First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm
So I’ve been dragging my feet when it comes to buying a lift because I’m being a cheap bastard, and history has taught me that I can *usually* wait it out and find a good deal on whatever I’m looking to buy. While doing my daily Craigslist troll yesterday, I come across a 2” Mopar lift (with 1200 miles on it), crate and all. Guy wants $1000 obo for the lift and 4 brand new Falken MT 33’s. He’s selling it for his uncle who doesn’t do “technology”. I offer $500 for the lift, and he agreed. BAM! Mission accomplished, or so I thought. I do a quick check of shock part numbers, the crate part number it came in, and ask why it’s being sold- answer was “my uncle said he upgraded the lift- these were put in by dealer and then removed”. Fair enough. Get it home, find a dealer sheet listing all the parts and part numbers, on this forum. Just wanted to be sure all was there. To my surprise (kinda), the shocks and crate were the only things that were actually lift kit parts. Everything else was stock parts. Fortunately I called the guy back and he was genuinely embarrassed. Gave me my $500 back and offered me a few beers for my trouble. I almost learned a $500 lesson because I was a cheap bastard and did not show up prepared with part numbers. Don’t be me, lol. All’s well that ends well.
Sponsored

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
So I’ve been dragging my feet when it comes to buying a lift because I’m being a cheap bastard, and history has taught me that I can *usually* wait it out and find a good deal on whatever I’m looking to buy. While doing my daily Craigslist troll yesterday, I come across a 2” Mopar lift (with 1200 miles on it), crate and all. Guy wants $1000 obo for the lift and 4 brand new Falken MT 33’s. He’s selling it for his uncle who doesn’t do “technology”. I offer $500 for the lift, and he agreed. BAM! Mission accomplished, or so I thought. I do a quick check of shock part numbers, the crate part number it came in, and ask why it’s being sold- answer was “my uncle said he upgraded the lift- these were put in by dealer and then removed”. Fair enough. Get it home, find a dealer sheet listing all the parts and part numbers, on this forum. Just wanted to be sure all was there. To my surprise (kinda), the shocks and crate were the only things that were actually lift kit parts. Everything else was stock parts. Fortunately I called the guy back and he was genuinely embarrassed. Gave me my $500 back and offered me a few beers for my trouble. I almost learned a $500 lesson because I was a cheap bastard and did not show up prepared with part numbers. Don’t be me, lol. All’s well that ends well.
Way to do your due diligence. And to have a good attitude about the seller.

OP
OP
cuellar13

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Way to do your due diligence. And to have a good attitude about the seller.
Yeah, this is the first time it’s happened in years of buying parts from private parties, where I only got half the product. Just figured my story may save someone else some heartache. Just glad I didn’t disassemble anything prior.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Private sales of "used" parts can be a hassle to say the least. Good for you for not eating it and good for him for making it right.

My local craigs list has been lit up with guys asking complete new in box prices for soft tops that have years and miles on them. I always put out a wtb for half doors and always get guys who want to trade me my factory full doors for their half doors then they send photos and its a cheapie tube door... sorry but no. Anything I offer I try to describe as completely as possible with a host of photos and still get the kickers. Had a 2d soft top nearly complete fall into my life, offered it for free and had people still offer me "extra" to hold it for what ever long. Dude its free, figure it out.

OP
OP
cuellar13

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Private sales of "used" parts can be a hassle to say the least. Good for you for not eating it and good for him for making it right.

My local craigs list has been lit up with guys asking complete new in box prices for soft tops that have years and miles on them. I always put out a wtb for half doors and always get guys who want to trade me my factory full doors for their half doors then they send photos and its a cheapie tube door... sorry but no. Anything I offer I try to describe as completely as possible with a host of photos and still get the kickers. Had a 2d soft top nearly complete fall into my life, offered it for free and had people still offer me "extra" to hold it for what ever long. Dude its free, figure it out.
Yeah, Craigslist is definitely a roll of the dice, and I try to be the same way with my postings- clear and concise. I hear that Facebook marketplace produces better results, but this is as close to social media as I get.

Sponsored

Samsons Wig

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I'm glad that you were able to set things straight with the seller. It usually doesn't go down that way.

Here's a Jeep newbie question, but where can I find the part numbers for the "Mopar Lift"?

OP
OP
cuellar13

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm glad that you were able to set things straight with the seller. It usually doesn't go down that way.

Here's a Jeep newbie question, but where can I find the part numbers for the "Mopar Lift"?
They are posted on this forum in at least one place. A quick thread search should pull it for you.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You cheap bastard! :CWL:

I am cheap, too. But last December my dealer had a special on Mopar lift + Installation for $2,000. Several dealers around here had a similar offer. It must have been a regional promotion. That was as good a bargain as I was likely to find, so I jumped on the opportunity.

I can't say enough good things about this Mopar lift. It netted me over 3 inches in lift. I had the Mopar lift on my previous JKs, and this lift is 10 times better. Last weekend I was doing 30 MPH on rutted logging roads, in total comfort! I was never able to do that with the previous Mopar lift.

If I were you, I'd look for a good offer by a local dealer and splurge. This Mopar lift is well worth the money!

Jeep Gladiator Word to the wise when buying parts from private parties 1624381384307

Jeep Gladiator Word to the wise when buying parts from private parties 1624380957949

Jeep Gladiator Word to the wise when buying parts from private parties 1624380916234

Two grand poorer and still smiling
Jeep Gladiator Word to the wise when buying parts from private parties 1624380815776
Sponsored

Last edited: