Sponsored

F150 ride quality compared to Wrangler

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Jeep Gladiator Overland, ‘17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, ‘73 Porsche 914-6 GT,
Hello.
First post here.
Very intrigued by the Gladiator.
My dd is an F150 XLT 4x4.
Also have a ‘17 Grand Cherokee
No doubt the Gladiator will be a different ride quality from a Wrangler
Any body chime in how a
Wrangler compares to a F150 ride.
Anybody own both to let me have an idea of what to expect.
I’ll have to arrange a test drive in a
Wrangler soon.
Just looking for opinions.
Cheers,Dion
Sponsored

furrymurray

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator SG Rubicon
The new Wranglers ride great IMO so I believe the Gladiator will ride much closer to your F150.

Blisskiss

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I want to chime in here and say that the Jeep Gladiators extraordinarily long wheel base will play a huge role in it's ride quality.

As the wheel base length grows, stability is gained, but you lose maneuverability. You also risk the greater chance of the vehicle becoming high-centered (ground rubbing the center of the vehicle) when traversing bumps in the road unless you increase the ride height of the vehicle or in some way gain more ground clearance, but then you lose some stability due to a higher center of gravity. Conversely, as the wheel base length shrinks, stability is lost, but you gain in maneuverability. Some of the stability can be regained through widening the wheel track (distance between the tires on a given axle).

pilotpat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7 & 2020 Bright White Launch Edition Jeep Gladiator :)
I Just sold my 2015 F150 Super Crew XLT. That truck rode so nice. The Wranglers I have driven drive different but I like the ride very much. My only comparison is I have a 79 CJ7 and it isn't a pleasant ride unless you realize you are driving a 79 CJ7 and don't go over 50-55 mph. The review state the longer wheelbase in the Gladiator gives it a little nicer ride than the shorter JL Wrangler. I'm thinking all is good. Hope that gives some incite?

OP
OP
Moab

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Jeep Gladiator Overland, ‘17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, ‘73 Porsche 914-6 GT,
Thanks fellas,
Appreciate the feedback.

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
First of all welcome to the best Gladiator forum on the net..

I have had several F-150’s and several Super Duties as well. I am a Ford and Jeep guy at heart.

IMHO the recent F-150’s have become too soft. They are trying to get the truck to behave more like a car. I don’t think the Gladiator will ride that soft...and that’s a good thing as far as i’m concerned. The solid front axle of the Gladiator will make it ride more like a truck. However it should ride much better than the Wrangler so I would not let that decide for you.

If you look at the payload of the F-150 it is pathetic and in many cases the Gladiator is at least as good if not better.

I would recommend waiting until one hits your local dealer and taking it for a test ride before making up your mind....if you can drive the Overland version that might give you the most luxurious ride...but I’m just guessing.

OP
OP
Moab

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey smlobx,
I get your points. All good.
Like the Jeep off road capabilities. That’s an attraction. Especially since I’ve been smitten with Utah and a possible relocation in the future. Here in PA for now it’s snow and ice battles really. Having Jeep strengths coupled with pickup duties is the ticket.
Not really needing a full size pickup at this stage of life, occasion of moving my college kids around, normal house chores, tractors/mulch load. Towing a sports car on trailer. I think the Gladiator will full fill that.
The Overland Cherokee is posh. I’m not expecting that ride, was curious if it is closer to the F150. You answered perfectly.
Really looking forward to trying it out as the
Ranger is not appealing to me. A friend has a Colorado 2x. Nice ride, feels well planted.
Good mpg & power.
Aesthetically interior wise it’s ok. Gladiator/Wrangler more appealing to me.
Cheers all.

biggdave92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR / 2000 XJ Sport 4x4
I currently own a 13 JK rubicon and a 17 supercrew f150 fx4. When i get up in the morning, i make a decision on what to drive. If i have a lot of driving to do, i drive the ford. It's just more of a refined driver. Ride great, drive great, very comfortable. It's like riding in a limo. If its not raining and not too much driving to do (150 miles or less), i drive the jeep. There are nights where i cant wait to get in the jeep the next day.

I'm selling the 150 to get a JT. I think it'll ride and drive considerably better than my JK. Not that the JK drives bad, but it's no F150. Jeep requires attention. With the 150 you just point and go.

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link
I want to chime in here and say that the Jeep Gladiators extraordinarily long wheel base will play a huge role in it's ride quality.

