Winch alignment help

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Will I run in to any problems if my winch drum is not entirely lined up with the rope cutout of the winch plate?

This is my first winch install, and I am using the Mopar winch plate kit, with the smittybilt XRC gen 3. To say that it has been a battle would be an understatement. I’m finally coming to terms with the fact that I may have to drill out the winch plate after all.

6FBA038A-423D-4E01-A35A-A9078AEF1FB5.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Bump

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
It's not unusable but far from ideal. You really need to have the drum centered on the fairlead to prevent wrapping problems and be able to use the full cable capacity of the drum.
Winch plate isn't flipped around is it? Kinda surprised the alignment is so poor.

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
I’m surprised it’s so off, maybe the truck is crooked. But no, all joking aside something isn’t right.

MoparToYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Some winches have an offset drum, such as a Warn 9.5XP. Other winches have a centered drum, such as a Warn Zeon. You need to get a winch fairlead mount plate that matches your winch. It looks like you have them miss-matched. One is centered, and the other is offset.

Sponsored

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
Some winches have an offset drum, such as a Warn 9.5XP. Other winches have a centered drum, such as a Warn Zeon. You need to get a winch fairlead mount plate that matches your winch. It looks like you have them miss-matched. One is centered, and the other is offset.
i agree... it looks like the mopar plate is for an offset winch.

Mouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
No possibility of moving the winch over to the side at all?

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
Perhaps more pictures showing a wider angle from the top. Both that winch and plate are centered fairleads, so this should work. That is unless the winch is just too big and hitting something that keeps it from centering, but that’s hard to tell from this picture.

OP
OP

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
It's a smittybilt XRC gen 3 12.5k winch and the mopar plate. Both are "Centered drum", although the passenger side housing of the winch is about an inch longer. This picture makes it look worse, because the control box of the winch was preventing things from linine up.

I ultimately just took it to a friend's body/machine shop. They are going to have to heavily modify the plate and also trim the inner edge of the bumper. Also going to make a custom bracket for the control box of the winch.

Contrary to what Smittybilt and Mopar say, that winch is not compatible with that winch plate. I've had myself, the dealer, a couple mechanic buddies, and now am ultimately having to modify things.

aegiscpo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
A bit late to this thread, but on the MOPAR winch plate there are four sets of holes to mount the winch. One set is for offset drum and one set is for the centered drum. Could be that when you mounted it you used the offset holes vice the centered ones. Just a thought.
Sponsored