Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Between Badlands and Smittybilt, I would go with Smittybilt. I have the 10,000 lb, and it works just fine. I’m not sure why you would prefer a Harbor Freight (cheap tools) brand to an off road accessory company brand. I will say though that I would buy Warn if it was reasonably close money.
Both made in China and I have used a Badlands winch before and know others who used them as well. I had a Badlands 9000lb winch on my JKU that never failed me and got a buddy using the same 12000lb model on a car hauler for almost 8yrs that gets used about twice a week and is still going strong. I'm not comparing Smitty or saying it's better or worse, just saying the Badland winches are good winches. I used to sell bumpers and off road lights a few years back and learned a lot about the manufacturers and where stuff is made and a lot of the stuff you buy from SMITTYBILT is made on the same factory that Eautogrilles,poison spyder and other manufacturers get their stuff from. So I'm not knocking Smittybilts stuff, but I'm not paying $200 more dollars for pretty much the same winch. My guy said I'd be around $400 with his discount and 20% on the Apex
Badlands vs Smittybuilt = $ vs warranty. I got lucky and got the smitty 12k synthetic for $490 so I didn't have to choose. 90 day on Badlands, 5 years on Smitty.

Yes, there is anecdotal evidence regarding Badlands lasting a long time, I'm not arguing that. Is $90 worth peace of mind for 4.75 years? It was for me.

Same argument between 10k and 12k - 10k "should be fine." How much do you want to spend for piece of mind in case you get stuck someplace challenging. Also, are you going to just use the winch to recover your truck or want to be able to recover others that might be heavier?

I've got a bunch of Harbor Freight stuff too, so I'm not knocking the brand. However, once it does break you're on your own.
You can purchase a 3 yr no questions ask warranty from from harbor freight for $35 and if it breaks you just take it in and they give you another one, I've bought it on a few things, one being a pump to pump off my pool liner. I let someone borrow it and they ran it dry and burn it up, they gave me another one and didn't even question it. Also if you go in 90 days before that warranty expires they will let you renew it for the same price, so you can get 6yrs for $70
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Both made in China and I have used a Badlands winch before and know others who used them as well. I had a Badlands 9000lb winch on my JKU that never failed me and got a buddy using the same 12000lb model on a car hauler for almost 8yrs that gets used about twice a week and is still going strong. I'm not comparing Smitty or saying it's better or worse, just saying the Badland winches are good winches. I used to sell bumpers and off road lights a few years back and learned a lot about the manufacturers and where stuff is made and a lot of the stuff you buy from SMITTYBILT is made on the same factory that Eautogrilles,poison spyder and other manufacturers get their stuff from. So I'm not knocking Smittybilts stuff, but I'm not paying $200 more dollars for pretty much the same winch. My guy said I'd be around $400 with his discount and 20% on the Apex

You can purchase a 3 yr no questions ask warranty from from harbor freight for $35 and if it breaks you just take it in and they give you another one, I've bought it on a few things, one being a pump to pump off my pool liner. I let someone borrow it and they ran it dry and burn it up, they gave me another one and didn't even question it. Also if you go in 90 days before that warranty expires they will let you renew it for the same price, so you can get 6yrs for $70
EDIT to what I stated about the warranty it's now a 2yr renewable warranty, but either way not a bad deal and not knocking the Smittybilt one bit, but it's over $600 for it now and I'm able to get the Badlands for $400 including the warranty so that's at least 2yrs of piece of mind for me. Plus l like the way the Badlands looks compared to the Smitty, the line is less exposed and it looks more enclosed. I could be wrong, I'm just a fan of the Badland winches. Mine did so well on my JKU so I got no reason not to trust them.

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Well I went ahead and ordered the Badlands. Not sure how long it will take to get it. $400 was to good a deal to pass up. The manager I know at Harbor Freight said I should probably have it on 8-10 days, we will see. Have never ordered online from them so we will see how it goes.

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Badlands Apex 12000lb winch and rugged ridge spartan full width bumper. Installed the winch today. Pretty easy install and it looks good.
Jeep Gladiator Winch dilemma, need help deciding IMG_20200603_204211
Jeep Gladiator Winch dilemma, need help deciding IMG_20200603_205538

Robbie441

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Occupation
Union Electrician
Badlands Apex 12000lb winch and rugged ridge spartan full width bumper. Installed the winch today. Pretty easy install and it looks good.
How had the winch held up? I’m trying to buy one actually but I went into the store today and they wouldn’t honor my 20% off coupon. It’s on sale for $550 but id like to get that 20% off somehow. Have you put it to use yet?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
How had the winch held up? I’m trying to buy one actually but I went into the store today and they wouldn’t honor my 20% off coupon. It’s on sale for $550 but id like to get that 20% off somehow. Have you put it to use yet?
It's been great. I used it twice so far, once to pull a Semi out of mud at work and I pull a tree up out of the yard with it. Haven't had any reason to use it other than that but it still looks and functions like it should. I'm pleased with it. You can't beat it for the money

salsadoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator Rubicon
a few months ago, they honored the 20% off when it’s at its regular $600 price. you can check to see if the 20% works online before you go into the store. that worked for me before.

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Where do you get that 20% coupon? I’ve been looking at Smittybilt, but that might seal a deal for me. Thanks.
Sponsored