Gladiator vs... kei truck?

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2021 BMW M2, 2012 Monster 1100evo
Occupation
Business Intelligence
I like my Gladiator, but the manual Mojave I have is missing a bit of get up and go. Part of that could be solved by regearing, part of it could have been solved if I had just ordered the automatic. Those are sensible solutions.

Instead I have ordered a 2024 Wrangler 392. I figure if I'm going to get 13 mpg then it might as well hustle and sound cool.

But this will leave me without a truck for the first time in many years, and having a pickup as a homeowner is so incredibly handy.

There are sensible solutions here as well; I could buy a trailer (though I have little room to store it). I could rent a trailer from the U-Haul 3 blocks away for $15 a day.
Nay, that would make far too much sense.

So what I've been thinking of is getting a kei truck. I just can't get them out of my head!
Tiny, loud, no AC, can't really even go over 60 mph, surprisingly bad fuel economy considering it's a 660 cc engine... it's perfect!

The practical side of them is that the bed on the kei trucks are actually larger than the Gladiator, are much lower, and you can flip the sides and tailgate down to basically have a flatbed. These little things were made to work (in mega cities like Tokyo and Kyoto and not in the vastness of the US).

Anyone else have these thoughts? Anyone else have experience owning a kei truck? I could see owning both one and a Gladiator just as toys and for the novelty of the kei.
I am most interested in either the Suzuki Carry or Subaru Sambar. I would absolutely try off-roading in one - apparently they're pretty decent off road!
Sponsored

Freems

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport 2022 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Retired
I drool on these every time I see them, and I’m not 100% sure why. They remind me of a garage built, lawnmower based, back yard operated only ride…I want one bad! OP, thanks for fanning the flame. The wife is going to be pissed, when I drag one home! I also have enough saved up, I’m putting snow tracks on it.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator vs... kei truck? 1699540254461

It will fit on my flat bed trailer and the JT will be the tow rig. I can’t wait!

howeitsdone

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mojave 6-spd, '00 XJ, '88 MJ
When I lived in a small town in Utah there was a house that had a couple of them. They used them for tons of things and many Lowe's runs. Although, our max speed limit was 35 and 45 on the main hwy. Might not be as fun on the freeway
Sponsored