Sponsored

Comparing Gladiator to Current Truck (F150) - Didn't Fall in Love Like I Wanted To

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
Seems like an odd comparison. Jeep never marketed the Wrangler/Gladiator as a HD hauler or towing monster. It's a play toy/lifestyle truck. You can drive it around easier on a daily basis, do some Home Depot runs, and then go out and hit the trails on the weekends.

Looks like you've got what you need with the F150. They're great trucks. Maybe buy a RZR to tow to the trails.
I think he WANTS a Gladiator but needs to insure it meets his NEEDS too. There are a lot of people in that boat. My brother and I are two of them.
Sponsored

edapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150
I am in the same boat. 3 kids in carseats, wife, dog, stuff. Currently drive a 2018 F150 and have used the center seat up front (6th seat) regularly and sometimes even for extended trips. Clearly can't downsize at this point!

Gladiator got my attention when it was announced and I have followed it since. Would love to own one. But really what it made me realize is a much more realistic option for me is a 2 door wrangler as a weekender/joyrider. I cant fit a wrangler or gladiator in full time, but because of the gladiator, I find myself really wanting a jeep one day!

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
So I went to my local dealership to check out a Gladiator that they had on the lot, Firecracker Red Overland. The Jeep was fantastic and my wife even gave me the go-ahead if I wanted to buy it and liked the interior. However, I just didn't feel good enough to move forward.

Here are my issues:
Towing Capacity -> I currently tow my 21' boat with my 2015 F150 5.0 without issue. I estimate that boat + trailer is ~5000 lbs. I take long trips to the coast or to other lakes and pulling the trailer I get 14mpg at 70 mph. It has plenty of power, smooth, tons of cargo space, etc. I just can't bring myself to think that the V6 with at least 100 less horse power and more than 100 less torque is going to perform that well doing the same task.

Bed Volume -> We use my current truck as our family vehicle for travel quite often. It has a tonneau cover and it can haul quite a bit. The bed size of the Gladiator looks small and is small. I pulled some specs on bed volume. F150 5.5' bed = 52.8 cubic feed. Gladiator bed = 35.5 cubic feet. In fact I was curious because we used to have a JKUR and the cargo space in an Unlimited is ~ 30-31 cubic feet. This would be a hit to stuff I can carry, not to mention the decrease in payload capacity. It seems at holiday time every year that the back of the truck ends up getting filled hauling stuff to all our families in other states, I don't know how this would work in the Gladiator.

Interior Space-> This is known but it is much smaller than my F150. This is probably the least of my worries however, I love the huge flat floor space in my F150 with the seats are folded up. Often I find myself hauling stuff inside the cab with the seats folded up, you just slide the large box in across the floor.

I was hoping that getting to sit in the Gladiator and check it out would push me over the edge, but it just hasn't done it. I really love the concept and still want one but just don't think it makes sense for me.
Not sure why you are disappointed. I am not and when it comes to trucks I am FORD ALL THE WAY....ohh but wait, I drive an F 350, CC, LB King Ranch, but I ordered a Glad Rubicon Saturday. Take Away: Cannot compare apples and oranges, GLads 5 ft bed to my 8 ft bed etc. But I needed another truck in my company and the GL fits real well with its 5 ft bed and the trailer it will tow will weigh in around 3500 max incl weight of the trailer.

The F 150 and the GL are both Trucks, but ONLY the GL is a Jeep!

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Seems like an odd comparison. Jeep never marketed the Wrangler/Gladiator as a HD hauler or towing monster. It's a play toy/lifestyle truck. You can drive it around easier on a daily basis, do some Home Depot runs, and then go out and hit the trails on the weekends.

Looks like you've got what you need with the F150. They're great trucks. Maybe buy a RZR to tow to the trails.
Whatchu talking about Willis? The JT hauls 19 sheets of plywood, albeit 1/4" to keep under the 300lb half tailgate position, but still ITS A HAULER, lmao.

yeah if you're hauling 4k daily, or cross country, not the right truck.

77badriand

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2017 Jeep JK
I came from a full size GMC Sierra crew cab, wife has a JK and loves her. I wanted a Jeep but need a truck bed so once I saw they was coming out with the truck again I was on board. My last 3 trucks were all gmc full size trucks but knew it wouldn’t be a comparison on size or towing so didn’t try to compare. Currently have 2200 miles on my gladiator and haven’t missed my old truck yet. I have a 2.5 inch lift with 35’s and I’m getting around 17.5 mpg around town or above which is slightly better than I got in my gmc with the 5.3. Like having a smaller frame to maneuver around. If I need to reach in back seat I don’t have to undo my seatbelt and lean out of seat to grab it. Also had a 3.5 inch lift on my gmc and Everytime I needed in bed to retrieve something I had to jump up in the back. JT I can reach over and grab from any side. Loving the JT!!

