First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Master Distiller
I cant say anything about this product but Wilco makes some very good products...My only key with something like this is you will have no back window to see out of. I would like to find something the bolts to the side of the bedrail so I can at least see out of the window.

This vid will at least show you the construction of the unit...Looks beefy enough

OP
OP
Barnaby’sdad

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
I cant say anything about this product but Wilco makes some very good products...My only key with something like this is you will have no back window to see out of. I would like to find something the bolts to the side of the bedrail so I can at least see out of the window.

This vid will at least show you the construction of the unit...Looks beefy enough

As far as the cab rail goes, I had the same thought when I initially saw this product. It looks like it can be installed on the driver or passenger side too. Not sure if that would even be doable with my Alu-Cab mounting points though.

I had the same thought regarding quality though…it looks solid and appears to be well thought out. I’ve been wondering the exact reason why it isn’t more popular, such as:

1. It requires the Mopar bed rails, which a lot of JT’s don’t have (mine didn’t come with it). That would add to the entry cost, which…in my opinion…is steep for what it is.

2. Cost

3. Obstruction of rearward visibility

4. Takes up space in the bed (as does any bed tire carrier)

I’m guessing that it’s a combination of those factors, in many cases. For me…I already have the Mopar bed rails (purchased for the Alu-Cab install) and my rearward visibility is already somewhat obstructed with the camper shell.

As there’s a good chance that I wouldn’t be happy with it for one reason or another, the only way I’d likely try one of these is if I could find one used. I.e. Looks like the kind that sold here went for ~$150.

21Moja

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Master Distiller
Good point, if your vision is already blocked then that isn't really problem...This would be something that I dont think I would use all the time, my day to day driving I dont think I would carry my spare but on trips I think this is a good option. I also like this as it puts all the weight square in the middle of the vehicle instead of most everything I see being so far back.

OP
OP
Barnaby’sdad

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Stuff
I always roll with a spare. The other thing is that I just ordered new wheels and opted to do a matching spare (I went back and forth on that). Kind of a stupid move, as: 1. I have no interest in doing a five wheel/tire rotation, and 2. The factory spare location.

I can’t say that I’ve heard of a rash of folks getting their spare stolen, but I’d rather not leave it under there where anyone can get to it.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
It's good and bad. It's a quality piece but not without issues.

Mostly it's that the mounting is 100% on a single line that is the bed rail. If you have larger tires, the mounting is offset from the rail mounts and the tire gets some leverage. Some Taco guys had this crack their bedsides (not exclusive to Wilco but others who did similar DIY type stuff) but that's probably the poly bed and thinner sides than the JT has. But that does mean the tire bounces a little.

What I did was mount it behind driver side on the front rail and run a cam strap through the tie down on that corner around the bottom of the wheel/tire. It keeps the tire pretty steady. Additionally, I hate how long the threaded rod sticks out and I hate how much mounting crap there is so I chopped down the rod, bought a tire balancing cone, and use a standard nut that leaves just a half inch of thread sticking out. All in all that means the protrusion from the wheel face is like 3-4 inches and just an inch or two past the face of the tire.

It's serving its purpose for now but my long-term plan is to fab a proper mount that connects to floor and rail. Just need to land on a final tire size before I commit.

OP
OP
Barnaby’sdad

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Stuff
@LostWoods …thank you for posting. What tire size are you running at the moment?

That’s something that I’ll keep in mind. I’m currently running 33’s and will likely go to 35’s whenever the stock tires wear down. I don’t foresee going bigger than 35”.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
@LostWoods …thank you for posting. What tire size are you running at the moment?

That’s something that I’ll keep in mind. I’m currently running 33’s and will likely go to 35’s whenever the stock tires wear down. I don’t foresee going bigger than 35”.
35" KO2 and it looks like 37" would fit easily as well. I noticed the bouncing the first time I had it out on trail and went with the cam strap for the next trip.

I doubt that would be a real issue but the protrusion was for me. If you don't modify it it'll stick out into the bed like 8" past the tire and when I'm giving up a foot of depth already for the tire that just wasn't gonna work.

USMC_1Wire6337

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport S/MT; 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4 HEMI
Occupation
IT
I always roll with a spare. The other thing is that I just ordered new wheels and opted to do a matching spare (I went back and forth on that). Kind of a stupid move, as: 1. I have no interest in doing a five wheel/tire rotation, and 2. The factory spare location.

I can’t say that I’ve heard of a rash of folks getting their spare stolen, but I’d rather not leave it under there where anyone can get to it.
I had my spare stolen off of my 2007 Ram 1500 less than a year after I bought it new. Since then, I have put cable locks on external spares as a piece of mind. Not sure it will do anything but slow down someone serious and maybe make some random thief go to the next house.

For the new Gladiator, I bought the Bolt Cable Lock and stuffed the lock part up inside the spare. I am hoping this helps as a deterrent.

OP
OP
Barnaby’sdad

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Stuff
I had my spare stolen off of my 2007 Ram 1500 less than a year after I bought it new. Since then, I have put cable locks on external spares as a piece of mind. Not sure it will do anything but slow down someone serious and maybe make someone random thief go to the next house.

For the new Gladiator, I bought the Bolt Cable Lock and stuffed the lock part up inside the spare. I am hoping this helps as a deterrent.
With the price of tires these days, I could see someone doing it. Jack the spare from four JTR or JTM and someone’s got: 1. $1,000+ worth of rubber to flip, or 2. A $1,000+ set of tires (installed on wheels of your choice), “for the price of on the house.”

Sponsored

OP
OP
Barnaby’sdad

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Stuff
The video above was right on. Not sure how you would install this with the rail installed. I had to remove my rail, install it, and then reinstall the rail.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Barnaby’sdad

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Stuff
I thought I’d post a follow-up review on this item as I opted to remove it today.

It’s well made, but if you use your bed frequently to haul stuff…sooner or later…you may get fed up up with it.

No real complaints though other than chewing up valuable real estate in the bed.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
The video above was right on. Not sure how you would install this with the rail installed. I had to remove my rail, install it, and then reinstall the rail.
Realize this is old but got pinged for your other post and figured I'd chime in if it's still packaged the same.... the package comes with a plastic orange sleeve to protect the threads on the rod. Slide it into the rail then slide the nuts in and the protector will keep enough pressure on the nut to get it threaded.

OP
OP
Barnaby’sdad

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Stuff
Realize this is old but got pinged for your other post and figured I'd chime in if it's still packaged the same.... the package comes with a plastic orange sleeve to protect the threads on the rod. Slide it into the rail then slide the nuts in and the protector will keep enough pressure on the nut to get it threaded.
Interesting. Will have to see if i can find a video of someone trying that out.