Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
STATS
-2020 JTMT
-Iron Rock 2in steel spacers all around.
-285/75/17 AT tires (10ply sidewall)
-4.10 gears (looking at regear to 4.56)

-2021 Forest River 18TO Black Label Wolf Pup
-Tongue weight 470lbs dry
-Trailer weight 4,600lbs dry
-Total weight loaded is 6,500 fully loaded (haven't had it here yet)

I am new to all of this and I'm thinking I have the wrong type of WDH for my truck and trailer.

I currently have a reese WDH I got from a friend. I have to tighten the chains to the minimum allowable 5 links just to get the truck to sit mostly level with a tongue weight of 470lbs...This just seems strange to me. The EDH is stored in the trailer on a local airbase so I haven't gotten to it to check for part number or anything.

I measured the front and rear once I installed the hitch and sit about 1/2in lower in the rear than the front with the trailer on. that was the best of all of the positions I tried as I tested and adjusted the WDG setup. I know that's not bad..but the WDH just doesn't look right to me.

I got a Fastway E2 hitch today off craigslist that I am interested in trying. It's rated for 1,000 of tongue weight.

My question is....is it a thing to have a WDH that is not appropriate for your trailer weight? I've seen WDH rated for up to 800lbs of tongue, which is closer to my total tongue once the trailer is loaded. I'm thinking that would be more...appropriate...than one rated for 1,000lbs or more. But I don't know enough and cant seem to just google a dang answer.

261CCCC4-697C-4F86-ADB7-BC4444ADFFF7.jpeg

A1C8396C-8957-4085-9005-C9A7ED8BEF9A.jpeg
Sponsored

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Did you measure the trailer and truck hitch heights before setting it up, you are supposed to get the height of trailer, then adjust the jeep hitch up or down to be the same height, if you want to add some load in bed before setting it up not a bad idea. hook it up using jack to take the weight and put chains in at the spot that gets you back to normal. Do you know what the WDH bars are rated for? I've decided on a Blue Ox sway pro 750lb. rated system, and came across a real nice one on facebook for a real good price, but rated for 1500 lbs., I checked with blue ox and was told, get the bars that are as close to your actual weight without going under , the blue ox system needs weight and bend on bars to have it work properly, and I should not use the 1500lb. bars The hitch doesn't look that bad to me unless you are using too light a bar, which I think that is what you are asking......Jack

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '24 Model X Plaid
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
The people at Etrailer told me to get the smallest one that meets the requirements. I have an e2 rated for 400 lbs but may need to upgrade at some point. I am considering an Anderson as a replacement. We like the E2 but the Anderson will fit our camper better for one that handles a higher tongue weight.
Sponsored