Why won’t my electric sway bar disconnect

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
I put my Jeep in 4wd and hit sway bar button. Nothing happens just keeps flashing sway bar
Sponsored

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
I had the same issue when I first tried my sway bar disconnect. Forum members told me to creep forward a little. I did and it disconnected.

Levi.Butler

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Engineer
I put my Jeep in 4wd and hit sway bar button. Nothing happens just keeps flashing sway bar
This is normal behavior... if you're not on completely flat ground, it can get hung up and need a little bit of movement in order to engage/disengage. The flashing is the Jeep letting you know it's working on it.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
OP- You are in 4wd low range, right? The others are correct that it can take a little movement. Sometimes there is friction between the couplers from the uneven terrain.

Levi.Butler

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Engineer
OP- You are in 4wd low range, right? The others are correct that it can take a little movement. Sometimes there is friction between the couplers from the uneven terrain.
Oh yeah... this too. I've got a Tazer, so mine behaves a little differently. IIRC, you have to be in 4low on a stock vehicle.

Sponsored

OP
OP
LiftedrubiconJT

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
I’ve tried everything and it wont disconnect. It says either 4lo or 4hi when I hit button and not in 4wd. I put it in 4hi and tried moving to see if that helped.

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Are you off road or on road when trying? There are a couple of reasons it could be flashing at you. See attached page from owners manual.

0661C0D2-A486-40DA-831C-0672C0FCB088.jpeg

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
Either the dogs in the motor are bound up due to being torqued / not on level ground, or the motor itself has crapped out. Both are common. Try rocking the vehicle from side to side a little, that helps remove the binding on the dogs. If that doesn't work, and you are on level ground, then the motor is shot.

So many people have gutted the motors and installed a manual disconnect. It's not a matter of if, but when that motor goes out.

OP
OP
LiftedrubiconJT

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
Are you off road or on road when trying? There are a couple of reasons it could be flashing at you. See attached page from owners manual.

Jeep Gladiator Why won’t my electric sway bar disconnect 0661C0D2-A486-40DA-831C-0672C0FCB088
I was on road trying it

OP
OP
LiftedrubiconJT

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
Either the dogs in the motor are bound up due to being torqued / not on level ground, or the motor itself has crapped out. Both are common. Try rocking the vehicle from side to side a little, that helps remove the binding on the dogs. If that doesn't work, and you are on level ground, then the motor is shot.

So many people have gutted the motors and installed a manual disconnect. It's not a matter of if, but when that motor goes out.
I’ve tried rocking it back and forth and I was on level ground. It’s the first time I’ve tried it and I currently have 20,000 miles on it

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Try it in 4Lo.

I’ve tried everything and it wont disconnect. It says either 4lo or 4hi when I hit button and not in 4wd. I put it in 4hi and tried moving to see if that helped.

I’ve tried rocking it back and forth and I was on level ground. It’s the first time I’ve tried it and I currently have 20,000 miles on it

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...facturing-nolimits-manual-sway-bar-disconnect

They sure have a lot of nice options for when the OEM system craps out!

Whitarmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2014 JKR
If I’m not perfectly level, I’ve gotten out and shook the Jeep holding the roll cage. Works every time on the JK and JT. Just need to relieve the pressure on the locking rod.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I’m having a little trouble following along. Are you in 4-low? In theory, it shouldn’t matter, but I’m curious if you’ve tried it in low.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LiftedrubiconJT

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
I’m having a little trouble following along. Are you in 4-low? In theory, it shouldn’t matter, but I’m curious if you’ve tried it in low.
I have not tried in 4lo
Sponsored