First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Working
I see so many gladiators around me. I see at least 1-2 new ones on my way to work every week with temp tags. People are buying them, but the question I have is when will sales level off. I have to imagine first year sales are slower because people are skeptical about the first year of a new vehicle. Then those who want the latest and greatest get in on it through about year 3-4. And then what. That’s what I’m curious about. The wrangler is well established. They know the sales on it and can pretty reasonably project how many they’ll sell. Right now they outsell the JT by quite a bit so the decision to prioritize makes sense.
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
People are buying them, but the question I have is when will sales level off.
Not absolute but most new models tend to taper off on sales around the third model year mark. That is generally when full saturation takes place of those who are actively looking to get into that model have already done so for the most part. Then it becomes subsequent replacment/trade-in sales and those aging financially into being able to buy one. There is always the newness factor rush in the beginning.

Barring chip shortage restraints, 2022 will be a peak year for Gladiator sales in my opinion and then level off and probably be a 1/2 to 2/3 of peak sales for the remainder of the current generation run.

badger719

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Ram killing off the potential Dakota revival certainly points to Stellantis keeping the Gladiator in the product portfolio for years to come.

Besides I would imagine R&D costs have largely been recouped at this point.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Ram killing off the potential Dakota revival certainly points to Stellantis keeping the Gladiator in the product portfolio for years to come.

Besides I would imagine R&D costs have largely been recouped at this point.
Everything I read said that early report about the dakota being axe'd is wrong. Its just delayed to 2023/2024 which makes sense given the chip shortages.

A man can dream that the dakota will be an IFS platform for some kind of desert runner JT in the future. The SFA is cool and all, but for my uses i'd take an IFS with long travel like the bronco.

SarGeek

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mohave & 1986 CJ-7
Occupation
IT
I see tons of Gladiators here. It's enough truck to hunt with (Try getting an elk in the back of a Wrangler...) but small enough to be a reasonable daily.

Also excels in the camping/fishing space with the gear hauling capacity.

That said, I see tons *more* Wranglers. If I was making the call for Jeep I'd have to go the same way.

Sponsored

Butze87

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Pepsi
Guess for me I went from full size truck to a wrangler and I loved it, but had my back seats folded down 99% of the time and plenty of times had to open back window to fit stuff in the back.. now I got a Jeep with a bed and I love it, awesome to me… lost a little bit of tow power but does what I want and I can still take the top off
I love having a Jeep and always need a truck. Now with my gladiator I can have both. I still regret trading in my 06 TJ a few years ago, and the JT doesn’t quite fill that void, but until I get another 2 door Wrangler the Gladiator gives me that open air freedom and utility of a truck. For Jeep lovers the Gladiator is a blessing not a replacement. I will be using mine as a daily driver and utility vehicle that goes on some trails whereas my next wrangler build will be for almost entirely off-roading but still road legal.

rayvonp

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Gladiator, 2018 Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Boeing
I think they are selling great in certain areas like where I live we are a little ways out from the bigger city’s, but in in my neighborhood alone there is 5 and a few more around town

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Not absolute but most new models tend to taper off on sales around the third model year mark. That is generally when full saturation takes place of those who are actively looking to get into that model have already done so for the most part. Then it becomes subsequent replacment/trade-in sales and those aging financially into being able to buy one. There is always the newness factor rush in the beginning.

Barring chip shortage restraints, 2022 will be a peak year for Gladiator sales in my opinion and then level off and probably be a 1/2 to 2/3 of peak sales for the remainder of the current generation run.
How can anyone even try to apply "normal" or "usual" to anything in the last couple of years?
Signs all over the place- help wanted. From fast food to major corporations. Yet 13 mil on unemployment. That's not normal. The prices of used vehicles approaching - even meeting - the prices of new - that's not normal. Buying patterns are all skewed. People aren't commuting now - they work from home. People are fixing up the house and yard. It's crazy to try to rationalize anything that's happening with cars other than say - when the dust settles, welcome to the NEW normal, whatever that is.
The newer generation of drivers will also have a say in what sells or doesn't. Government mandates (I've read what the EPA is planning and it scares the heck out of me - welcome to crazy town - good luck with those proposed mandates!)
So whatever the pattern has been in the last few years, forget it. Start over.
Like Lee Iacocca used to be so fond of saying - "the rules have changed".
Jeep is dropping the 2 door Wrangler in Europe because of the new EV demands (and mandates) - I figure that may impact something in some little way?

