Windshield

treepin

First Name
Tequila
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep gladiator rubicon
Bought a new 21 Jeep gladiator rubicon at the end of October of 21. In may I had the defrost on and out of no where my gorilla glass broke from the middle bottom and split in 2 cracks across they said they couldn’t detect any rock or chip damage and couldn’t explain what could have happend.. they replaced it the first of June. Last Friday the exact thing happend again defrost was on sitting at the school and it split and cracked in the same exact spot but this time they don’t want to fix it. I guess don’t use your defrost or heat in your brand new vehicle that costs 60,000+ the dealership was also very rude and wouldn’t waste their time. Thanks Jeep wave promise

Jeep Gladiator Windshield A771038F-1C57-4E01-8C49-CDCDA5E7E410

A8A97DCF-B8E8-4574-89BD-D62B1A88A049.jpeg
Sponsored

Glad Newbie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500 Cummins, 2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Exact same crack happened to me on Sat. Haven't been to the dealer yet.

20230122_141133.jpg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
We keep getting brand new threads on the exact same thing......... this is what, #6?
Do both of you have the gorilla glass? Weird.
I wonder at what temperature that defrost is being run.... max?? Full heat set as high as it will go and fan on highest setting?

Thanks Jeep wave promise
Jeep wave promise what? What promise? Didn't know they promised anything related to glass.
Interesting enough, since I bought my first - the 2020, back in November 2019, and then the 22 in July 2022, I've been through 3 1/2 winters and have had defrost on probably 3 times. Just don't need it that much. When I have, it's not that cold - use it because of fogging or maybe some freezing rain. Otherwise not a lot of need. I also don't run heat very high in these.
I did have this happen with my 95 F250 back in 2003 or so sitting along the street in town, truck running, defrost on, snow/ice storm. We stopped to clear the walks in front of our store and came back to cracked windshield in the truck after a few minutes.

Sponsored

Glad Newbie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500 Cummins, 2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
No gorilla glass in mine, I just thought it was interesting that we cracked in basically the same location under similiar circumstances (defroster on).
No idea on temp, mine is always set to auto with cabin temp set to 68.

BlackBessy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black Jeep Gladiator High Altitude
Occupation
Director of Paid Marketing
Throw one more into the mix for whom has been victim of this occurring just this morning, thanks a lot defroster destroying my windshield. At what point does this become a recall?

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Plug half the defroster vents in the center. Threads on this. I think it's too powerful.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Plug half the defroster vents in the center. Threads on this. I think it's too powerful.
The heat and fan blast does seem to be concentrated in the center of the glass. Driving in freezing rain Saturday night with my wife's JLU, the glass got hot in the center while the ice on the edges was slow to melt. I found slowing down (road speed) and letting things catch up a bit with the outside air not cooling the glass as fast, the heat spread more, better, and the ice in the upper corners melted away.
Anyway, I've had and seen defrosters take out other windshields - happened on my F250 like I have said before, but the blocks in the center may not only help with that, but help force some of that air to come out the end vents of the defroster, spreading the heat out and clearing the ice in the upper corners faster.
Ours eventually cleared off but obviously the heat was concentrated in the center.
These are quite different from many systems that have two defroster vents, one right in front of each seat. I've had vehicles that cleared perfect for the driver and passenger but the center was slower to clear.
Haven't had real issues with my JT in that area but it really should be identical to the Wrangler.
On the other hand - the Wrangler heat is electric so it gets hot right now, really fast.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
We keep getting brand new threads on the exact same thing......... this is what, #6?

I wonder at what temperature that defrost is being run.... max?? Full heat set as high as it will go and fan on highest setting?

Jeep wave promise what? What promise? Didn't know they promised anything related to glass.
Interesting enough, since I bought my first - the 2020, back in November 2019, and then the 22 in July 2022, I've been through 3 1/2 winters and have had defrost on probably 3 times. Just don't need it that much. When I have, it's not that cold - use it because of fogging or maybe some freezing rain. Otherwise not a lot of need. I also don't run heat very high in these.
I did have this happen with my 95 F250 back in 2003 or so sitting along the street in town, truck running, defrost on, snow/ice storm. We stopped to clear the walks in front of our store and came back to cracked windshield in the truck after a few minutes.
The people that don’t have garages for their Jeeps many times use remote start when it’s cold as hell. The remote start, when climate is set to auto, automatically blasts the defrost to clear ice off the windshield. Full blast. If mine was in a nice toasty garage, I might never use the defrost either. Most of these occurrences are likely not manual defrost, but from remote start in the winter.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The heat and fan blast does seem to be concentrated in the center of the glass. Driving in freezing rain Saturday night with my wife's JLU, the glass got hot in the center while the ice on the edges was slow to melt. I found slowing down (road speed) and letting things catch up a bit with the outside air not cooling the glass as fast, the heat spread more, better, and the ice in the upper corners melted away.
Anyway, I've had and seen defrosters take out other windshields - happened on my F250 like I have said before, but the blocks in the center may not only help with that, but help force some of that air to come out the end vents of the defroster, spreading the heat out and clearing the ice in the upper corners faster.
Ours eventually cleared off but obviously the heat was concentrated in the center.
These are quite different from many systems that have two defroster vents, one right in front of each seat. I've had vehicles that cleared perfect for the driver and passenger but the center was slower to clear.
Haven't had real issues with my JT in that area but it really should be identical to the Wrangler.
On the other hand - the Wrangler heat is electric so it gets hot right now, really fast.
The 4xE doesn’t use electric heat. It uses the heater core like any other ice. That’s why when it’s cold out, a cold start forces tie engine to run in order for the heat to warm the cabin. It may have a secondary electric heater, I don’t know but doubt it, but the primary uses engine heat.

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
Sucks and weird, I want to follow this...

QuintusMaximus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL, 2022 JT
Sucks, sorry that happened.
Sponsored