EE90BC34-659D-409C-B383-99F5434E1AE1.jpeg

Sponsored

Jeepdude413

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator
Occupation
Job.... always got a job...
So I went to my local dealership to check out a Gladiator that they had on the lot, Firecracker Red Overland. The Jeep was fantastic and my wife even gave me the go-ahead if I wanted to buy it and liked the interior. However, I just didn't feel good enough to move forward.

Here are my issues:
Towing Capacity -> I currently tow my 21' boat with my 2015 F150 5.0 without issue. I estimate that boat + trailer is ~5000 lbs. I take long trips to the coast or to other lakes and pulling the trailer I get 14mpg at 70 mph. It has plenty of power, smooth, tons of cargo space, etc. I just can't bring myself to think that the V6 with at least 100 less horse power and more than 100 less torque is going to perform that well doing the same task.

Bed Volume -> We use my current truck as our family vehicle for travel quite often. It has a tonneau cover and it can haul quite a bit. The bed size of the Gladiator looks small and is small. I pulled some specs on bed volume. F150 5.5' bed = 52.8 cubic feed. Gladiator bed = 35.5 cubic feet. In fact I was curious because we used to have a JKUR and the cargo space in an Unlimited is ~ 30-31 cubic feet. This would be a hit to stuff I can carry, not to mention the decrease in payload capacity. It seems at holiday time every year that the back of the truck ends up getting filled hauling stuff to all our families in other states, I don't know how this would work in the Gladiator.

Interior Space-> This is known but it is much smaller than my F150. This is probably the least of my worries however, I love the huge flat floor space in my F150 with the seats are folded up. Often I find myself hauling stuff inside the cab with the seats folded up, you just slide the large box in across the floor.

I was hoping that getting to sit in the Gladiator and check it out would push me over the edge, but it just hasn't done it. I really love the concept and still want one but just don't think it makes sense for me.
I too own a F-150 and love it. 2012 and never an issue. I would not consider trading it in for a JT. I did however trade in a JKR 2 dr, so to me that is an upgrade. The Gladiator is a nice rig but no comparison to a full size truck of the F 150 caliber.

Ted Striker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Texas Trail
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Owning a Jeep has been on my bucket list for over 30 years.
To me, this is the biggest thing. You can't go through your whole life not getting that Jeep, Corvette, boat, etc. because when you're 90 years old you'll be sitting there talking about the "should've and the almost" and not truly ever getting that feeling of satisfaction from actually owning one. Hell, even if you buy one and regret it, you can give it up after awhile and go back to practicality, but you'll never know unless you actually take the plunge and do it.

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT Rubi, 2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
Financial Services
To me, this is the biggest thing. You can't go through your whole life not getting that Jeep, Corvette, boat, etc. because when you're 90 years old you'll be sitting there talking about the "should've and the almost" and not truly ever getting that feeling of satisfaction from actually owning one. Hell, even if you buy one and regret it, you can give it up after awhile and go back to practicality, but you'll never know unless you actually take the plunge and do it.
This.

I've always wanted one, but it was always my own excuses stopping me. It's worse on gas than x, or there's not enough space for y, if I ever get that boat I have wanted it won't tow as well as z, or it's more expensive for less vehicle (the running theme on a lot of these posts). Always wanted a pickup, but never pulled the trigger, and now I've gone as far as getting my wife her own SUV (New York snow and she travels 2 hours into the city for work every day), just so I could set myself up to get what I've always wanted.

Even now, after years of waiting for a jeep that is both a Wrangler at heart, but gives me the bed I need for my home improvement projects, I'm having a rough time with the price point vs. the vehicle I'm getting (not that it's expensive, more that it's expensive for the sake of taking the top/doors off only), which is why I've looked at the Raptor, TRD, Rebel, Sierra, Bison, etc. My Loyalties are to my wallet, not a brand.

Ford wants 5k over asking for the Raptor (70k prices me out of this option), the TRD Pro was a looker in Blue but antiquated in the cabin, the Sierra build I want now fits into that Raptor price range with the new model (Love that tailgate), the Bison is just a fancy Colorado and I've owned 2 Chevy's I was not happy with, and the Rebel just came out with the 12in screen option but I am having a real hard time buying a vehicle that I see hundreds of every day, even though in my eyes it's clearly the best bang for your buck.

