dayusmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Mojave & 2022 JLU High-Tide
Occupation
Retired Marine; Divorce Attorney
Updated Last on 03/05/2024
I wanted to make a dedicated thread on CAN Bus Immobilizers so the information is available and easy to find if someone is looking for it. Too many threads with valuable information get watered down with either misinformation or people derailing the thread with irrelevant opinions or chit chat about non original post crap. Please do not go off topic in this thread, there is a General Forum area for that and other forum areas to talk about your trips to MOAB, etc…
CAN BUS Immobilizers stop vehicle theft by disabling the vehicle at the computer. Even if someone gets your Jeep key FOB they cannot take your vehicle without first punching in your button PIN code combination. The button PIN code combination is a button combination that is set by the user utilizing the factory buttons in the vehicle, eg. Steering wheel buttons, Window buttons, ect… The factory remote start will still work with the AMPIRE WFS400-PRO, IGLA & Ghost II, aftermarket remote start will not. Both factory and aftermarket remote start will work with the Tazer Mini. Yes your vehicle can still be towed away, Yes a toggle switch wired in MAY stop your car from being stolen, but not from and experienced car thief familiar with Jeeps unless it kills the fuel, but then your remote start will not work. Yes a tire boot works. Yes a Club works. Yes etc… This thread is about CAN Bus Immobilizers not the alternatives. Please save them for a different thread.
CAN Bus Immobilizers are mostly sold and installed in Europe, where car theft is out of control. Examples of CAN Bus Immobilizers are, AMPIRE WFS400-PRO, IGLA, Ghost II & Tazer Mini (More on Tazer Mini later). From my research the Ghost II is made by AMPIRE, not sure about the IGLA. Unfortunately there are VERY few places that sell or install these in the United States. On the East Coast, I believe in PA you can get the IGLA installed for about $1200 (Ouch). I haven’t seen a Ghost II dealer.
CAN Bus Immobilizers are ONLY effective if they are hidden well, if a thief finds it, all they have to do is cut it out. Effectiveness is only as good as the install. I also suggest using Tesa Black Fuzzy Fleece Interior Wire Loom Harness Tape on the install so that it looks like factory wiring.
Below I provide information on the two CAN Bus Immobilizers that I put in myself. The information is not speculative, it is from me actually installing them.

AMPIRE WFS400-PRO:
https://www.ampire.de/WFS400-PRO.htm?shop=ampire_en&SessionId=&a=article&ProdNr=WFS400-PRO&p=59260

AMPIRE Bluetooth FOB(for the WFS400-PRO):
https://www.ampire.de/WFST400.htm?shop=ampire_en&SessionId=&a=article&ProdNr=WFST400&p=20228

This is a great product. It cost me about $350 for the WFS400-Pro with the AMPIRE Bluetooth-Transponder for CAN-Bus immobilizer FOBS, and shipping. It literally came overnight from Germany! I installed this in my friends Gladiator. His wife occasionally drives his jeep and doesn’t have patience to remember or put in a button combination PIN. So when she drives his Jeep, he hands her the AMPIRE FOB and the Jeep FOB, she gets in and drives away, no PIN coded needed. This product also comes with a Free App so you can put it in Valet mode in case you have to bring your car to the dealer or though the car wash.
On a Jeep this is only a 4 wire hook up, Power, Ground & two CAN Bus C wires. They will program it for a Jeep and send it to you Overnight, the instructions have pictures on where to hook up the wires. A word of advice, do not install the unit exactly where they show to, trace those wires back some cut into the harness there. I also recommend extending the wires on the AMPIRE with some 20ga wire and hiding the unit in a different location, like underneath the center console or behind a rear interior panel. If you buy the AMPIRE FOBS I recommend you keep them in a faraday box when you are not driving the vehicle so they cannot be cloned.
The AMPIRE also prevents adding keys (fobs) while armed.

