Sponsored

White smoke after starting

seanmh72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Was driving around a bit, maybe 20 minutes. Came home and left the truck in the driveway. After about 2 hours, started the truck to put it in the garage. Big ole puff of white/gray smoke poured out of the back end.

8,000 miles on a 2020.

What was weird was that I went into a dip (drainage) in the street that I had driven through hundreds of times earlier and hear and felt a scrape on the right hand side. Didn’t see anything under it or loose.

let it sit for a bit to see if the smoke came back, but was clean.

ideas?
Sponsored

glassjawkid32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hate to be that guy but are you sure it's not just condensation? Seen too many guys claiming blown head gasket over the years when they see someone else start up a vehicle lol.

Sponsored

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
Hate to be that guy but are you sure it's not just condensation? Seen too many guys claiming blown head gasket over the years when they see someone else start up a vehicle lol.
Exactly.

Water vapor. Maybe it pools a bit differently in the JT exhausts vs other vehicles so it takes some by surprise. But. Its normal as you stated.

glassjawkid32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Exactly.

Water vapor. Maybe it pools a bit differently in the JT exhausts vs other vehicles so it takes some by surprise. But. Its normal as you stated.
I think lighting also plays a role. Some lighting conditions can make it appear more white, but coolant burn off leaves no questioning usually. Looks clearly white in any light.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
If it happens again hop out and see if it smells like anything
Amen. If it's coolant, it's a smell you will never ever forget. It's really potent, can't compare it to anything else. I worked as a mechanic for many years and the first time I smelled that - I knew what it was. Water vapor won't add to the smell or odor of exhaust through a cat, but coolant, wow.

In the older cars before sealed cooling systems with vacuum/pressure recovery tanks, it was simple to diagnose. There was a large syringe that you would put over the radiator opening after pulling the cap and any CO in the coolant made the sensing materials change color or something like that... been a few years LOL
We'd also put our pressure testers on the vehicle and jack the pressure up to something 18 psi or so and let it sit - if there was a leak it would not only not hold the pressure, but that much pressure would force coolant into the combustion chambers and force the thing to burn coolant. Heat expands things so letting them cool was the best test for us.
Sponsored