As the wheel base length grows, stability is gained, but you lose maneuverability. You also risk the greater chance of the vehicle becoming high-centered (ground rubbing the center of the vehicle) when traversing bumps in the road unless you increase the ride height of the vehicle or in some way gain more ground clearance, but then you lose some stability due to a higher center of gravity. Conversely, as the wheel base length shrinks, stability is lost, but you gain in maneuverability. Some of the stability can be regained through widening the wheel track (distance between the tires on a given axle).
holychit.
You need some new elected officials if your roads are so bad you're afraid of center grounding a Gladiator...

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Thanks fellas,
Appreciate the feedback.
;)
First of all welcome to the best Gladiator forum on the net..
Woot Woot! :like:
Hey smlobx,
I get your points. All good.
Not really needing a full size pickup at this stage of life, occasion of moving my college kids around, normal house chores, tractors/mulch load. Towing a sports car on trailer. I think the Gladiator will full fill that.
Cough....cough.....you forgot to mention hauling plywood for the occasional weekend project!

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Just my $0.02.

The Jeep is fine around town and fine on the HWY if you dont plan on modifying it. I am a 2013 JKU owner but have friends that and family that are die hard Ford guys. Both the newer F150s and Super Duties ride 10x better IMO. I'm not sure why but even the SFA Super Duty still steers fantastic while the Jeep has a lot of loose play in the steering. Many Jeep guys will not say thats the case but if you drive them back to back you'll notice it.

Once you mod the Jeep thing change for both the better and the worst. I have AEV's 2.5" kit on my JKU and the bigger tires (35s) and new shocks made it ride better and more stable. The trade off though is it wonders a lot more on Freeway, and even with the regear is a dog when trying to drive 70 MPH+.

I drive a lot of long trips for hiking, snowboarding and camping and the HWY manners are main reason I'm not considering Gladiator. Its hands down my biggest concern as my current JKU just makes me feel exhausted by the time I get anywhere if the drive is over 2 hours.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Moab

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I currently own a 13 JK rubicon and a 17 supercrew f150 fx4. When i get up in the morning, i make a decision on what to drive. If i have a lot of driving to do, i drive the ford. It's just more of a refined driver. Ride great, drive great, very comfortable. It's like riding in a limo. If its not raining and not too much driving to do (150 miles or less), i drive the jeep. There are nights where i cant wait to get in the jeep the next day.

I'm selling the 150 to get a JT. I think it'll ride and drive considerably better than my JK. Not that the JK drives bad, but it's no F150. Jeep requires attention. With the 150 you just point and go.

OP
OP
Moab

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well guys sounds like this Gladiator will be a winner for me. I’m no stranger to some Hwy. wander. I have 33” Nitto’s on my Ford.
So time to decide on a colour and buy some
plywood!

5C388296-59B6-4019-A09B-848A3E1903C8.jpeg

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2016 JKUR, 2015 JKURHR, 2015 F150, 1973 Ford Bronco

I pretty much echo that exact statement down to selling the F150 for an LE JT. It is going to be hard to get rid of the F150 though, I'll most likely regret it soon afterwards.

Just my $0.02.

The Jeep is fine around town and fine on the HWY if you dont plan on modifying it. I am a 2013 JKU owner but have friends that and family that are die hard Ford guys. Both the newer F150s and Super Duties ride 10x better IMO. I'm not sure why but even the SFA Super Duty still steers fantastic while the Jeep has a lot of loose play in the steering. My Jeep guys will not say thats the case but if you drive them back to back you'll notice it.

Once you mod the Jeep thing change for both the better and the worst. I have AEV's 2.5" kit on my JKU and the bigger tires (35s) and new shocks made it ride better and more stable. The trade off though is it wonders a lot more on Freeway, and even with the regear is a dog when trying to drive 70 MPH+.

I drive a lot of long trips for hiking, snowboarding and camping and the HWY manners are main reason I'm not considering Gladiator. Its hands down my biggest concern as my current JKU just makes me feel exhausted by the time I get anywhere if the drive is over 2 hours.
I couldn't have said it better myself, especially the last sentence. I have 2 JKUR's, one with a 3.5" JKS suspension and 35" KM3's and the other with a 3.5" AEV suspension and 35" Toyo MT's. Either one has me worn out after a few hours behind the wheel. So much so in fact that today I decided to drive the F150 to the Overland Expo next month instead of one of the JKUR's even though that means no side trips off road. The F150 Lariat is just that much more comfortable to drive 5000 mi in 2 weeks vs the Jeep.