Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Therapist
Jeep Gladiator Where do I go from here? IMG_1508

So I finally got my wheels and tires and outside of the basic changes going up in tire size, I’m left wondering where do I go from here in getting my truck where I want it. When I got my Overland, I knew I would lack some of the off road performance the other trims offer but was willing to offset that with more comfort and drivability on the road and I wanted my build to be the best of both worlds without too much sacrifice for on road driving but wanting to do intermediate level trails easier. With that said, what do you all think I can do to make it more capable? As it sits now, I’m running the Mopar lift and 35x12.5. I was thinking of doing an intake kit to increase air flow but I’m thinking new drive shaft/sway bar links etc. I’m a couple years away from regear and lockers financially but I don’t want to stop doing what I can in the meantime to get it where I want. Thanks!
Sponsored

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Are your axles centered well enough for your liking?

Might consider a front track bar and a rear track bar or bracket.

OP
OP
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Therapist
Can you explain more about the axles being centered? And someone on Reddit had recommended track bars before and sent me a link but I may have lost it. I’ll try and find it and post it here.

OP
OP
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Therapist

LouisvEarlleJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Willys Earl
Wheels/tires/lift is a pretty big step. I recommend driving it for 6 months and just making a list as you go. You might find you're content as-is or maybe there's something you want to change based on some Jeep you see when you're out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Therapist
Wheels/tires/lift is a pretty big step. I recommend driving it for 6 months and just making a list as you go. You might find you're content as-is or maybe there's something you want to change based on some Jeep you see when you're out.
That’s fair and I think my wife would agree with that lol. With some trail rides and hunting season coming up within the next few months, I guess I am thinking I’ll be underprepared or not built enough. Can’t find out if I don’t try it though.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Can you explain more about the axles being centered? And someone on Reddit had recommended track bars before and sent me a link but I may have lost it. I’ll try and find it and post it here.
When you lift something with link suspension and track bars, the axles will shift to the side where the track bar attaches to the frame.

On a Gladiator, front axle shifts to the driver side, rear axle shifts to the passenger side.

It's not as noticeable on smaller lifts and you can leave the axles slightly off center without issues.

Jeep Gladiator Where do I go from here? Track Bar Axle Shift

Ghosts40

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladitor Sport
Occupation
Construction Manager
I would say 2.5" spacer lift is probably about as high as you would want to go without buying a new adjustable track bar!

Not2Late

First Name
Tarik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2017 Jeep JK
Occupation
Education
Jeeps are quite capable "out of the box". I think the lift and the bigger/AT type tires you have will build on that and are the first thing I would recommend to increase off-road capability. You will be amazed at what you will be able to do. I would drive it for a while and see how you like it before doing gears and lockers. It you don't do the type of wheeling that requires lockers, it may not be worth the investment. You may actually benefit more from a limited slip rear for everyday/snowy roads driving. And depending on the gears you have in it now, it may be ok with 35's if you are not planning on rock crawling.

I'd pass on the intake. To really see any increases, you would have to work on the breathing all along the track including exhaust. And most of those kits don't protect against water/debris intrusion as well as the stock set up - unless you go with a snorkel.

The only thing I would add if you are going to go wheeling now is some sort of recovery option. Maybe some recovery (traction) boards to get out of some mud or sand. Cheaper at this point than a bumper/winch.

tobyw

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT-R
With that said, what do you all think I can do to make it more capable?
The most effective thing you can do is drive it... As Not2Late stated above, you'd be amazed at where it'll take you just as it sits, and I'd wager to say it'll take you everywhere you want it to. The rest is just eye candy until you are ready to cross a line.

Sponsored

JTenn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 21 JT Willys
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Sway bar disconnects would also be an affordable upgrade that will payoff big on the trail. It will allow your tires to remain in contact on more technical terrain than with your sway bar connected. This will make up some for the need of lockers on mild to moderate trails. JKS makes a great adjustable disconnect system.

JKS 2018-2020 Compatible with Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 Gladiator JT Quicker Disconnect Fits 0-2.0" Lift JKS2032 https://a.co/d/02nQDPg

OP
OP
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Therapist
Jeeps are quite capable "out of the box". I think the lift and the bigger/AT type tires you have will build on that and are the first thing I would recommend to increase off-road capability. You will be amazed at what you will be able to do. I would drive it for a while and see how you like it before doing gears and lockers. It you don't do the type of wheeling that requires lockers, it may not be worth the investment. You may actually benefit more from a limited slip rear for everyday/snowy roads driving. And depending on the gears you have in it now, it may be ok with 35's if you are not planning on rock crawling.

I'd pass on the intake. To really see any increases, you would have to work on the breathing all along the track including exhaust. And most of those kits don't protect against water/debris intrusion as well as the stock set up - unless you go with a snorkel.

The only thing I would add if you are going to go wheeling now is some sort of recovery option. Maybe some recovery (traction) boards to get out of some mud or sand. Cheaper at this point than a bumper/winch.
I appreciate the feedback, thanks!
Sponsored