Sponsored

2008 grand caravan misfiring, :( thoughts?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I jinxed myself by telling somebody on here how awesome my grand caravan has been yesterday.

Got up this morning my 2008 Grand Caravan was dropping at least 1 cylinder. Finally got a MIL, stopped by autozone, p0302 misfiring cylinder 2.

I replaced the plugs and plug wires for 2,4,6 (front of motor) and its still acting up. I'm thinking coil, but my buddy said with 3 coilpacks, if the first coil that fires cylinder 2 isn't working, it would also cause a problem with the other cylinder on that coil.

But i'm only getting 1 code.

Thoughts?

coil.jpg
Sponsored

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician
Yeah, try the coil, probably not the issue though, like your buddy said they both should be misfiring if it was coils. Your engine could be running lean meaning your engine could be not getting enough gas, that could be bad fuel injectors or vacuum leak.
I hope any of this helps.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Yeah, try the coil, probably not the issue though, like your buddy said they both should be misfiring if it was coils. Your engine could be running lean meaning your engine could be not getting enough gas, that could be bad fuel injectors or vacuum leak.
I hope any of this helps.
Yeah, thanks for the info.

gives me some stuff to chase after the coil and compression test. After that, probably have to drop it off at a mechanic. UGH!!! Gotta drive 140 miles this weekend. LOL, gotta borrow my grandmother's Pontiac Montana. oofdah

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah, thanks for the info.

gives me some stuff to chase after the coil and compression test. After that, probably have to drop it off at a mechanic. UGH!!! Gotta drive 140 miles this weekend. LOL, gotta borrow my grandmother's Pontiac Montana. oofdah
I know how you feel. My Mitsu-be-shitty has problems all the time, right now a engine mount is rusted out and it is leaking oil like Niagara falls. Only reason why I don't replace it is because I'm waiting for the JT.

Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know how you feel. My Mitsu-be-shitty has problems all the time, right now a engine mount is rusted out and it is leaking oil like Niagara falls. Only reason why I don't replace it is because I'm waiting for the JT.
i just watched this video, not bad. I'll give this a shot. Never replaced an intake manifold gasket on a v6 before. IF that is the problem, probably pay somebody to do it.

I have been thinking and I know this isn't exactly an accurate way to compare this, but......If I spend less than like $3000 per year on repairs for this thing, i should just keep driving it until I get a JT. =)

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
i just watched this video, not bad. I'll give this a shot. Never replaced an intake manifold gasket on a v6 before. IF that is the problem, probably pay somebody to do it.

I have been thinking and I know this isn't exactly an accurate way to compare this, but......If I spend less than like $3000 per year on repairs for this thing, i should just keep driving it until I get a JT. =)
That's how I feel about about replacing my car too. But I am really getting tired of repairing it. After I get a JT I'm gonna have to explode it or something for therapeutic reasons.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's how I feel about about replacing my car too. But I am really getting tired of repairing it. After I get a JT I'm gonna have to explode it or something for therapeutic reasons.
True story, we use to try and grenade motors of crappy cars we were scrapping. A guy I knew put a brick on the gas pedal of some cavalier that was misfiring, then let it suck in sand, nuts and bolts into the intake, and it kept running, it eventually blew up after 20 minutes of torture.

Anyways, when you hear fireworks that cities put off and they have the loud "booms" that just boom and flash, they call those "Salutes". They come in 3 or 4" mortars . A guy I knew videotaped lighting and throwing one into the cavalier. When it went off it blew the windshield 30 feet into the air, and the car was ruined, (like an IED).

Well he posted said video online and the ATF found out about it and paid him a visit.............The video ended up being showed on one of those "stupid people getting in trouble with police" shows. Good times, now i'm 13 year older, lol.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Don't know man. sounds like you are finding reasons to go JT....

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Its possible it is the intake gasket but I would run a compression test and leak down test for more info. I think it may be a valve issue.

EDIT: Also possible it is the injector, or Crank sensor (odd I know but seent it happen)

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
My best suggestion would be to get it fixed quickly and then quickly trade it in for a Gladiator before it breaks again.

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Its possible it is the intake gasket but I would run a compression test and leak down test for more info. I think it may be a valve issue.
You gotta love Chryslers...

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
You gotta love Chryslers...
Right.... not sure on the 3.3/3.8 but the 3.7/4.7/5.7 I would bet a paycheck on the valve seats.... and then there's the early 3.6 VVT with disintegrating roller rockers.....

anyway Comp + leak down tests should tell us

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Right.... not sure on the 3.3/3.8 but the 3.7/4.7/5.7 I would bet a paycheck on the valve seats.... and then there's the early 3.6 VVT with disintegrating roller rockers.....

anyway Comp + leak down tests should tell us
I've never done a leak down test. Gotta read up on that. I can do the comp test.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)