Noise from suspension(?) help

Cbriggs9742

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2020 JT
I am running EVO’s 2.5 Overland Enforcer Lift with 3/4 daystar spacers and falcon shocks. I hear a “clunking” or grinding type sound occasionally when there is some type of angular momentum put on the front suspension. (If that makes any sense) It sounds like it is coming from the front passenger side of the Jeep. I hear it if I am pulling into a steep driveway, or when offroad, if there is a small dip and I am traveling a couple of mph, it will grind (or clunk). I don’t hear it with suspension travel that is straight up or down. I can have a large person jump up on the bumper and cant reproduce the sound.

The shop confirmed that everything is torqued to spec, and they couldn’t see anything that was rubbing or making contact. Other than the sound, it drives perfect.

I attached a pic of my front right spring, is this amount of bowing normal?

Any ideas? I appreciate any help!

IMG_1053.jpeg
Sponsored

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
Personally from that photo something is not right. There have been several here that have had the same issue with EVO springs.

OP
OP
Cbriggs9742

Cbriggs9742

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2020 JT
Personally from that photo something is not right. There have been several here that have had the same issue with EVO springs.
I agree! I was just now reading on another forum, looks like this is a common issue. I think the bump stop is rubbing on the spring, and other people were reporting the same thing. I ordered the RK spring pad correction kit, so hopefully that will fix it.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
I agree! I was just now reading on another forum, looks like this is a common issue. I think the bump stop is rubbing on the spring, and other people were reporting the same thing. I ordered the RK spring pad correction kit, so hopefully that will fix it.
Hope that works for you.

Sponsored

Buck1ze

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GCM Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
That spring positioning is absolutely unacceptable. Documentation with a Mopar lift states that “slight” outward bowing is normal, of which I had none after installing the kit on my Rubicon. I would get that taken care of ASAP.

Last edited:

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
I think the replies you are receiving are dead on. If you really wanted to verify, I mean really wanted to, you could disconnect the swaybar links and flex it to the max compressing the noisy side, and take a look. If you do, take a picture for everyones benefit, including EVO

OP
OP
Cbriggs9742

Cbriggs9742

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2020 JT
That spring positioning is absolutely unacceptable. Documentation with a Mopar lift states that “slight” outboard bowing is normal, of which I had none after installing the kit on my Rubicon. I would get that taken care of ASAP.
I think the replies you are receiving are dead on. If you really wanted to verify, I mean really wanted to, you could disconnect the swaybar links and flex it to the max compressing the noisy side, and take a look. If you do, take a picture for everyones benefit, including EVO
That is a good idea, thanks for the help!

Rdaharsh1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator (Overland)
When I installed my Icon 2.5" lift. The Shock installation stated that if factory shock mount is within .25" of the top cap, the mount must be sanded or a clunking sound will be heard over bumps due to the top cap running into the mount. This is referring to the top Eyelet of the shock and the mount.

popeyesdad

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator , 2019 wrangler jl
I am running EVO’s 2.5 Overland Enforcer Lift with 3/4 daystar spacers and falcon shocks. I hear a “clunking” or grinding type sound occasionally when there is some type of angular momentum put on the front suspension. (If that makes any sense) It sounds like it is coming from the front passenger side of the Jeep. I hear it if I am pulling into a steep driveway, or when offroad, if there is a small dip and I am traveling a couple of mph, it will grind (or clunk). I don’t hear it with suspension travel that is straight up or down. I can have a large person jump up on the bumper and cant reproduce the sound.

The shop confirmed that everything is torqued to spec, and they couldn’t see anything that was rubbing or making contact. Other than the sound, it drives perfect.

I attached a pic of my front right spring, is this amount of bowing normal?

Any ideas? I appreciate any help!

IMG_1053.jpeg
I am having the same issue, same noise, I am running the rc 2.5 leveling kit with new shocks and stock shock with spacer, cant wait to hear the outcome thanks.

Sponsored

Proximo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max
I am having the same issue, same noise, I am running the rc 2.5 leveling kit with new shocks and stock shock with spacer, cant wait to hear the outcome thanks.
Did you mean stock spring? If so, I'm running the same thing on my Sport Max with no problems and no bowing. Check to make sure your spring is seated properly and twisted completely into the stop divot on the bottom pad:idea:

popeyesdad

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator , 2019 wrangler jl
Did you mean stock spring? If so, I'm running the same thing on my Sport Max with no problems and no bowing. Check to make sure your spring is seated properly and twisted completely into the stop divot on the bottom pad:idea:
Yes I did mean spring , I have no bow but not sure if it is seated properly need to check tomorrow. thanks. I didn't think about the spring because the leveling kit has been on for about 2 months and the noise just started about 2 weeks ago.

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I know the factory top spring isolators are clocked specifically with rubber spikes to help with bowing, and Rockkrawler 3” springs i have came with lower correction pads to replace the factory ones all this keeps bowing to a minimum.

Jeep Rookie

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None yet
Any update here. Seems the correction pad would make it worse and actually the pads that come with the EVO kit are RK/Daystar correction pads.
Correction pads are for outward bowing. EVO suggested one member to go back to the stock isolators. Seems it helped.
Please update your findings if you can. Could be wrong but seems the inward bow is unique to the Gladiator and/or EVO.

Thanks

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 JT Rubi, 2020 JT Sport Hemi Swap, 2021 JT Rubi Diesel
Any update here. Seems the correction pad would make it worse and actually the pads that come with the EVO kit are RK/Daystar correction pads.
Correction pads are for outward bowing. EVO suggested one member to go back to the stock isolators. Seems it helped.
Please update your findings if you can. Could be wrong but seems the inward bow is unique to the Gladiator and/or EVO.

Thanks
The pads in that photo are not RK/Daystar.
Sponsored