Sponsored

Where do you "off-road" in Texas?

Great Offender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S - MT
I'm sorry if this sounds like a whine but there is a question in here, "Where do you off road in Texas"? I posted a "tongue in cheek" comment about people bragging of the snow and ice we receive here but I wanted to know what they did in that snow and ice. I'm not set up for rock climbing but miss taking adventurous journeys through the mountains and forests that other states seem to have an abundance of.

For context, Texas is the second largest state in the U.S. but 95% of it is privately owned leaving it to be known, by me, as the "Keep off the Grass" state. I am lucky enough to live near one of the very few national parks here that affords us over 60 miles of undeveloped coast which leaves lots of beach/sand driving except the beach along this drive can be mostly done in a 2wd sedan. This leaves you hours of driving where the scenery never changes. You get water on one side and dunes on the other with perhaps the errant coyote to break up the monotony.

There are a few places up North and Big Bend down South but nothing closer than 8 hours away. I don't want to discount the Adventure Parks here but I'm not looking to wait in line to climb a rock obstacle because it's the only thing available (that was a whine). Where I grew up, and I'm sure it was like this for most of you, we spent or childhood adventuring through the woods and driving anything that would move while scouting for the next party/bonfire location. I'm sure the majority of the people reading this post or participating in this forum know of at least one if not a handful of places they can go to on a moments notice to just get out in nature. NOT HERE! They do enjoy cutting trees down but just don't let you drive thru them.

I know I know, "if you don't like it, leave". Unfortunately my wife and I are both here for work with her anchoring us here. Retirement is more realistic than relocating at this point in my life so I am going back to the original question,

Where do you off-road in Texas?
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Same problem deer hunters in Texas run into and most have to buy into a deer lease and or have friends let them hunt on their land.

There is very little state public land and even less Federal land to allow unfettered off-roading.

OP
OP
Great Offender

Great Offender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hunting in TX is a joke for all the reasons you just mentioned. You need to buy your way into a canned hunt on someones fenced in property. No public or federal (by design) land.

Guess I'm just ragging on TX today but I really thought I would get more use out of the JT as a toy and I though it would back memories of Jeeps in other states. Oh well I guess it will remain my "Pretty Texas Driveway Princess" like the rest of them here.

jeepers29

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, GC
Occupation
Domestic engineer
We wheel areselfs from Austin to Colorado. LOL I quit Hidden falls years ago. Way to much dust and nothing to look at but cedar trees.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Great Offender

Great Offender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hidden Falls Adventure Park | Texas' Premiere Off-Road Park | 7030 E FM 1431, Marble Falls TX, USA
Thanks Drew. I am aware of it and it is only 4 rather than most 8 hours treks. There are several web sites that will list the "best places to overland .... Texas". I think I was just upset that a state this big has so few public areas and those areas are all hours apart from each other. There really are no Forest Service roads or BLM (not allowed in TX) trails. Just a shame.

We wheel areselfs from Austin to Colorado. LOL
Going to make a long trip in the spring from Big Bend to NM and then up to CO.

Levi.Butler

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Engineer
I am going to try and say this as gently as possible...

There are a lot more places than you think but they're mostly word of mouth, kind of hush hush super secret squirrel... and someone who boohoos and get shitty about Texas isn't going to get those invites.

OP
OP
Great Offender

Great Offender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am going to try and say this as gently as possible...

There are a lot more places than you think but they're mostly word of mouth, kind of hush hush super secret squirrel... and someone who boohoos and get shitty about Texas isn't going to get those invites.
Then I guess I'll never find them then as I tend to move in adult circles now that my younger days are long past. Told you in the beginning that it was going to sound like a whine but I don't think I misrepresented any of my statements, I'm just bummed out about it.

Never said "your"state sucked it was just facts. You shouldn't feel so defensive. I did live/work in Houston for a decade and that's a story rich with uncomfortable facts :LOL:

Levi.Butler

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Engineer
I mean, be honest, if you ran into you on the trails (of which there aren't many) would you want to hang out with you? I wouldn't.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I mean, be honest, if you ran into you on the trails (of which there aren't many) would you want to hang out with you? I wouldn't.
You read a lot more into his statement than I did.

OP
OP
Great Offender

Great Offender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
would you want to hang out with you? I wouldn't.
Please lighten up. Especially this time of year! Despite taking a shot at me this was never personal or about you so ...???
You read a lot more into his statement than I did.
I guess so? Some folks here are super defensive of Texas and it was never a swipe at TX. Although a bit snide I was merely pointing out the lack of public space. No more, no less.

Levi.Butler

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Engineer
Please lighten up. Especially this time of year! Despite taking a shot at me this was never personal or about you so ...???

I guess so? Some folks here are super defensive of Texas and it was never a swipe at TX. Although a bit snide I was merely pointing out the lack of public space. No more, no less.
All I'm saying is that you're a grown man, you call yourself the 'Great Offender', you say your rig isn't 'set up for rock crawling' and you admit that you're about to sound whiney and then you still let it come out of your mouth.

With that in mind, I figure I can make a few safe assumptions.

1. You drive a bone stock base model
2. You're not someone I'd ever want to kick it with
3. You're tough enough to be okay if someone tells you that

If that's all false, Texas might not be the place for you, brother.

OP
OP
Great Offender

Great Offender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for your insights Levi. I didn't start the thread to pick a fight with anyone because it was merely a snarky legitimate question and I will not argue or level accusations against someone I do not know online.

No matter how you try to insult or patronize me with personal attacks, I'm still going to take the high road and once again "thank you for participating in the conversation", "have a nice day" and "Merry Christmas"!

Last edited: