Sponsored

New tools for CAN bus hackers: IO By Identifier, Read by Identifier Python Scripts

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Systems Engineering
Hi!

I wanted to let our Gladiator brothers and sisters know that we now have Python scripts that allow you to access various features of your ECUs by way of calls to Unified Diagnostic Services:

Read Data by Identifier - Pull all sorts of data from any of your ECUs. You'll need to know which ECU and what data you're looking for, of course (and that's often the hard thing). For example, you can read your VIN with "rid bcm f190".
I/O by Identifier - You know how you're Jeep can turn things off an on? Well, you can probably control those same things, too, if you know which one. This allows you to tell your ECUs to turn things off and on. For example, "ioid -e bcm D0AD 0301" blares your horn, and "ioid -e bcm D0AD 0300" makes the madness stop. We have a list of some of the more popular items available on the BCM.

If you hadn't thought to check out this sister's forum, and hardware/software hacking is your kind of thing, you might want to give us a visit. We're glad to work with Gladiator owners just as we are Wranglers.

Happy hacking!
Sponsored

OP
OP

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Systems Engineering

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 2500 2019 Jeep Cherokee
I can probably help get you some info you might be able to use.
I did scan through your message ID’s spreadsheet, and I can tell you what some of your unknowns are for the BCM configurations.
3E8 is Vehicle Configuration 1. If you take your wrangler #1 example ($5531A253B40E51B8), this is what it’s VehConfig 1 settings are all set to:
Jeep Gladiator New tools for CAN bus hackers: IO By Identifier, Read by Identifier Python Scripts 0B633231-A747-458B-91B0-F38BD1D6BFFD

Jeep Gladiator New tools for CAN bus hackers: IO By Identifier, Read by Identifier Python Scripts 36C1B020-9E9F-471C-9C2F-FD5A165E02A2

Jeep Gladiator New tools for CAN bus hackers: IO By Identifier, Read by Identifier Python Scripts 67F15462-03A3-41E8-859A-AD82B9D75BF8

2C5 is Radio & Connectivity
381 is VehConfig 7
38A is VehConfig 8
3B3- CustSetMenu 1
3B4- CustSetMenu 2
3C2- CustSetMenu 3 (the customer settings menus are what put the vehicle settings in the radio)
3E3- Cabin Net (this is the list of all the modules on the IHS bus, and which ones are installed and enabled on the vehicle)
3E4- P/T Chassis Net (this is the list of all the modules on the C bus, and which ones are installed and enabled on the vehicle)
3E8- VehConfig 1
3E9- VehConfig 2
3EA- VehConfig 3
3EB- VehConfig 4
3F2- ECUConfig 3
44A- VehConfig 5
44C- VehConfig 6

OP
OP

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Systems Engineering
I did scan through your message ID’s spreadsheet, and I can tell you what some of your unknowns are for the BCM configurations.
Ah, HA! I understand completely. What an incredible observation!

I'll integrate those into the spreadsheet, and thank you so very much!

EDIT:

For others who may be reading this, what Jimmy is referring to is the spreadsheet in this post on the JL forum. It was where we (as a combined efforted) reverse engineered and documented as many of the vehicle's messages on the CAN busses that we could.

There are thousands of messages flying across the bus every second, and we've gone a good ways to say what many of these are, which is key to taking advantage of them with homebrew software connected to our own vehicles.

Every contribution helps!

OP
OP

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Systems Engineering
3B3- CustSetMenu 1
3B4- CustSetMenu 2
3C2- CustSetMenu 3
FYI, I am currently trying to associate these with their "Read Data by Identifier" locations in the BCM. In the above three examples, aside from the regular CAN broadcasts, CSM 1 is available from the BCM at $0146, CSM2 at $0147, and CSM3 at $014E.

I'm spending a bit more time because I want to do a nice job of identifying what/where these exactly are. That, and I have some spreadsheet damage I have to figure out now that I'm using LibreOffice instead of Excel!

Sponsored

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FYI, I am currently trying to associate these with their "Read Data by Identifier" locations in the BCM. In the above three examples, aside from the regular CAN broadcasts, CSM 1 is available from the BCM at $0146, CSM2 at $0147, and CSM3 at $014E.

I'm spending a bit more time because I want to do a nice job of identifying what/where these exactly are. That, and I have some spreadsheet damage I have to figure out now that I'm using LibreOffice instead of Excel!
Here’s the full list for the BCM configuration:
Jeep Gladiator New tools for CAN bus hackers: IO By Identifier, Read by Identifier Python Scripts B0E5733F-07E1-419C-902B-1FECEFA64FE8

OP
OP

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Systems Engineering
Here’s the full list for the BCM configuration:
( ... )
NICE! That tool that you're using... it wouldn't happen to be almost affordable for an individual consumer, would it?

[Looking into wallet, looking back towards you, looking into wallet yet again...]

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NICE! That tool that you're using... it wouldn't happen to be almost affordable for an individual consumer, would it?

[Looking into wallet, looking back towards you, looking into wallet yet again...]
That’s a cracked version of CDA6 (chrysler diagnostic application). There’s various ways to go about getting it. Send me a PM and I’ll get you more info on that.
Sponsored