And then I come to this conclusion - why is anyone even worried or thinking about it? It's going to happen, whatever that "it" is - whether we like it or not.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Gossamer

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Customer Service
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think the Gladiator sells that well. When I was shopping the local Jeep dealers have tons of Gladiators and only 1 or 2 oddball Wranglers.
I suspect that may be different in different areas

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
How can anyone even try to apply "normal" or "usual" to anything in the last couple of years?
Signs all over the place- help wanted. From fast food to major corporations. Yet 13 mil on unemployment. That's not normal. The prices of used vehicles approaching - even meeting - the prices of new - that's not normal. Buying patterns are all skewed. People aren't commuting now - they work from home. People are fixing up the house and yard. It's crazy to try to rationalize anything that's happening with cars other than say - when the dust settles, welcome to the NEW normal, whatever that is.
The newer generation of drivers will also have a say in what sells or doesn't. Government mandates (I've read what the EPA is planning and it scares the heck out of me - welcome to crazy town - good luck with those proposed mandates!)
So whatever the pattern has been in the last few years, forget it. Start over.
Like Lee Iacocca used to be so fond of saying - "the rules have changed".
Jeep is dropping the 2 door Wrangler in Europe because of the new EV demands (and mandates) - I figure that may impact something in some little way?

And then I come to this conclusion - why is anyone even worried or thinking about it? It's going to happen, whatever that "it" is - whether we like it or not.
Gladiator is high market. Those with means to afford it tend to not be the stay at home living off of enhanced unemployment benefits and have stayed in the economy regardless.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I suspect that may be different in different areas
It is different in different areas. Although I don't see many on the road around here (that's changing) Dewey in Ankeny had a row of them a few months ago - those are all gone, every one of them, and replaced with new stock - some of them snazzberry, so that may be a big seller for them.
A person has to actually walk the lot and compare because seeing a lot of xx on the lot and then seeing a lot of xx on the lot a month later doesn't mean they didn't sell any - could mean they sold 'em all and got more in. When I wander the lot at the local dealer I have do warranty work, it's always different ones sitting there. So number don't mean they are selling or not selling. Could be they are turning over stock, and could be if the lot is empty, they aren't able to get any in quickly enough.
Going by what's on the lot is speculating unless one asks or looks at the specific vehicles.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Gladiator is high market. Those with means to afford it tend to not be the stay at home living off of enhanced unemployment benefits and have stayed in the economy regardless.
These days, those staying at home may actually be working for a living. My son is a good example, as is his wife (business owner, a lot of remote work). He works for a company that is a partner of Florida Blue - has for quite a while - he met his boss once for a short time a year ago. Most of his co-workers he's never seen. He's making better money than I did before I retired.

He's too bloody frugal to ever buy a JT - in fact, he's only got 33,000 on his Compass in 3 years, he says there's no reason for them to have a second vehicle.

Willpower1

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2021 Challenger Hellcat Widebody
Occupation
Physical Therapist
The Gladiator ain’t going anywhere anytime soon. Watch and see.

Willpower1

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2021 Challenger Hellcat Widebody
Occupation
Physical Therapist
The Gladiator as a Halo vehicle? No way imo. It’s a cool, midsize truck with unique features in the segment. That’s it. If you want to look at a halo vehicle within the Wrangler/Gladiator species, it would be the 392 Rubicon. If they make a 392 Gladiator, that would fit the bill too. People come in to check out the 392 and leave with a Sport or Sport S. Halo vehicles drive showroom traffic, but they don’t sell to the masses. I doubt there’s ever been a 120k unit per year halo model of any car line. With the numbers it’s starting to sell at, ain’t much of a niche vehicle either. The Subaru BRZ is a good example of a niche vehicle. They sell 2 to 4 thousand units A YEAR. Those are niche numbers.
Sponsored