Sponsored

Tops! Canopy / covers / toppers / racks possibilities for Gladiator - Show me!

Bobs85Reny

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ7 Renegade, 81 Cj8 Scrammler, 84 CJ8 Scrambler, 89 YJ Laredo, 06 Wrangler LJ, 86 CJ7, 02 Liberty, 16 jeePatriot
Good afternoon everyone, I am just following up with some information i received from Ursa Minor Vehicles for the Gladiator platform. I informed them in my email that I had seen full time over lander/adventure vlogger, Chris Shontz utilizing their JK popup camper top.

"Hi John –
Thanks for following Chris on his adventures, and your enthusiasm for our campers!
Our plan is an integrated camper that covers both the bed and the cab, allowing access from inside Jeep.
We won’t do much on it until the JL camper is in production and we free up some engineering/design time for the Gladiator!"

I know this isn't much info to explain the configuration, and I hope I don't get anyone in trouble for posting, but we are all curious of what options will be available right??? Anyway, after seeing some of @Bobs85Reny renderings, and reading some of the members concerns about construction and flex stressors, it seems as though they have taken the cab to bed flex and sealing to consideration and will be developing something similar to renderings from post #3. Im just curious of the location of the popup portion. Will it be a 4 person condo from cab to tailgate? will it be just the bed portion? will it be just over the cab? will it look like the red ambulance from post #3? I guess only time will tell.
I really like the Ursa Minor JK top. I am sure they will come up with something great. I have been thinking how to work around the cab bed structure and came up with this. Lets say we make the top part of the roof one piece. However the lower structure between the bed and cab would be 2 pieces between bed and cab. Next we support the roof with 6 actuators that is supported from the bed structure but runs full truck length. This should give the strength needed to support roof and keep it separated from cab.

gladrack_FullRackCamperb.gif

gladrack_FullRackCamperc.gif
Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I really like the Ursa Minor JK top. I am sure they will come up with something great. I have been thinking how to work around the cab bed structure and came up with this. Lets say we make the top part of the roof one piece. However the lower structure between the bed and cab would be 2 pieces between bed and cab. Next we support the roof with 6 actuators that is supported from the bed structure but runs full truck length. This should give the strength needed to support roof and keep it separated from cab.

Holy crap, the renderings now move? Can you make them do burnouts?

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
The guy has talent. And if someone gave him a nickel for every photoshop job he’s done here then I bet he would almost have enough to pay for a Gladiator, maybe even one with a roof that goes up and down like a Pogo Stick. Hee haw!!!!

Holy crap, the renderings now move? Can you make them do burnouts?

Sponsored

JeepDreams

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gobi Jeep Renegade. Priors: 2007 Rescue Green Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
@Bobs85Reny - I don't know what your day job is, but man-o-man, you've got some skills here!!

josephtai3

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Yea I have been debating the perfect rack for a while in my head. IMO it would need the following features:

1) Bed Rail Mounted or External Skeleton (like on the JK, JL and that Brute post) - to allow a roll top hard water tight tonneau cover
2) I would like it to sit at a height that the roof top tent sits level with the cab to reduce drag
3) The cross bars (one that the tent sits on and go the same direction of the tailgate) are removable for days when you want to use the bed to haul large or tall items and when the tent is off the rack
4) Accessory storage on the side of the rack for fuel cans, shovel, etc
finally, after searching thru the net, I've found it! this is what I'm looking for too!
tonneau cover to waterproof my stuff
a rack for my tent that works in conjunction with the tonneau cover
easy removal when I want to use the truck bed for hauling.

josephtai3

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
So if you were going to go with a hardshell camper top it would need to extend above roof height in order to fit without hanging over the back.
GladiatorBedrack2.jpg
perfect! now just need a tonneau cover with something like this!!! thank you for the great work!!!

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
http://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/products/sport-leisure/shade/awnings/batwing-awning-left-_33100
These look pretty nice, whats the wayout one, alucab? I gotta find a price on that, this is only $750. I love how the legs fold out, but i think the alucab one stays out more without bending. Perhaps part of it is that the alucab is mounted higher below. Alucab also has that middle post that goes up, and apparently has fold out posts as well. Definately looks nicer, probably heavier. Its also double the cost. Can't find many places that carry it in the USA, https://adventure-ready.com/store/alu-cab-shadow-awning/

Rhino-rack Batwing
Unit size length close – 98″
Area covered – 118 Square Foot
Weight – 47 Lbs

upload_2019-6-12_21-1-55.png

upload_2019-6-12_21-24-4.png

Alu-Cab Shadow Awning Any Australian JT fans have any info about alu-cab or where to buy this in the states? I'm imagining shipping from Australia will be a ton.
Unit size length close – 102″
Area covered – 108 Square Foot
Weight – 53 Lbs

Last edited:

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rhino-rack Batwing
Weight – 47 Lbs

Alu-Cab Shadow Awning
Weight – 53 Lbs
I'm confused. How can the batwing be 4" shorter but 10 square foot more? maybe the legs extend farther?
Must be this, its like the 2nd and 4th leg are shorter than the other 2, making some kind of square thing, whereas the other one has 5 equal length legs. I kinda like the way the alucab one looks like, since it squares off with the vehicle side, you can park next to something flat, like another car or wall. With the other one it sticks out past the car a bit...wish I could get the dimensions.
upload_2019-6-12_21-43-2.png

upload_2019-6-12_21-43-39.png

Aha! last leg is shorter, i'm a fricken genius,

Last edited:

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

As always superb work. Wow!

Would it be easier if it was angled? The way the Ursa Minor tops are? Instead of moving the entire roof up, you go up a few feet on the back only...

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
http://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/products/sport-leisure/shade/awnings/batwing-awning-left-_33100
These look pretty nice, whats the wayout one, alucab? I gotta find a price on that, this is only $750. I love how the legs fold out, but i think the alucab one stays out more without bending. Perhaps part of it is that the alucab is mounted higher below. Alucab also has that middle post that goes up, and apparently has fold out posts as well. Definately looks nicer, probably heavier. Its also double the cost. Can't find many places that carry it in the USA, https://adventure-ready.com/store/alu-cab-shadow-awning/

Rhino-rack Batwing
Weight – 47 Lbs

upload_2019-6-12_21-1-55.png

Alu-Cab Shadow Awning
Weight – 53 Lbs

Both of these are great options.
If only someone was keeping a master list of great ideas :idea::LOL:
Sponsored