Comparing Gladiator to Current Truck (F150) - Didn't Fall in Love Like I Wanted To

1. WXman

WXman Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Gladiator
    Liked:
    Meteorology and Transportation
    I giggle when I hear the Tremor name because that used to be a package on the little Ranger pickups that gave you a wicked audio system. Now they're using the name on the biggest truck they make as an off-road package. Lol. Ford is horrible at proper usage of trademarks and nameplates. Sort of like how they're now killing the Mustang and Mach 1 names by diluting them on an ugly electric golf cart. But I digress....

The 2020 F-250 with that new big block gas engine will be a sweet truck, but I can't imagine taking a 7,000 lb. monster into the trail systems. There are a lot of places where a truck that big just will not fit.

Mightytalldude and mmcan like this.
  2. Jt-wrx

Jt-wrx Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Blake
    Vehicle(s):
    20 sport s 6spd
    Liked:
    A half ton is the most versatile vehicle going. It does more things really well than all other vehicles available. Work, play, family. It is the ultimate swiss army knife.

The Gladiator is the most versatile mid-size truck and lifestyle vehicle going. It can't do as many things as well as the full size half tons but it can do several things better than half tons, at the trade off of doing several things not nearly as good as a half ton. It's more like a leatherman.

A Gladiator also has an 'it' factor. Half tons don't. So if you need practicality above all else, then half ton is for you. If you can get by with the capabilities of the Gladiator and like to be 'moved' by your vehicle then it's tough to beat a Gladiator.

There's nothing like the Gladiator on the road in terms of being an emotional vehicle while still being a versatile daily.

3. whiteglad

whiteglad Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Gladiator max tow
    Liked:
    I'm keeping my Ram 3500 diesel single rear wheel pickup for heavy towing. It has a second fuel tank in the bed, so there isn't much more space than the Glad has, but if you were hauling lead bricks, it could hold a lot more--about 4000 lb. rather than 1500. It is way better at heavy towing, of course, but it weighs about 8000 lb. on the hoof, and as my daughter says: "it's fat." Well, it is, and so is an F150 or Ram 1500. Six inches wider and longer. Not a trail vehicle at all, even with 4wd. I took my 1997 Ram diesel on a lot of trails, but it weighed about 1500 lb. less even though it too was "fat." It also got a lot of trail "pinstriping" from squeezing between trees/brush on two-tracks.

Bottom line, for me: the Ram with 55k on the odometer stays in the garage until I need to tow a heavy trailer. The Glad is for everything else, and can do some towing as well. I have a light open trailer if I don't want to cram a bunch of plywood sheets into the Glad.

4. whiteglad

First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Gladiator max tow
    Liked:
    The Gladiator is the ultimate emotional support vehicle, and the only one that is groundhog rated!

Jeep®   “Groundhog Day” Off Script_Moment.jpg

Jt-wrx and TheITGuy like this.
  5. Jt-wrx

Jt-wrx Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Blake
    Vehicle(s):
    20 sport s 6spd
    Liked:
    #35 Mar 25, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    So i went from a 2014 Ram 1500 crew cab SLT shortbox 4x pentastar 8spd to a Gladiator. I knew i was going make some sacrifices...comfort/ride/handling, interior space, box space. It's downsides for me were using as a daily for downtown commute and family vehicle was somewhat cumbersome size wise, narrow streets, banging the mirrors of stuff, had a million door dings after 6 years. My trailer and box needs could be met by a midsize and so i knew the midsize segment was where i was headed. Loved that truck, best trucks on the market, it got wrote off in a wreck so i ended up in a JT way earlier than anticipated but there was no doubt which midsize i was going to end up with once the JT came out. Here's some give/take.

Dimensions:
    Length - Ram 19.1', JT 18.1' (-1')
    Width - Ram Body 79.4", JT 73.8" (-5.6")
    Width - Ram Mirrors 103.5", JT 77" (-26.5"!...that's over 2' narrower wingtips!)
    Ground Clearance Ram - 9.1", JT 10.1 to 11.1" (2" mopar on 35's puts that up to 12.1"...+3" for mine)

Ram SLT carries more fuel, gets better mileage with same power train, long range winner. Ram starts life about 650 lbs heavier than the JT sport S, about 150 lbs heavier than loaded rubicon. Ram box a bit wider, bit longer, and deeper also. Ram always got to my downed deer/moose but mostly farm country, the jeep will be a whole different level offroad than any half ton. Height the ram could squeak into 6'4" parkades, the stock JT sport s could squeak into a 6'2" parkade, my sport s with 2" mopar on 35's can get into 6'6" parkades. (edit...hardtop!, soft top on the JT is taller)

For midsize the JT is on the bigger end and closer to half ton than all the rest of the midsize segment, space, capability etc. But is the offroad wizard aside from the colorado zr2 (baby raptor).

6. whiteglad

First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Gladiator max tow
    Liked:
    Those door dings really bother me. Especially with aluminum doors. Soon after getting my 2017 Recon, I parked it at a mall and waited for my wife to get something. Wouldn't you know it, someone parked a car right next to me, and then heaved herself out of it, slamming her door open in the process, right into my super stout rock rail! Remembering that incident, I lost no time getting Rock Hard angled up sliders for my JT.

Jt-wrx and TheITGuy like this.
  7. Jt-wrx

Jt-wrx Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Blake
    Vehicle(s):
    20 sport s 6spd
    Liked:
    Yes me too, when i saw the JT, the black plastic fenders front and rear, and the overland running boards...i saw door ding protection front to rear! and got pretty excited about it, i sat in my truck countless times to have someone or their kids get out and bang doors into me, one of my pet peeves of the half ton. But whereas the outer envelope of the half ton is call it 'full' around the wheels front to back...the Jeeps outer envelope is more wasp like and rides inside the wheels front to back. That's why i like the non-painted fenders, but most do bigger fatter tires with 4.5" bs which protect even those, then those plastic side steps could prove worth it just as protection from the a-holes of the world. ;) I park with fearless abandon and haven't seen one yet in about 5000 miles, so fingers crossed my theory is correct, get it up in the air a bit so those side steps catch those doors, the wheels/fender flares will cover front and back from the really special parkers lol.

TheITGuy likes this.
  8. VictoryLights

VictoryLights New Member

Vehicle(s):
    Honda Pilot
    Liked:
    I think the reason want to compare it to their full size trucks so often is because they are priced the same. In my mind, that makes it a fair comparison. To buy a gladiator, you have to be willing to rationalize that you can get a larger, more luxurious, more capable vehicle for the same price. You are paying for the concept of a convertible mid size pickup that is a Jeep. Just my opinion.