First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Silversmith
On our way to OC Maryland and we stop for gas. We both get out and go inside for coffee. Walking back we hit the unlock button....the horn goes off. Over and over...pretty embarrassing. Then the doors wont unlock. My three dogs in the back seat are like..wtf mom. We manually unlock the door and get in. The horn goes off again. For a total of maybe....12xs. AND the jeep wont start. Omg i was flipping out.
Long story short...we disconnected the battery...reconnected it and everything worked. We drove directly to the closest dealership. They claim its was the fob batteries. Crazytown. Also my tire pressure gauges went wacko during the trip. Had to have them reset.
Ugh. This annoys me.
Sponsored

Rdaharsh1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator (Overland)
Same thing happen to me. Somehow I stuck the key in the 12v socket that shows a key on the cover then it stopped honking. I put the key fob against the start button and it started. Drove it to Jeep the service tech tried to scam me to set up a service to diagnose my key Fob. I said "no" ive had the fob for 30 days the battery is dead, get me a battery. Long story short they didnt have the large 2450 batteries in parts. Had to go to walmart.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daizey

Daizey

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Silversmith
Same thing happen to me. Somehow I stuck the key in the 12v socket that shows a key on the cover then it stopped honking. I put the key fob against the start button and it started. Drove it to Jeep the service tech tried to scam me to set up a service to diagnose my key Fob. I said "no" ive had the fob for 30 days the battery is dead, get me a battery. Long story short they didnt have the large 4050 batteries in parts. Had to go to walmart.
I was going to just get the batteries myself....but they said warranty covered the $50 battery x 2. Wth

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Same thing happen to me. Somehow I stuck the key in the 12v socket that shows a key on the cover then it stopped honking.
What is this? Do you have a picture? Thanks!

Sponsored

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
Same thing happen to me. Somehow I stuck the key in the 12v socket that shows a key on the cover then it stopped honking. I put the key fob against the start button and it started. Drove it to Jeep the service tech tried to scam me to set up a service to diagnose my key Fob. I said "no" ive had the fob for 30 days the battery is dead, get me a battery. Long story short they didnt have the large 4050 batteries in parts. Had to go to walmart.
I don’t recommend sticking a key into a 12v socket unless you want a fun shock.

Rdaharsh1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator (Overland)
If you look at your window buttons on your console to the left of them is a 12volt power supply. The little plastic cover that covers the 12volt power supply hole has a small white key printed on it. I could not get the alarm to stop sounding so on a whim I extended the key from the Fob and tried sticking it in there because I saw the key logo on the 12volt cover. It stopped as soon as i did it. Then my screen read put key fob against start button and my truck started. Not sure how it all worked but it did. The manual says not to put anything in 12 volt hole like i did, but somehow it stopped the alarm. After reading the manual it doesnt explain why there is a key painted on the cover, but it did say it only has power when the truck is running. May be Jeeps way of saying the key must be on for this 12 volt outlet to work.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
So the alarm probably just timed out.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
yeah, who knows, plus you had dogs locked in the back, I've seen them do funky things and set alarms off, not saying they did, but you never know. Good luck and would love to see picks of the items described. and I think I'll order a couple of those batteries up to throw in the glove box.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Deleted member 24880

The pointier end of the key fob is made to place against the start/run button then push both forward. This is a backup for just these things. If the fob battery dies at least you can still start your truck and get to a place that will have new batteries. Everything electronic will eventually malfunction and fail. My wife’s Ford Explorer has a place under a mat in the console with a cutout the exact size and shape of her fob for the same reason. Thankfully I had recently been told about it when her fob took a shit in the middle of the GSMNP where there is little to no phone reception.

OP
OP
Daizey

Daizey

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Silversmith
The pointier end of the key fob is made to place against the start/run button then push both forward. This is a backup for just these things. If the fob battery dies at least you can still start your truck and get to a place that will have new batteries. Everything electronic will eventually malfunction and fail. My wife’s Ford Explorer has a place under a mat in the console with a cutout the exact size and shape of her fob for the same reason. Thankfully I had recently been told about it when her fob took a shit in the middle of the GSMNP where there is little to no phone reception.
We tried this approach. It did absolutely nothing. I couldn't even remotely start the vehicle. It was weird.

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
After reading this thread, I just opened up my Key Fob to see how to change the battery.

FWIW, the battery in mine is a CR2450 battery.