Tazer Mini Relocation Harness:
Parts Needed-
20g or 18ga Red and Black Primary Cable
Tesa Black Fuzzy Fleece Interior Wire Loom Harness Tape
Tazer Double Bypass Harness:
https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_dbp/
SGW Extension:
https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_sgw_ext/
or
(I used this one)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C727CWKS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Let me start off by saying thank you to @Jimmy07 for providing me with the pinout pictures for this project. He is truly the Jeep wire genius!
I made the first one of these Tazer Mini Relocation harnesses for my 2020 Gladiator Sport (unfortunately I totaled that truck), I made the second one for my 2020 Gladiator Mojave and the third one for my Wife’s JLU. The first one was made in October 2023, and there was a thread I started with some of this information, but this is a dedicated thread for it.
The Tazer Mini/Tazer has a CAN Bus immobilizer built into it. It is a little different from the other ones. Currently (Z Automative say there will be firmware updates that will give more options) it will lock the brakes using the antilock motor if the button PIN is not entered after the vehicle is started and you try and put it in gear - I am unsure how it works on a manual transmission. The IGLA, Ghost II & Ampire prevent the Jeep from starting. With using the Tazer Mini/Tazer as you CAN Bus Immobilizer you also get the added benefit of the other Live Features it comes with, like horn honk alarm when opening the hood, In Motion Nav Input, etc…
The Downfall to the Tazer Mini/Tazer is that it is always installed in the same place, at the SGW plug by the SGW module or the OBD port. The FIX for this is to hide the Tazer Mini/Tazer somewhere that a thief would not think to look in the limited time they a lot to try and steal you vehicle. There are multiple places you can grab the wires and/or Star bus connectors on a Jeep Gladiator or Jeep JLU to achieve this. On a Gladiator there are Start Bus connector behind the glove box and also in the back behind the rear panel and possibly a few other places [Hint rearrange the plugs in the Star bus connector so that it is harder to tell if there is extra connectors in it].
Yes I am aware of the Tazer Mini lockbox that someone made and sells, that Will Not stop an experienced thief that is coming to steal a Jeep because they know to just cut the CAN Bus wires coming out of the Tazer Mini Lock box and the Tazer has now been neutralized and you can steal the Jeep.
I have included pictures of the pinouts for the SGW plugs if you are making a harness like mine. On my harness I pulled out all the wires from the SGW extension cable and rearranged them to use the colors I wanted. If you buy the Z-Automotive SGW extension harness just make sure you hook the wires for the power and ground & CAN Bus to the right pins on the harness. Building this harness is not terribly hard at all. Find a good 12+ and ground and wire it up, hide it and you are good to go.
NOTE 1: You can buy a regular Tazer and the Double Bypass harness, it would be cheaper (about $300 for both pieces), work just the same and you will not have to build a harness. You will not need a SGW bypass doing this because you are “downsteam” in the wires from the SGW (This applies to both the Tazer Mini and Tazer). I still would cut the wiring loom that Z Automotive puts on it off and tape it up with the Tesa tape, cut the power and ground terminals off and hardwire them. Remember to reflash the Tazer with the JL firmware.
Note 2: You can hardwire the CAN Bus wires directly into other CAN Bus wires, if you are confident in your wiring skills. This would save you $50 because you wouldn’t need the Z- Automotive Double Bypass Harness.
I have this installed in my Jeep for months now with no problems. There are a bunch of YT videos showing how the Tazer PIN lock feature works on Jeeps.
Someone on this forum that knows where to buy the parts to build these harness should make and sell them on here. I would have gladly paid $125 for a premade harness!! If someone decides to make and sell them, give me a DM and I will give you some insight on the length the wire need to be.
Again please keep this thread on topic.

Jeep Gladiator Protect You Jeep From Being Stolen - CAN Bus Immobilizers Information Thread Tazer Harness 1

Jeep Gladiator Protect You Jeep From Being Stolen - CAN Bus Immobilizers Information Thread Tazer Harness 2

Jeep Gladiator Protect You Jeep From Being Stolen - CAN Bus Immobilizers Information Thread 8 Pin SWG

Jeep Gladiator Protect You Jeep From Being Stolen - CAN Bus Immobilizers Information Thread 12 pin SWG

Jeep Gladiator Protect You Jeep From Being Stolen - CAN Bus Immobilizers Information Thread Can Bus C

Jeep Gladiator Protect You Jeep From Being Stolen - CAN Bus Immobilizers Information Thread Can Bus IHS
Sponsored

Last edited:

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
I've reached out to Auto Watch Canada a couple of times. He said they don't normally allow non dealers to do the install. Said he would help me do it on a video call. That was weeks ago. This would be for the Ghost 2 immobilizer.

