Sponsored

Who Has Just The Soft Top????

mtngoat92081

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow, Mazdaspeed 3
I had to order mine because I could not find a soft top here in SoCal. I specifically wanted the soft top because I commute early in the AM when it's cold, but then in the afternoon I like taking the top down on my way home from work. Hard top doesn't allow me to do that. This is my 4th Jeep and I've only had 1 hard top and it was basically taking up space in my garage. I've noticed this new top design is actually not much louder than the hard top. As far as the "man bun" don't really care. I think a soft top is somewhat of unicorn around here as well since many times I get comments like, " I wish I could have gotten a soft top "
Sponsored

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2016 Volvo Xc90 Polestar
Occupation
Finder of bad stuff and people.
Vehicle Showcase
A couple of notes- Besttop makes the OEM so it's very unlikely that there will be a decent aftermarket one from them anytime soon, I bought mine hoping to find an aftermarket Trektop like I had in my JKU- no dice, also Best top is on this forum somewhere and they talk about the engineering and manufacturing involved in the top- this is way more involved than a couple of bows and some door surrounds- wrong top will act like a parachute and snap because its above the air curve for the vehicle- the frame the top is mounted on is way more heavy duty (and heavy) than any soft top I've seen short of powered convertibles.

There are also videos of sound measurementswith the premium soft top vs the hard top and the noise difference is negligible when closed.

GobiGlad386

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland North Edition; 2014 Dodge Challenger R/T 6spd 100th Anniversary
Occupation
Appraiser
Same as has been said: The dealers just don't stock soft tops. I was forced to buy a hard top, figured I'd buy a st used here on the forums (which I did end up doing). Spent 6 mos. total with the hard top, dealt with storing freedom panels, on, off, on off. Got my soft top and haven't looked back. I did consider the Sunrider, but the cost is significant for what it is and its really just a fabric sunroof in the end - boring. Get the premium twill soft top and be done with it.

Sponsored

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
On the jku it’s a 20 - 30 min thing, after a few times.... and a helper because it’s big.
My opinion is hard tops are enough work you won’t actually take it off regularly / comparing to when you may have put down the soft top.

impromptu trips to the store, ride home from work on a surprisingly nice evening... things like that. Freedom panels are better than no option, but not the same imo
Agreed here. I bought a soft top and will put it on in the Spring. The question for me is after I leave it on through Thanksgiving due to laziness/ weather optimism will I actually swap back to the hard top

joesgator

First Name
Jose Chaparro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Therapist
I've got both tops. Hard top was on for about 3 weeks and has been in storage ever since. If your gonna have image issues about the man bun like a lot of people do then its likely not for you. Almost every day here in South Texas is top off day but chances of rain. So drop the top down in a flash and if needed it goes back up in a flash. I can't put it in the garage so at night it goes back into place. It I want to take everything off that doesn't take long either
Do you plan to sell the hard top?

joesgator

First Name
Jose Chaparro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Therapist
I have a ST premium and would like to see if anyone would trade for a HT. Love the ST but have other plans in mind and don't want to have both and having to store one. I'm located in the San Antonio/Austin area.

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
So on my JKU, the hard top has been stored 4 counties west in a drive-in shed for several years; use soft top year-round. Lately, I've gotten lazy and leave soft top up and remove side and back pieces and take the doors off during the summer.

Can you do the same with the JT soft top - take off the sides and rear and leave the top on? I'd appreciate a picture to see what that would look like.
Not my shot, but a quick search found this ...

http://www.miamilakesautomall.com/j...es/84/2019/06/MLAM-Wrangler-vs.-Gladiator.jpg

Sponsored

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly I think the hard top makes the JT look like a Chop-top hot rod that should be riding on 20" rims and low profile street tires. I'll see you on the trail with top down and doors off, 17" wheels and 37's roll'n @ 15lbs of pressure. Drive safe, hard or soft top.

JayKrup

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I wanted the diesel Rubicon with the premium soft top. That is a unicorn. Had to order it and wait 2 months. I wanted just the soft top because my back seat passengers would be mad if the top wasn't open over them and I don't really have a place to store the hard top. Also since I live in the south everyday there is the possibility of rain no matter what so I don't like to be out without the top.
Jeep Gladiator Who Has Just The Soft Top???? 2020-Jeep-Gladiator-06
I did the same.. loving the Diesel

EXTORTION

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Law Enforcement
My 2020 Mojave came with hard top. I immediately swapped it for a soft top and have no regrets.