If you Need full size capabilities, and you don't have the means to own both (not a jab, I don't have the means to own both myself), then your post is a non-starter. If you just want full size capabilities, just get the jeep because it's just plain cooler. There is a crazy Jeep following for a reason.

Either way, Something tells me not many people are stopping you in the street to talk about your F-150.

Bekah

First Name
Rebecca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator

Here are my issues:

In my opinion they are not comparable trucks. We kept our Ford F-250 and actually traded in our GMC Denali 3500 dually because we simply didn't need the big boy anymore as the F-250 meets our towing needs for the fifth wheel and general hauling needs whereas the Gladiator is the fun adventure toy.

If you truly need a truck, my opinion is a Gladiator is not a suitable replacement. If you just "like" trucks or live in suburbia with no real towing or payload needs besides the occasional visit to home Depot or Lowe's, then the Gladiator may fit the bill.

Sponsored

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 HD XL1200X
Vehicle Showcase
I came from a full size GMC Sierra crew cab, wife has a JK and loves her. I wanted a Jeep but need a truck bed so once I saw they was coming out with the truck again I was on board. My last 3 trucks were all gmc full size trucks but knew it wouldn’t be a comparison on size or towing so didn’t try to compare. Currently have 2200 miles on my gladiator and haven’t missed my old truck yet. I have a 2.5 inch lift with 35’s and I’m getting around 17.5 mpg around town or above which is slightly better than I got in my gmc with the 5.3. Like having a smaller frame to maneuver around. If I need to reach in back seat I don’t have to undo my seatbelt and lean out of seat to grab it. Also had a 3.5 inch lift on my gmc and Everytime I needed in bed to retrieve something I had to jump up in the back. JT I can reach over and grab from any side. Loving the JT!!

EE90BC34-659D-409C-B383-99F5434E1AE1.jpeg
This is good to hear. I sold my Silverado with a 7" lift and 35" tires and am waiting on my Gladiator to arrive...or be built stil, i guess. haha. I've had folks tell me I'll regret it, especially ordering the manual transmission, but I don't think so. These things have such a fun factor built into em...and I don't "work" my trucks anyways.

TheWingman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR, 2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
This is good to hear. I sold my Silverado with a 7" lift and 35" tires and am waiting on my Gladiator to arrive...or be built stil, i guess. haha. I've had folks tell me I'll regret it, especially ordering the manual transmission, but I don't think so. These things have such a fun factor built into em...and I don't "work" my trucks anyways.
Had a 6 speed JLU that I traded for my Gladiator. The 6 speed in the Gladiator would be an absolute hoot. One of the smoothest sticks I’ve had. If I didn’t need the towing capacity I would’ve gone manual in a heartbeat.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation

Here are my issues:

I came from a F-150 Supercrew 4x4 with the 5.0L Coyote V8. I can assure you the Gladiator tows equally as well. In fact, my JT gets better fuel economy while towing 6,000 lbs. than my F-150 did.

Bed volume... I'll give you that. But with the F-150's 6 inch longer bed, I didn't feel that I really lost much. Payload? My JT has 1,511 lbs. of payload. My F-150 had 1,534. Again, no real difference.

Interior space.. this is where I agree. The JK was tight. For some unknown stupid reason, FCA decided to make the JL/JT even smaller. They cut hip/shoulder room by nearly a full 2 inches and decreased passenger volume also. I have no idea what they were thinking.

However, if you gave me the choice, I would not go back to my F-150. My JT does ALL the work my F-150 did, gets better fuel economy doing it, and fits in my residential garage.

mmcan

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU, 2013 Ford F150FX4, 1996 Chevy pick up,
Newb here. First post. Pertinent topic for me.
I have a 2008 JKU built pretty nice. EVO suspension. 37” tires, and so on. Has about 120k miles on it. Many of them are hard miles off the beaten path. I’m not as confident taking it over the remote passes in CO any more. Things are breaking. So I’m looking at options.
I also have a 2013 F150. 115k miles on it. I want to transition it to my ranch truck. So I’m looking at new trucks.

I can absolutely see myself being very happy in a built up Gladiator. It would take me into the mountains just like my JKU can, And it serves the purpose of a truck to a good degree.

But I’m also looking at an F250 bc my needs for a stronger truck will grow down the road.

I’m really torn at this part. And like the others who have commented, “It’s a Jeep thing” is VERY REAL!. I have loved my Jeep. My heart is leaning towards the GLADIATOR.

But my brain says “F250” again and again!!
Ford is coming out with the Tremor which is supposed to have improved off road capability.

But it will never be a Jeep.

#TheStruggleIsReal

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
new JT now, used F250 when necessary!
Sponsored