Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
What would happen if someone were to introduce the possibilities of a reaction of air with Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) inside the tires?
Meh, you're all wet. I hear besides natural gas, the government want's to ban that, too, because it can lead to death if you drink too much of it.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I was told only the dealer can remove the green caps
Why, does it take a special tool?
Maybe they are metric. I wonder what size wrench they take. Please don't say 10mm!

Jeep Gladiator Who knew! Damnit! 1673563271348

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
Meh, you're all wet. I hear besides natural gas, the government want's to ban that, too, because it can lead to death if you drink too much of it.
Numerous studies have shown trace amounts and more DHMO in the tissues of serial killers.

Fun fact - DHMO is used as coolant in nuclear power stations!

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why, does it take a special tool?
Maybe they are metric. I wonder what size wrench they take. Please don't say 10mm!

Jeep Gladiator Who knew! Damnit! 1673563271348
I have a metric adjustable that works great.

NCIC105

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired LEO
Anybody else dumb enough to take the factory green valve stem caps off and replace them with after market ones that SIEZE UP AND CORRODE???? 🤬🤬🤬
I always put a little anti-seize grease on the threads of the value stem. Never had an issue.

Sponsored

Costanzio66

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee wrangler renegade
The dealer put nitrogen in mine, so it came with the green plastic caps. The take-offs I bought came with the black plastic caps. I've had two tires patched that picked up nails. I just use regular air to top them off. After 3.5 years, I'm not sure how much nitrogen is left.
If you just using regular air, my guess is about 78% nitrogen. 😁

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
So, 80 posts abut green caps, nitrogen and beet juice (I run the beet juice in my tractor tires here NH), did the OP ever get his seized caps off?

Had the same issue when my wife put some aftermarket pink caps on her Jeep. I used a shaft drive dremel and a thin cutoff wheel, and cut the cap on a diagonal to the threads. Just like we used to do with frozen nuts in the machine shop. Be careful, you usually don't even need to go all the way through, chances are as you get close the heat from the cuttoff wheel will cause the remaining metal to crack when you get close to the threads. If they are really frozen on cut again on the opposite side rather than going crazy and damaging the stem pulling and twisting. You can do it without damaging the stem or the wheel.
Then I replaced them with pink plastic caps to make her happy.

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
The reason a nitrogen fill is preferred by some is that because its industrial gas there is zero humidity in it.
This made me laugh! Here's why...here in Arizona the dealerships can't upsell you with the dreaded "undercoating" add-on because we don't get moisture, salt roads, etc.; so they have developed other ingenious add-ons, such as the nitrogen filled tires. When I was negotiating with the dealership to buy my JTR, they tried to sell me this add-on.

"The green valve stem caps are an indication to the tech that you have the lifetime nitrogen and that they should fill with that whenever you are in for service."

"I'll have this thing off road every week and will be airing down and back up when I do it; so do I just drive back to the dealership afterwards and have them purge my tires?"

"Well...no...it doesn't work like that. Besides, you don't want to put compressed air in the tires because the moisture from the air will destroy the TPMS sensors"

"Are you telling me that FCA is the only car manufacturer that has TPMS sensors that can't handle actual air in the tires and will only function with nitrogen? Can we go walk around the lot and verify that every FCA product has green valve stem caps? If any don't, can we we get the part number of those TPMS sensors since they seem to be able to handle regular old compressed air?"

"Sir, the tires have already been filled with nitrogen..."

"Well, go ahead and replace the nitrogen with regular air. I'll wait..."

"I can't do that"

"Okay, the current price for nitrogen is $0.72 per cubic meter (I don't know if it actually was, but then neither did he). Let's figure out the volume of the 5 tires and I'll pay you for what is already in the tires because within an hour of driving off the lot, I will be on a trail and half of that nitrogen will be gone."

"I can't do that"

"So you are going to throw away the commission on a $60,000 sale over this $500 add-on?"

"Let me talk to my manager..."

Then I had the same circular conversation with the manager.

God, I love messing with those guys!!!! LOL

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This made me laugh! Here's why...here in Arizona the dealerships can't upsell you with the dreaded "undercoating" add-on because we don't get moisture, salt roads, etc.; so they have developed other ingenious add-ons, such as the nitrogen filled tires. When I was negotiating with the dealership to buy my JTR, they tried to sell me this add-on.

"The green valve stem caps are an indication to the tech that you have the lifetime nitrogen and that they should fill with that whenever you are in for service."

"I'll have this thing off road every week and will be airing down and back up when I do it; so do I just drive back to the dealership afterwards and have them purge my tires?"

"Well...no...it doesn't work like that. Besides, you don't want to put compressed air in the tires because the moisture from the air will destroy the TPMS sensors"

"Are you telling me that FCA is the only car manufacturer that has TPMS sensors that can't handle actual air in the tires and will only function with nitrogen? Can we go walk around the lot and verify that every FCA product has green valve stem caps? If any don't, can we we get the part number of those TPMS sensors since they seem to be able to handle regular old compressed air?"

"Sir, the tires have already been filled with nitrogen..."

"Well, go ahead and replace the nitrogen with regular air. I'll wait..."

"I can't do that"

"Okay, the current price for nitrogen is $0.72 per cubic meter (I don't know if it actually was, but then neither did he). Let's figure out the volume of the 5 tires and I'll pay you for what is already in the tires because within an hour of driving off the lot, I will be on a trail and half of that nitrogen will be gone."

"I can't do that"

"So you are going to throw away the commission on a $60,000 sale over this $500 add-on?"

"Let me talk to my manager..."

Then I had the same circular conversation with the manager.

God, I love messing with those guys!!!! LOL
They charge $500 for a "nitrogen fill". Amazing.

It's funny, Costco does a nitrogen fill when you buy tires from them. But they give it to you. And they will top off your tires any time for free. Ha.

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
They charge $500 for a "nitrogen fill". Amazing.

It's funny, Costco does a nitrogen fill when you buy tires from them. But they give it to you. And they will top off your tires any time for free. Ha.
Yeah, they sell it as a “lifetime” or life of the warranty type thing. Sorry if I made it seem like it was that much for the initial fill…

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I'm gone for a week on a Caribbean cruise. And this thread is still going. :CWL:

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, they sell it as a “lifetime” or life of the warranty type thing. Sorry if I made it seem like it was that much for the initial fill…
Yeah, each is as absurd as the other. Literally a nickel worth of nitrogen per fill.
Sponsored