Sponsored

So many used Gladiators on the market.

Gladius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was looking up used Gladiator market prices and came across some interesting data. As of today on Cars.com there are 449 used 2020 Gladiators on the market. Yet only 16 used 2020 Wranglers. I looked up several other brands and none have the high numbers of the Gladiator.
Sponsored

Gameshow

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I was looking up used Gladiator market prices and came across some interesting data. As of today on Cars.com there are 449 used 2020 Gladiators on the market. Yet only 16 used 2020 Wranglers. I looked up several other brands and none have the high numbers of the Gladiator.
I suppose there are a fair number of truck people who just donā€™t speak ā€œJeep.ā€ They buy it and determine itā€™s not a great truck. Then there are the Jeep people who buy one and say itā€™s not ā€œJeepā€ enough. It takes people like me: people who love taking the doors and roof off, but sometimes need to make the run to Lowes for some lumber. I just got my Gladiator, and already love it for the truck/Jeep it is!

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I was looking at some and there were various things like Financial Issues, life changes, etc. Would it be that some of the leases are up. Have never dealt with a lease so not sure how those things work in regard to when they can turn them back in.

Food2000

First Name
vinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Used Manual transmission Gladiators are rare as heck :(, If you find one of those... pm me and I'll write you a haiku.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I just did the same search on cars.com. If you drill down and look at most of the "used" Gladiators, over half of them you can tell are dealer modded vehicles with big tires and crappy lifts that you know where sold new with probably a $15K-$20K+ premium. So you probably have quite a few buyers who were in over their head giving those up.

Also, quite a number have less than a 100 miles and are heavily modded. Many of those are being sold by independent luxury and exotic sale car companies. Those are off the lot conversions those companies bought off the dealer lot and being modded and flipped for sale so they will have a "used" designation since they have already been sold once.

I would say maybe 25% of those are really true normal used market listings and given that there was almost six extra months of 2020 Gladiator production before the 2020 Wrangler production started, extrapolating a basic numbers comparison without a drill down of what is actually being offered is misleading.

Last edited:

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
There are a few deals out there... at least on Autotrader in Florida. Even saw a few Max Tow. I did see all the those heavy modded ones as well.

TheJoyceIsYours

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
store.lbdesignworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Another thought too- The 2020 Gladiator came out long before the 2020 Wrangler. I know there was at least a couple months of 2019 Wranglers being produced after the Gladiator came out.

aj8544

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR,2018 Wrangler JLU 2.0, 2018 F150
Some of the listings I've seen locally are actually dealer demos that they are now listing as used. Not sure what the reasoning is, typically they would be sold as new still. I actually checked one out that I thought was used before I bought new- it was listed as used at a Ford dealership. Turns out it was the dealership owner's demo (they also have a CDJR dealership). No idea why they would be selling it as used at the Ford shop rather than as a new demo at the Jeep shop- had 1500 miles on it, interior floor mats still in plastic etc... However they wouldn't budge on price and I bought brand new for less $.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Gladius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I assumed the release date would have something to do with those numbers, I did a search on that but couldn't find info on the 2 models release dates.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Some of the listings I've seen locally are actually dealer demos that they are now listing as used. Not sure what the reasoning is, typically they would be sold as new still. I actually checked one out that I thought was used before I bought new- it was listed as used at a Ford dealership. Turns out it was the dealership owner's demo (they also have a CDJR dealership). No idea why they would be selling it as used at the Ford shop rather than as a new demo at the Jeep shop- had 1500 miles on it, interior floor mats still in plastic etc... However they wouldn't budge on price and I bought brand new for less $.
Noticed some of the used one's are popping up on Rental Car sale lots.

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
Did a Cars.com search, Six used JTs wihtin a 50 mile radius, 20 within 100 mile radius.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
I wonder how much of this is due to not meeting expectations of towing capability, specifically with those who haven't towed with the 3.6L V6 Pentastar. Right out of the gate one of the big marketing points was its 7,000 lb tow rating, with the ads show a Gladiator towing what looks like a 5,500 lb (dry weight) Airstream. I'd guess that if people want a Jeep, they're happy with a JK or JKU, but people who want a Jeep and a pickup want to tow and haul. The Pentastar is fine for light duty tow & haul but I'm still baffled by the 7,000 lb spec. Not because of wheel base or suspension etc., but simply torque and hp.
Sponsored