Sponsored

When are E-lockers coming to market? >:(

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
At the end of the day, it's all in coding.
There is a way around it.
Question is, is someone willing to spend the time and figure it out.

I'm pretty sure someone could figure out what wires to disconnect and what resistor to put in place in order to bypass the programming if someone wanted to be crude about it.
That's black box coding. The triggers for the lockers can be emulated because the signals themselves can be monitored, recorded, and reproduced on the CAN bus. CAN unfortunately isn't a simple protocol in that regard and the trigger to lock both is in all likelihood a single trigger signal.

That means the trigger signal to lock just the front is at best a signal you'd have to find through guess and check (which might also do other bad things in the process) and at worst, nonexistent in the system. So worst case, that means aside from unlocking and reprogramming the module, there's no way to make it happen.

So you are right, it is just code and if someone had access to the code, it would be trivial to provide a signal on the front locker pin but that's just unfortunately not the case in practice.
Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
It's good to see Dutchman is still in the market, I had not seen or heard much of them in years.

I'm still waiting for more locker options too. I break traction in my driveway and spin tire. ARB air-locker is top line but I'm not wanting to add onboard air just for lockers just yet. I'd be good with a "lunchbox locker" even. My XJ has had one since I re-gear to 4:56 that and D44 w Trac-Loc in rear works out for me. It was just "point and go".

If I get a set of Rubicon JT axles, I would probably wire them with out going through the OEM and just use "clean switch's" for them, then I could engage them in 4 Hi,4 low or rear in 2WD.
FYI to the member that I msg about a set, if you still have them, I'm saving up $ and ready for a road trip. ;)

Last edited:

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
I'm wondering if (not if - how) it could be done as a standalone/discrete circuit?

It shouldnt be too hard to figure out what the solenoid is looking for and supply that signal manually.

That's black box coding. The triggers for the lockers can be emulated because the signals themselves can be monitored, recorded, and reproduced on the CAN bus. CAN unfortunately isn't a simple protocol in that regard and the trigger to lock both is in all likelihood a single trigger signal.

That means the trigger signal to lock just the front is at best a signal you'd have to find through guess and check (which might also do other bad things in the process) and at worst, nonexistent in the system. So worst case, that means aside from unlocking and reprogramming the module, there's no way to make it happen.

So you are right, it is just code and if someone had access to the code, it would be trivial to provide a signal on the front locker pin but that's just unfortunately not the case in practice.
Sponsored