Sponsored

When it's battery replacement time what are you choosing?

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
$180 Wally World special. Also benefited from deleting the Aux.
Sponsored

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I just bought three Odyssey Extreme AGM batteries for various applications.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter

BigMike62

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Rubicon
Don't overthink it. For my '14 JKR, I just had to have an Odyssey because everyone said they were the best. Pfst. It didn't last as long as the original but was replaced under warranty but it had to be ordered. When that one started getting weak, I bought a Die Hard at Advance Auto. I can get it replaced anywhere in the country and they always have them on-hand.

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
So is the H6 the standard size? Or H7? Anything special need to be done when swapping in new battery? Worried since there are 2 batteries.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Anything special need to be done when swapping in new battery? Worried since there are 2 batteries.
Yes.
Take care to separate the two ground cables from each other and keep cables from contacting ground.
CHARGE each battery independently with a good AGM capable charger - using the AGM setting. Make sure to fully charge - it can take a few hours, depending on the battery or how long it's been sitting. Don't just toss in new batteries without charging. That's a big mistake way too many people make, even in ordinary cars "oh, the alternator will charge it" - shade-tree talk there. Charge the batteries.
While doing that, set the IBS (intelligent battery sensor) aside as it will reset after a few minutes (like 10-15 minutes or so) so that it's put on reset, blanked out, onto batteries with a full charge.
Simply disconnecting that IBS resets it, no need to do something special. While it's off the cables and off the battery, it's got no power so will reset.

IMO the best way to access the small aux battery is turn the wheels to the left, and go in behind the right front tire, pulling back only the rear part of the fender liner and you can get right to it. No worry about disconnecting other electrical stuff that way.

Just keep cable ends from touching each other and grounds.
The two black cables that go to the IBS on the main battery negative terminal - disconnect those from each other to be safe,, IMO - I get paranoid about blowing an expensive high current fuse so may go above and beyond that way.

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
Yes.
Take care to separate the two ground cables from each other and keep cables from contacting ground.
CHARGE each battery independently with a good AGM capable charger - using the AGM setting. Make sure to fully charge - it can take a few hours, depending on the battery or how long it's been sitting. Don't just toss in new batteries without charging. That's a big mistake way too many people make, even in ordinary cars "oh, the alternator will charge it" - shade-tree talk there. Charge the batteries.
While doing that, set the IBS (intelligent battery sensor) aside as it will reset after a few minutes (like 10-15 minutes or so) so that it's put on reset, blanked out, onto batteries with a full charge.
Simply disconnecting that IBS resets it, no need to do something special. While it's off the cables and off the battery, it's got no power so will reset.

IMO the best way to access the small aux battery is turn the wheels to the left, and go in behind the right front tire, pulling back only the rear part of the fender liner and you can get right to it. No worry about disconnecting other electrical stuff that way.

Just keep cable ends from touching each other and grounds.
The two black cables that go to the IBS on the main battery negative terminal - disconnect those from each other to be safe,, IMO - I get paranoid about blowing an expensive high current fuse so may go above and beyond that way.
Would you recommend staying with a H6 or going to a H7 battery?

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
I have a local family battery warehouse that has a house brand battery and carry a better warranty then OEM or your normal auto part slinger stores

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
No need to not go to an H7 if you want. Depending on the options/equipment you have, you may already have the H7 battery.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
What Jeff said. Best bet is a quality battery, regardless of "size".

No need to not go to an H7 if you want. Depending on the options/equipment you have, you may already have the H7 battery.
Yeah, this - if you have the aux switches from the factory, you have the larger battery in the main battery tray. If you don't have the aux switches, you likely have the smaller battery. Frankly there's not a lot of difference in the amperage between the two.
I have this thing about using the largest battery amps-wise that will fit in a battery tray, but is there hard science behind it? It's just how I came up through the shops and working on cars over the years. These things crank over pretty easily and start in a snap. It's not like needing something massive for a 454 high compression Chevy in the middle of winter.

My 2020 Overland did not have the aux switches but was otherwise loaded - it had the slightly smaller battery.
My 2022 Overland has the exact same equipment - but has the factory aux switches and the larger battery is part of that package. (if you look at order guides, it's listed as part of the aux switch package)

Sponsored

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
TX-94R/H7 80 Ah AGM 850 CCA
Odyssey Performance AGM94R H7 L4 850 CCA
Super Start Platinum H7 SSB94RPLT 800 CCA
Napa P/N 9894R H7 800 CCA
Batteries+ X2 Power H7 Group 94R SLI94RAGMDP 840 CCA
EverStart Platinum AGM Battery, Group Size 94 H7 800 CCA (Walmart)
Optima YELLOWTOP AGM YEL94R DH7 Group 94 880 CCA
DieHard Platinum AGM Lead Acid Battery, Group H7 850 CCA
Motomaster Eliminator AGM Group Size 94R (H7/L4) 800 CCA
Duracell AGM 94R H7 800 CCA (Sam's Club)
94RAGM ACDelco AGM G
Add the FT850-94R to that list too.

Tim Detour

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR-D
Occupation
I&E
in the past i have had very good luck with Odyssey batteries.
so, i have been reading up on these pages on batteries, deleting, keeping the aux, and associated parts. i gotta say that it has changed my mind on a few things. most of the info here seems solid.

i guess you can call me a "greybeard" when it comes to TJs as i've had the same one since they came to this world. but... i have a lot to learn about my JT which i've had for almost two years.

all the information that you guys continually crank out sure is appreciated!!
thank you :)
Sponsored