OP
OP
dayusmc

dayusmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I've reached out to Auto Watch Canada a couple of times. He said they don't normally allow non dealers to do the install. Said he would help me do it on a video call. That was weeks ago. This would be for the Ghost 2 immobilizer.
It is Really, Really easy to install. The ghost is exactly the same as the AMPIRE.
Just a suggestion, but buy the AMPIRE, you will save a lot of money and the instructions are really good - with pictures.

OP
OP
dayusmc

dayusmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Another Note on the AMPIRE WFS400-PRO:
It retains the last ESS state even after the Jeep is shut off (I just confirmed this with my friend)
So no need for a Start/Stop Eliminator if you have the AMPIRE...

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
this is a great thread.
I skimmed the tazer part which is what I wanna do. Does this disable the other functions of the tazer?

Sponsored

OP
OP
dayusmc

dayusmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
this is a great thread.
I skimmed the tazer part which is what I wanna do. Does this disable the other functions of the tazer?
Not sure what you mean about disable the other functions of the Tazer. The Tazer works just the same as if it is plugged into the SGW plug under the dash. The only difference it is not plugged in there and you can hide it anywhere you want so not one can find it and unplug it.
Even if someone has your key fob. They can't drive the Jeep without putting in the PIN code.

Idlethunder

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Not sure what you mean about disable the other functions of the Tazer. The Tazer works just the same as if it is plugged into the SGW plug under the dash. The only difference it is not plugged in there and you can hide it anywhere you want so not one can find it and unplug it.
Even if someone has your key fob. They can't drive the Jeep without putting in the PIN code.
Have you talked with anyone interested in making and selling a harness for the Tazer Mini? I'd love to move mine.

OP
OP
dayusmc

dayusmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
No one has expressed any interest in making them. I emailed Z Automotive a few times about it, but got no answer.
It is really a simple harness to make if you have a source for the supplies. There was a guy who made some harnesses for Toyota stuff, but I can't remember who it was, I was going to reach out to him.
Anyway, I wish someone would make them....

Sweetums

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 LJR, '21 JTDR, '00 VFR800, RSV4, '11 MTS 1200
No one has expressed any interest in making them. I emailed Z Automotive a few times about it, but got no answer.
It is really a simple harness to make if you have a source for the supplies. There was a guy who made some harnesses for Toyota stuff, but I can't remember who it was, I was going to reach out to him.
Anyway, I wish someone would make them....
There's this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CD3TDM5Z?psc=1

It's not very long, but you could get it pretty far up inside the dash.

OP
OP
dayusmc

dayusmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I already have the parts listed to piece the harness together..
I am talking about someone making a ready made harness.

Sponsored

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 2500 2019 Jeep Cherokee
Have you talked with anyone interested in making and selling a harness for the Tazer Mini? I'd love to move mine.
I already have the parts listed to piece the harness together..
I am talking about someone making a ready made harness.
I can build them for whoever wants them.

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 TJ, 2010 JKU, 2023 JTR & 2011 Ram 3500 Dually
Pretty informative thread. I run the Tazer Mini and the one thing I cant seem to find any info on is the "SGW Lock" function. Not sure what the benefit is or what it accomplishes by locking it other than not allowing a connection via the ODB port?? This is all I can find and it is out of the manual

• SGW Lock “SGW”: Set to NO, this allows access
through the security gateway for dealer tools. Use
this feature only if you know your dealer doesn’t mind
aftermarket mods. Otherwise, you should Unmarry and

remove the Tazer before dealer service.

Does anyone know what it does and is there any advantage in locking it??

OP
OP
dayusmc

dayusmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I actually don't know anything about the SGW lock...
I can say after the latest firmware update for the Tazer mini, the pin lock works better.
Sponsored