First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Financial Services
From my previous Jeep I learned that the plastic door handles, dash board and all other plastics on the Jeep tend to fade quickly. What do you find is best in protecting these parts, 303, armor all?
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
From my previous Jeep I learned that the plastic door handles, dash board and all other plastics on the Jeep tend to fade quickly. What do you find is best in protecting these parts, 303, armor all?
I use products like back to black for my show stuff, I recently tried some on my truck and found it made the rear bumper look like new.
I was just messing around and hey, this works on newer stuff, too.

MAYBE Armorall has never formulas for this exact purpose, and I like the stuff for some things, but on the roof band trim on my 77 AMX I found that once I applied it, I had to keep at it or it would look worse than if I had never applied it.
I see the Armorall company does have new products aimed at just this thing, but I'd not put their base/original product on black exterior parts.

Find something that specifically addresses UV protection.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
303. Been using it since it was suggested on here. I have the wipes on auto delivery every few months.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
303 is good, but I now use Chemical Guys VRP, and I use it on interior, exterior, tires, and all rubber and plastic of all colors. I suspect that in the end, they are all pretty much the same thing anyway. I stay away from the original Armor All, because that always seems to dry out and crack things, rather than nourish.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I stay away from the original Armor All, because that always seems to dry out and crack things, rather than nourish.
Interesting about your experience - I've never had negatives with it on interior parts. My vinyl dash pads and seats and door panels are fine. And I'd be concerned if I did ever have issues as the door panels in my cars are - well, I dare you to find any or even a shop that would touch restoring them. They are one and done panels.

I've used Mothers "Back to Black" on stuff and it works quite well and that which I put on my rear JT bumper while just messing around "let's see what it does" sort of thing - that bumper looked good for a long time after that.

For exterior trim, there's oxidation of the plastic/vinyl, it needs protection from UV, ozone, etc. so I'd look for a product that specifically mentions such protection.

(BTW - must be doing something right on my little car - got another first place in a national all AMC event last month and that's after almost 10 years since I painted it and put it back together, restoring the trim, etc.)

Sponsored

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Chemical guys G6…. I buy by the gallon. Works great on plastic and rubber interior and exterior. Leaves if fresh and not greasy looking. Durable through rain for a few weeks…. No resedue and relatively cheap for what you get.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
(BTW - must be doing something right on my little car - got another first place in a national all AMC event last month and that's after almost 10 years since I painted it and put it back together, restoring the trim, etc.)
Yeah but there’s what like 10 AMC cars left out there? Lol just kidding bud, it’s closer to 25. All jokes aside, Chemical Guys VRP and Meguiar’s back to black are the two most used chemicals in my inventory. You might be surprised at the results, but a propane torch will remove oxidation and renew your finish in no time at all.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Naw, you're just counting mine.

Jeep Gladiator Protective coatings for plastic parts? 1665609646735

briscoelab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTRD, 2021 JLUR, 2020 Gladiator LE
I’m a fan of 303. Super useful on the inside and out, you can find it everywhere, it’s inexpensive.

It even works well on your tires and doesn’t turn brown/sling like some products.

Sponsored

Advntrbound

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
303 has been used forever on airplane dashes and interior trim. It doesn't seem to off gas like armorall. If it is good enough for $35k-several million dollar planes, it's good enough for my jeep.

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
The cerakote wipes last a long time. I put 303 on my vinyl tonneau and it looks dull again in a matter of weeks, but I can’t really use the cerakote wipes there. The cerakote goes on every outside plastic and I redo it once a year.

This is a picture of a spot down deep on the cowl that I missed applying, and shows a clear comparison of bare plastic to cerakote and how faded it would be without it.. after a year!
1661998139495-jpeg.jpg

Mojave Nunzio

First Name
Nunzio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Quality Control Manager