Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTMT, 2004 R1150GS, 1979 R100
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Art Teacher, Blacksmith
Yeah, I know - been mandated since sometime in the 30s. That's the era I noticed it in antique cars.
I've been in the auto industry for 5 decades and into classics and antiques.
I've also been involved in the butyl vs. urethane thing for classic cars.

If you'd seen my other posts and links to demonstrations of GG windshields, you'd see where I am coming from.
I don't give a rip what MOPAR says because if the GG layer is facing occupants, then the outer layer facing the bugs and rain is not GG. It's still going to chip and get sandblasted and be all sparkly after a few years.

Only one of the two layers of glass is GG - the one in the cabin, the other on the outside is soda lime glass.
The middle binding layer, the flexible layer, remains the same stuff.

People are buying this and assuming a warranty means it's chip proof and crack proof.
No way! It's less likely to suffer a a crack that means replacement, it's less likely to spiderweb, and it won't throw shards of glass in your face with a major impact............ but........
Even Corning says "two times more resistant" - not impervious, not that it will not crack, not that it will not chip, but it's more resistant.
That means it will resist certain impacts or certain types of impacts, and may resist cracking where an ordinary windshield would more easily crack.
But no one has said that it won't crack.
Out of 10 hits, where an ordinary windshield would crack 6 times out of those 10, GG would only crack 3 of those times, just for example.
When someone says their GG windshield chipped or cracked, they need to consider that it did NOT chip or crack other times when ordinary windshields would have cracked. In that time they'd have replaced 2 ordinary windshields and not just 1.

1661791913786.png

It reduces the chances of damage. If you get hit, you have a better chance, but it's still gonna crack and chip. The biggest thing is that these windshields take that rock almost directly at a 90, it's not a glancing blow.
So there's a great chance that when they say a windshield is two times more resistant, they are referring to a Compass, Mustang, etc.

1661792072440.png

1661792127060.png

Wow, THANK YOU for this detailed explanation! I appreciate your time.
Sponsored

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole
Bumping this up. Just got an email from Daniel Gupton because I was ready to order... Hydro Blue is gone for Wranglers and Mojave's.

Great. I don't want red, HV is too loud, and I refuse to buy another shade of silver/white/black/gray. Sarge Green is meh to me.

WTF Jeep??

DesertRated

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
Bumping this up. Just got an email from Daniel Gupton because I was ready to order... Hydro Blue is gone for Wranglers and Mojave's.

Great. I don't want red, HV is too loud, and I refuse to buy another shade of silver/white/black/gray. Sarge Green is meh to me.

WTF Jeep??
Pumpkin!!

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole
If its available to order, I'm doing it. But I really fell in love with the Blue.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Pumpkin!!
Is it actually available? I just built an Overland because I was curious as heck and going to be not happy if snazzberry was back again - no punkin, no snazzberry.
Maybe punk is available on the other levels like Mojave.
Interesting on the Overland they now come sans steps or running boards. That's extra now.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If its available to order, I'm doing it. But I really fell in love with the Blue.
That's why my second one is blue - would have gotten snazzberry but was 1 day too late.

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole
That's why my second one is blue - would have gotten snazzberry but was 1 day too late.
I like Snazzberry a lot.

I'm just thoroughly done with monotones. My last three three were all silver, her last two. I have a line on a Blue Mojave at a dealer but they're way overpriced compared to Gupton.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon

WTF Jeep??
When they dumped the Hydro Blue from the Ram truck line, figured we would not be too far behind.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
That's disappointing. And even more disappointing is Firecracker Red is also gone.
I can not find it readily but there was something posted awhile back breaking down the JT's built by color and not accounting for the normal rotation of limited run colors, of the basic colors, Firecracker Red was the lowest percentage at like 3% IIRC.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I can not find it readily but there was something posted awhile back breaking down the JT's built by color and not accounting for the normal rotation of limited run colors, of the basic colors, Firecracker Red was the lowest percentage at like 3% IIRC.
Hmmm, that's too bad, really, it's the color that sold me on these things. Even though I didn't buy one because I already have a really very red car and we've had so many red vehicles over the years, we decided no, no red this time........... otherwise, I liked it a lot.
What you say matches - I bet of the last 40 or so I've seen, including our trip a couple of months back where they were everywhere, I bet only 2 of them were red.

Well, I guess those in the firecracker red club here now have something to crow about! Limited edition ;) A rare color, but a beautiful color, IMO.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Hmmm, that's too bad, really, it's the color that sold me on these things.
Yeah, subconsciously one would think red would be a more popular color and more represented, but once you think about it, I see very few red Gladiators either on the road or on dealer lots when I have shopped.

Colors come in and out of fashion all the time, so I would not be surprise to either see it or another red variant again in the future.

troverman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
What is this American flag on the fender that is now standard? I don't see it.

Nukizer715

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2006 YAMAHA FZ1
@troverman
Jeep Gladiator What's New for 2023: Jeep Gladiator - Model Summary 5E61237F-6C85-4EF5-B42B-E3098B6FE46D
Jeep Gladiator What's New for 2023: Jeep Gladiator - Model Summary 6D2CAB37-497F-4D53-9922-48D706BFAEA6

Between the front fender flare and the front door on both fenders.

troverman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Thanks Nukizer. Nice little touch, but I've always felt the Gladiator badge on the fender should be something better than a decal.

On the other hand, its nice starting to see a few US flags appearing on automobiles. This is nice, and so is the flag embossed into the dash edges of every new F-150 pickup.
Sponsored