Up venture

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
This week has been busy for us getting some real winter experience in. So far I haven't gotten my truck stuck yet and it's providing to be very good in snow. Still running the stock Dueler ATs was able to blast my self through some serious snow. This morning one section of road wasn't plowed about 200 yards with about 18"-20" of heavy packy stuff. Bombed through it in 4hi and no TC. Really impressed.

So back to the topic what issues I've experienced. In driving in the actual blizzard I had to stop and clean my wipers off 4 times not sure if this is just low quality wipers or the trait of a vertical windshield. There was one incident where the wiper actually lifted and a chunk of ice got stuck between the wiper and the windshield.

Next issues occurred today with the snow melting during the day and freezing at sundown I'm getting a lot of ice build up. When I went to leave work today the door took 4 tries to latch. The final was more of a same before it actually latched. I also struggled to get the tailgate open as it iced to the tonneau cover. I had to pound my hand in several locations before it would release.

Speaking of the tonneau cover I have the roll up what is the best way to treat the cover? I am brushing it of with a broom and what doesn't get brushed off becomes ice and sticks to the fabric.
IMG_20191201_085046.jpg
IMG_20191201_074812.jpg
Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Open window. Wait for wiper. Smartly grab wiper with left hand. Lift quickly. Let it bounce back onto windshield as it relates back. The shockwave will clear the ice from the blade.

Open coffee. Pour into door latch. Door will unfreeze and open easily, once.

Use plastic snow shovel to lift snow from tonneau. Throw over shoulder. Leave thin ice layer as platform for subsequent attempts.

This is a secret listing of ole fivers hillbilly methods. :LOL::LOL::CWL::CWL::rock::rock::captain::captain:

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Every vehicle I have driven in the snow I have had to get out and slap the ice off of the wipers. I can’t tell from your pictures, do you have cab steps or extended rock sliders on your JT? First accessory I ordered was the Mopar performance rock sliders to protect my doors, hinges and rear fenders from stuff coming off of the front tires.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Open window. Wait for wiper. Smartly grab wiper with left hand. Lift quickly. Let it bounce back onto windshield as it relates back. The shockwave will clear the ice from the blade.

Use plastic snow shovel to lift snow from tonneau. Throw over shoulder. Leave thin ice layer as platform for subsequent attempts.

This is a secret listing of ole fivers hillbilly methods. :LOL::LOL::CWL::CWL::rock::rock::captain::captain:
I would like to add to this point of genius . Do not use your $18 Frop-O-Latte on the door latch. Have Uber whats his nuts bring you a cup from the local Waffle House:captain::LOL:

OP
OP
Up venture

Up venture

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Every vehicle I have driven in the snow I have had to get out and slap the ice off of the wipers. I can’t tell from your pictures, do you have cab steps or extended rock sliders on your JT? First accessory I ordered was the Mopar performance rock sliders to protect my doors, hinges and rear fenders from stuff coming off of the front tires.
I currently do not have steps/sliders yet still waiting on them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Up venture

Up venture

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase

Yes I have done the reach through the window bit before. Probably won't be pouring coffee in my latch as that would possibly work to thaw it but will definitely freeze again shortly after and possibly worsen by adding more moisture in the latch.

I know how to clear snow off it the tonneau cover but the fabric is porous so the ice freezes to the fabric and I don't want to wreck the cover by pealing the ice off

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
This week has been busy for us getting some real winter experience in. So far I haven't gotten my truck stuck yet and it's providing to be very good in snow. Still running the stock Dueler ATs was able to blast my self through some serious snow. This morning one section of road wasn't plowed about 200 yards with about 18"-20" of heavy packy stuff. Bombed through it in 4hi and no TC. Really impressed.

So back to the topic what issues I've experienced. In driving in the actual blizzard I had to stop and clean my wipers off 4 times not sure if this is just low quality wipers or the trait of a vertical windshield. There was one incident where the wiper actually lifted and a chunk of ice got stuck between the wiper and the windshield.

Next issues occurred today with the snow melting during the day and freezing at sundown I'm getting a lot of ice build up. When I went to leave work today the door took 4 tries to latch. The final was more of a same before it actually latched. I also struggled to get the tailgate open as it iced to the tonneau cover. I had to pound my hand in several locations before it would release.

