Sponsored

Whining noise from steering wheel

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NAS Defender 110
I noticed when turning the wheel that my steering makes a whining sound kind of like an air leak. Extremely annoying, it only happens for a couple seconds after there’s movement on the steering wheel, more noticeable when the car is parked with the engine running. It’s a 22 Rubicon with 500 miles, it started around the 200 mile mark.
Is this normal? How do you guys cope with it, other than listening to the radio louder.
Did research the forum and saw some members with the same issue, but I don’t know if there’s fix for it.
Thanks,
J
Sponsored

Attachments

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It would have to be pretty loud to be annoying - why would you move the steering wheel when parked?
Sounds to me like it's a rare noise, only happens for a short time when turning?

I'm a little confused as it sounds like a rare sound, only happens at specific or certain times and yet you find it annoying enough to turn the radio up.
I hear only normal sounds of hydraulics in mine.
How about talking to the dealer if you really believe it to be a defect.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Did research the forum and saw some members with the same issue, but I don’t know if there’s fix for it.
If it's not the hydraulic steering pump, what did you research find out?

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
My JT does it too. The dealer kept my truck for 3 days and ended up telling me it was normal (it’s not). That was at about 2k miles on the truck, all stock. Still does it til this day 16k miles later. No issues with steering performance though.

I just don’t have the time to lose my truck without a loaner which is a rarity these days….especially if the dealer is gonna bs me on the the diagnosis. I can’t stand people wasting my time.

Mine is also louder when parked but I can hear it when turning corners in a parking garage very easily as well. I have no idea what’s causing it.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Nothing really, either I have an issue or everyone is ok with the noise. Just added a video.
I don't really hear anything. Might want to open the hood and have someone turn the steering wheel off recording a video.

Rocksride

First Name
Rock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude
Occupation
USCG Retired
Mine is doing the same. Even the slightest wheel movement makes a whining noise for 5 sec or so. Any determination if this is normal or common problem. Got to take it in for dealer to look at front fender paint. First time I put ceramic on it found the right fender has grit in the paint. Being white you cannot see it easily but can feel it big time.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has been getting worse at doing the opposite - parallel parking is a b^&#* in mine as the steering doesn't react when I try to turn the wheels. It's a bit better in warm weather with the tires at 36 psi but when the temp drops and the tires sit at 33 psi, good luck parking this thing.
No whine at all.
I need to put JSCAN on it and set it to monitor the PS pump operation.

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
It would have to be pretty loud to be annoying - why would you move the steering wheel when parked?
Sounds to me like it's a rare noise, only happens for a short time when turning?

I'm a little confused as it sounds like a rare sound, only happens at specific or certain times and yet you find it annoying enough to turn the radio up.
I hear only normal sounds of hydraulics in mine.
How about talking to the dealer if you really believe it to be a defect.
guy: Doctor it hurts when I do this.

doctor: well then don't do that.

Sponsored

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Steering pump is electric, that's what you're hearing.
Shouldn't be very loud - could indicate air in the system if there's a whine.
These pumps are really quiet, IMO. I only hear mine if I have the hood open and turning the steering wheel. A loud enough whine isn't normal. Even the old engine-driven pumps shouldn't whine, and a whine usually indicated an excessive load, air/low fluid or a worn pump.

Air in the system can be checked and purged -

Jeep Gladiator Whining noise from steering wheel PXL_20231108_222856578

Attachments

Last edited:

Rocksride

First Name
Rock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude
Occupation
USCG Retired
Mine is doing the same. Even the slightest wheel movement makes a whining noise for 5 sec or so. Any determination if this is normal or common problem. Got to take it in for dealer to look at front fender paint. First time I put ceramic on it found the right fender has grit in the paint. Being white you cannot see it easily but can feel it big time.
Brought it to the dealer they had it for the day. Said it’s not a problem but if it gets louder bring it back will look at it again. BS. All you have to do is just tap the wheel and you hear the noise for 5-10 sec. My buddies has no noise at all.
Sponsored