ALWAYS the 1911.
Your 1911 is a .45 right?

As for bringing a gun...

If you have a gun and you're out camping, etc., it won't do any good if it's at home.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
How about 10 feet from a 2 year old coastal grizzly? This was in Katmai NP last summer with absolutely no protection of any sorts... This guy was about 400 pounds according to the guide..

Jeep Gladiator What type of protection if any? 126EC12C-49D4-4571-8755-E054EE7FC693
I'd bring a gun because I'm not confident I'd be able to run faster than you :whew:

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Thanks for the info! As a new gun owner myself, I see things differently now and can’t imagine going out on a camping trip without bear spray and a gun. There’s a lot to consider though as far as the legality of carrying in certain areas but I feel most would bring along some protection just in case.
I see that you’re in Cali. I would be particularly careful about the laws in your state and New York and New Jersey... but as I said above...be the gray man..

dakota.morgan91

First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(ordered) 2021 Gladiator Willys
Bringing for protection though right? I’ve never camped but will be doing a lot of camping with the family and I just feel there is a need to make sure I’m covered in case I come across any trouble but I could be wrong here, not sure
unless you have a longer barrell! ;) the 9mm coming out of my ruger pc9 has the energy of a 357 out of a revolver! Not too shabby!

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I heard people use Pepper Spray and a whistle. As a hunter it’s the most popular things found in bear scat. 🤣😂
Sponsored