Sponsored

Whats the latest on Head Units?

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
My JL3001 is still chugging along, but its kinda slow and clunky and every once in a while I like to look and see if there are any new options available.

I went to google to do some looking, curious to see what the latest feedback is on the JL4001 since the launch was flunked by IA, looks like theyve actually gone out of business - website is down, head units being marked as discontinued by some vendors.

As far as I can tell, we still have the same options as before - Stinger, Phoenix, Alpine, and whatever is on Aliexpress. Doesnt seem like any of these have been updated / refreshed recently.

Am I missing anything? Has anyone heard any news of new options being developed or brought to market?
Sponsored

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' JTM, 22' JTR, 22' F56S,
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lockheed Martin ASW Test Technician
Vehicle Showcase
My JL3001 is still chugging along, but its kinda slow and clunky and every once in a while I like to look and see if there are any new options available.

I went to google to do some looking, curious to see what the latest feedback is on the JL4001 since the launch was flunked by IA, looks like theyve actually gone out of business - website is down, head units being marked as discontinued by some vendors.

As far as I can tell, we still have the same options as before - Stinger, Phoenix, Alpine, and whatever is on Aliexpress. Doesnt seem like any of these have been updated / refreshed recently.

Am I missing anything? Has anyone heard any news of new options being developed or brought to market?
what type of functionality are you looking for? Jeep specific functions integration kinda limit what you can find. If you just want an carplay/android auto then you have a few bit more options. Have you seen these?

https://phoenixautomotiveinc.com/pr...navigation-radio-for-jeep-gladiator-2020-2021

MaximusTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD, 23 Rubicon 392, 88 Samurai, 70 Chevelle
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
ShastaJT6

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
If you want to replace you gauge cluster as well and go with a full digital display that also has wireless carplay, 360 cameras with DVR as an add-on option and additional benefits you could go with this:

Carobotor J-Max Digital Instrument Cluster Dashboard+radio For Jeep wrangler JL / JT (2018 UP)
I appreciate the suggestion, and I think these are pretty neat, but im not really looking for the whole dash replacement, Id prefer to keep it to just the head unit - thanks!

OP
OP
ShastaJT6

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
what type of functionality are you looking for? Jeep specific functions integration kinda limit what you can find. If you just want an carplay/android auto then you have a few bit more options. Have you seen these?

https://phoenixautomotiveinc.com/pr...navigation-radio-for-jeep-gladiator-2020-2021
You know, I looked at these in the past, but I recall the specs being pretty lackluster - I may be remembering incorrectly.

Either way, looking at the options listed on the site, they definitely seem to outclass the JL3001. The 8gb ram option is really appealing to me, vs the 4gb my JL3001 has. Ive always felt that if I did replace the JL3001, Id go with one of these style with the large vertical display - the linkswell or the phoenix.

I think im gonna have to see if I can pull a few overtime days and stash some away to nab one of these. TBD.

Edit: To answer your question, I actually specifically dont want android auto ? The limited apps / functionality of android auto was why I replaced the OEM one to begin with. I do like that the Phoenix has sim integration, I wouldnt have to deal with my hotspot every time I get in the truck.. that ones growing on me.
Sponsored