Sponsored

1100 miles and chipped windshield already

Kirk*Mojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Jeep Mojave/toyota camry
What's a new windshield cost these days?
Sponsored

Steven_B

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aroundthenw.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 WK2, 2001 XJ, 1993 YJ, 2021 JT EcoDiesel
Occupation
Digital Marketing Manager
Ha! A chip in the windshield was my first mod at about 430 miles.

sbach66

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Culinary Operations Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Just under 2 years old, about 53,000 miles, just had windshield #5 (including the original) installed.

Jeep life@

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
Get the insurance, I’ve got 90,000 miles on my JT and I’m on my 4th windshield.

Caspien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 GC Trailhawk
Occupation
I.T. Architect
On my 3rd replacement windshield since I bought it. The first one was a small-ish rock that happened in the AM, and it sleeted in the PM... that crack popped up quick. That was last.. Dec, I believe.. so I went from April to Dec without any issue.

The 2nd one was a rock the size of a baseball that flew out of the back of a local dumptruck... flew out of the back of the truck in the far right lane, white-outed the car in the middle lane it hit the windshield so hard, and then flew and hit mine, where it wedged itself into the windshield. That was in March of this year.

The 3rd one, literally happened within a few feet of where the second one did. Guy in a beat up truck with what I call a 'stupid lift' (probably 14-16" high, wish I was exaggerating) and dualies that clearly were not designed for a lift of that size... (think, looks like a roller skate), came tearing onto the interstate, and didn't even wait for his lane to end before changing into the primary lane... throwing rocks everywhere, which proceeded to cause damage to 5 vehicles, mine included. State police showed up, to help everyone, and I gave them the footage from my dash, which included the out of state plate. No idea what happened to him. 6 separate hits in my glass, according to the repair shop. That was back in May.

... and then, in late June.. I had my insurance threaten to cancel me for all of the comprehensive claims. Even though I had proof none of them were my fault. *sigh*

~ Casp

Sponsored

OP
OP
JW Jeep

JW Jeep

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Well I bought some RainX windshield repair and it looks a little better. Hope it stays put for now. Does sound like problems with these windshields and not only me. The sad thing is I go out of my way not to get damage and it happens any way even with nobody close to me ? Thank you guys with all the reply’s ……

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Your tires can carry rocks in the tread and you can actually hit your windshield fr9m a rock thrown by your jeep.
Yup - tosses the rock forward and you drive into it. Happened to me, luckily it hit the hood first and put a chip/dent in the hood then just brushed the windshield and landed next to the base of the left wiper arm.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
What's a new windshield cost these days?
That depends................. OEM MOPAR, OEM MOPAR Gorilla Glass, after-market replacement windshield, after-market replacement Gorilla Glass windshield..
There are about 4 choices, and the final cost will vary - also likely vary with who you go through.
And if you have insurance - that matters. Some states require insurance to cover windshields with no deductible.
So - pick which windshield and go from there.

OP
OP
JW Jeep

JW Jeep

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Yup - tosses the rock forward and you drive into it. Happened to me, luckily it hit the hood first and put a chip/dent in the hood then just brushed the windshield and landed next to the base of the left wiper arm.
We’ll that would explain how the rock came out of no wear. It hit hard at only 35 mph, but I have noticed I can even hear bugs when they hit sometimes on the interstate with this vertical windshield. I have stock overland all season tires on her but they do pick up a lot rocks. Hell I pick them out sometimes. Tell me that’s not OCD .

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

Sponsored

eeTwidget

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
I was fwd deployed when my Gladiator got delivered. I encouraged my wife to drive it so it didn’t just sit there. I came back to a cracked window with less than 300 miles on it. All good, the wife felt bad but I told her it’s to be expected.

sbach66

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Culinary Operations Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Just under 2 years old, about 53,000 miles, just had windshield #5 (including the original) installed.

Jeep life@
And two days after I posted this, took another rock. Windshield #6 coming up.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I'm probably once again jinxing myself, but we've had jeeps for 10 years (minus 2 years in the middle somewhere), and never a broken windshield....

I'll be back later when I inevitably have to eat my words.:LOL:

QuintusMaximus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL, 2022 JT
I'm probably once again jinxing myself, but we've had jeeps for 10 years (minus 2 years in the middle somewhere), and never a broken windshield....

I'll be back later when I inevitably have to eat my words.:LOL:
Well I hope you didn't jinx yourself. 10 years is an amazing stretch. Maybe you live somewhere without much traffic?

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mikeđź–¤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Well I hope you didn't jinx yourself. 10 years is an amazing stretch. Maybe you live somewhere without much traffic?
Jinxing is a hoax! haha. But i'm in the same situation. Longer than 10-11 years no chips or cracks, plenty of driving.

I think it has a lot to do with driving habits, styles, where you're driving, the laws on mud-flaps and tires past the fenders and all of that. Too many variables really
Sponsored