Speaking of the tonneau cover I have the roll up what is the best way to treat the cover? I am brushing it of with a broom and what doesn't get brushed off becomes ice and sticks to the fabric.
IMG_20191201_085046.jpg
IMG_20191201_074812.jpg
What you are experiencing is what I've experienced on almost everything in my 48 years of car ownership and driving.
It's wet snow - normal for wipers to act like that. They do that on my cars, my WJ, did on my Silverado and my F250. Granted they may be worse to some extent on the JT.......... but what you describe in each item is no shock to me in that sort of snow.
My Silverado had more of the "vinyl" cover on the bed - and even it built up snow and ice with that WET snow type that you show.
Doors? Try not being able to get them OPEN at all due to an inch of rain and then temperatures dropping 20 or 30 degrees in a couple of hours.
Today I couldn't get my tail gate open - it was frozen at the TOP to the cover exactly like you described. I just kept at it.
But on the other hand - this cover doesn't leak and let water in like others I've had, including the rather expensive one I had on my Silverado.
Last winter I had to crawl in through the hatch of my 04 WJ to get in as the doors were frozen SHUT.
I've had to stop and clear ice build-up from wipers and the edges of windshields where the wipers stop on many vehicles over the years.
Everything you described I consider to NOT be a Jeep thing.............. but I live in Iowa, it's no big deal, especially since I usually have at least one vehicle that has to sit out.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Gecko-JKU

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Gecko Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Gone but not forgotten), 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Toyota 4 Runner
Simple fix for the wipers. Wranglers have been known for their amazing heaters. Throw it on the window defroster setting and your wipers should never ice up. At least they never did on my TJ or JK. Still waiting on my Gladiator to find out.

For the doors, watch the wind. Park the truck with the driver side on the downwind side. Helps keep the snow from dropping on your seat when you open the door as well.

For the bed, if it's not big enough to require the bed, use the floor of the back of the cab. Avoid bed till Spring. See above about parking.

And for the lights, get some aftermarket HIDs. Will melt through snow and ice like a blowtorch.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Simple fix for the wipers. Wranglers have been known for their amazing heaters. Throw it on the window defroster setting and your wipers should never ice up. At least they never did on my TJ or JK. Still waiting on my Gladiator to find out.

For the doors, watch the wind. Park the truck with the driver side on the downwind side. Helps keep the snow from dropping on your seat when you open the door as well.

For the bed, if it's not big enough to require the bed, use the floor of the back of the cab. Avoid bed till Spring. See above about parking.

And for the lights, get some aftermarket HIDs. Will melt through snow and ice like a blowtorch.
I'll add to your defrost thing - which I 150% and fully agree with - I have found on some vehicles if I flip the visors down it tends to trap the warm defrost air and maybe it's my imagination but one some of my vehicles I've noticed the windshield warms faster that way. I sort of create a pocket of warm air that way - and it prevents the hot dry air from blowing across my forehead and face and drying skin out.
When in snow like that I normally do run full defrost - keeps the ridges of snow and ice from forming on the left and right edges of the glass, too.

Excellent suggestions.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
I remember the 1st time I showed up at work for the city to plow snow some 17 years ago. I had on 3 layers of winter clothes ready to go out and fight some snow. The guys cracked up when I walked through the door. They where all pre checking the trucks in there short sleeves and jeans.

To make a long story short when your out plowing the streets you are cranking the defroster with the windows down sitting in a tee shirt wishing you where in your boxer shorts:CWL:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I remember the 1st time I showed up at work for the city to plow snow some 17 years ago. I had on 3 layers of winter clothes ready to go out and fight some snow. The guys cracked up when I walked through the door. They where all pre checking the trucks in there short sleeves and jeans.

To make a long story short when your out plowing the streets you are cranking the defroster with the windows down sitting in a tee shirt wishing you where in your boxer shorts:CWL:
My neighbor retired a few years back from Polk County, Iowa - where he operated their trucks and equipment and plowed snow. Yeah, that's pretty much it........... he actually enjoyed that work as he built up tons of OT and could have a lot of summer days off as comp time.

RG48820

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon; 2018 Stinger GT2; Dodge Stealth RT/TT
Instead of coffee, use -30*f windshield washer fluid. Relatively cheap, won't refreeze in most conditions, and you will need it in the washer anyway.
Sponsored