What type of protection if any?

unsocbl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys Eco-diesel
Firm 2A supporter and if you ever see me, I'm armed.

However, pistols and bears don't mix...it's slightly better than a snowballs chance in hell but not much. They work much better as an intimidation factor against people. In the unfortunate scenario where you have to use it, humans die or become incapacitated incredibly easy compared to our furry friends. If you think you may require the use of a pistol, large caliber and jacketed rounds are your best bet (please never try shooting a thick furred animal with self defense rounds...they will literally laugh at you)

The 45-70 above is a much better option, but bear spray is the best bet for bears.

Also, all Federal parks are 'gun-free' zones, so just know the risk going in. I'd rather pay a ticket than attend my funeral, but be aware of any gun laws (you're in California so good luck with that).
Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
However, pistols and bears don't mix...it's slightly better than a snowballs chance in hell but not much.
Not intending to derail, MOST pistols and bears dont mix. A 44mag, 460SW, or 500mag would be fine by me for just about any bear given hot, hard cast loads are available

OP
OP
D10S86

D10S86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge gladiator, x3
Occupation
Controller
Vehicle Showcase
Your 1911 is a .45 right?

As for bringing a gun...

If you have a gun and you're out camping, etc., it won't do any good if it's at home.
Good point. I can’t wait to use that one on my wife.

unsocbl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys Eco-diesel
Not intending to derail, MOST pistols and bears dont mix. A 44mag, 460SW, or 500mag would be fine by me for just about any bear given hot, hard cast loads are available
My favorite range gun (Nothing brings people over like the sound of the Desert Eagle .50)

Annotation (37).png

Sponsored

OP
OP
D10S86

D10S86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge gladiator, x3
Occupation
Controller
Vehicle Showcase

However, pistols and bears don't mix...it's slightly better than a snowballs chance in hell but not much. They work much better as an intimidation factor against people. In the unfortunate scenario where you have to use it, humans die or become incapacitated incredibly easy compared to our furry friends. If you think you may require the use of a pistol, large caliber and jacketed rounds are your best bet (please never try shooting a thick furred animal with self defense rounds...they will literally laugh at you)

The 45-70 above is a much better option, but bear spray is the best bet for bears.

Also, all Federal parks are 'gun-free' zones, so just know the risk going in. I'd rather pay a ticket than attend my funeral, but be aware of any gun laws (you're in California so good luck with that).
My main concern here in Cali is the possibility of dealing with folks crossing the border and trying to come up on supply and a new 4x4. Not saying those folks would do that, most likely I wouldn’t even see them but you never know. Also meth labs in the middle of nowhere and cartel or drug dealers. Again, this could all be a far stretch but I’d rather be prepared for anything than to be risking it. Either way, I’ll prepare far in advance and hope to stay away from potential danger.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Federal law was amended during the 2nd Bush Administration to allow CCW holders to carry their firearms in National Parks. You are NOT allowed to carry inside Federal buildings in the Parks, however.

Discharging a firearm in the Park is still illegal. Gov't logic.

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Heck even when we were deer hunting I'd still carry. Walking into a grow site by accident is a thing. That all died down for a few years after legalization, now it's turned into tax avoidance and is a problem again!

My main concern here in Cali is the possibility of dealing with folks crossing the border and trying to come up on supply and a new 4x4. Not saying those folks would do that, most likely I wouldn’t even see them but you never know. Also meth labs in the middle of nowhere and cartel or drug dealers. Again, this could all be a far stretch but I’d rather be prepared for anything than to be risking it. Either way, I’ll prepare far in advance and hope to stay away from potential danger.

Clay

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired LEO
Love my Colt 1911! Come to think of it, I love all three of them!

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Love my Colt 1911! Come to think of it, I love all three of them!
There are some really nice Colts out there. Nice. Post pics pls.

Given a choice, the 1911 is always my go-to.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Hot loaded .357 or 10mm is the starting point for black bear; .44 is more what you want for brown. There was a survey of firearm-related bear incidents that showed even 9mm could be effective but in reality, caliber doesn't mean shit if you don't hit it somewhere that matters.
Sponsored