Sponsored

Doors off, premium soft top, rain protection?

Swayze

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
So I looked through topics trying to find a solution for this, but just couldn’t find something I liked yet. Wanted to ask you all for ideas.

I have the premium soft top, so it’s really easy to pull back, so I don’t really want to take it all the way off, but I’d like to leave the doors off or run the mopar tube doors. I live in Virginia and it feels like it rains at least part of the day all the time.

Solutions that I’ve thought of, but aren’t perfect:
1. Mopar rain cover, but it doesn’t seem to work with the top on.

2. Bestop: fabric doors and just pop them on and off when it’s going to rain, which works for the rain, but it’s not the door I want to drive with on the road, would have have the tube doors (not that they provide a ton of protection, but seems like more than nothing. This seems like a lot of door swapping around.

Bestop core doors: Talked to them and due to covid 19 the release date is unknown. Also, based on the existing core doors, seems like this will be super expensive, but a perfect solution.

I feel like maybe the mopar cover might fit imperfectly over the top and get it mostly done. Or maybe I could make something that just covers the side out of a tarp.

Anyone else have this “problem” or come of with a good solution or idea.

Thanks for any help,
Patrick
Sponsored

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Hey @Swayze,
Have you considered our Element Doors? They start out as tube doors as shown below. You can also add the same style upper as you'd find on our 2-piece soft doors. Lastly, we offer an enclosure that makes this look like a solid half door. The enclosure is basically a flat steel skin that will secure to the outside. We have offered this for the TJ, and JK Wranglers, and the enclosure will soon be available for the JL/JT as well.
Jeep Gladiator Doors off, premium soft top, rain protection? 2020_Gladiator_Sunrider_Element_Doors_1070399-HDR-602x451-ad9b10f

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

mojocho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
My vote is the Bestop fabric doors. That's how I ran my JKU. Top down, does in the back. If it rained I could still get home. With the cab cover, you still have to wait until the rain is done. Even still you'll get road spray if road is wet.

If I can ever find a soft top that is half the price of OEM, I'll run it that way. With my hour commute, I can't risk going topless with it the soft top

ciarraikerry

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
Occupation
Biologist
Hey @Swayze,
Have you considered our Element Doors? They start out as tube doors as shown below. You can also add the same style upper as you'd find on our 2-piece soft doors. Lastly, we offer an enclosure that makes this look like a solid half door. The enclosure is basically a flat steel skin that will secure to the outside. We have offered this for the TJ, and JK Wranglers, and the enclosure will soon be available for the JL/JT as well.
Jeep Gladiator Doors off, premium soft top, rain protection? 2020_Gladiator_Sunrider_Element_Doors_1070399-HDR-602x451-ad9b10f

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com
Lee, when is the JL/JT enclosure expected to be released?

OP
OP

Swayze

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey @Swayze,

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com
Thanks Lee for the suggestion, when I used the Bestop chat they had mentioned the element enclosures not being available yet. I wasn’t sure if there was a timeline on that or if it’s been changed due to covid.

The only concern I had with element doors, plus steel enclosure and fabric top was that the price gets up there pretty quick having to buy the 3 pieces. Which would be totally worth it, except that I know I’d rather have the core doors you all make if they were available. It didn’t seem like there was a timeline on those yet, but I know I’ll probably want to upgrade to those when available so was trying to keep the temporary option cheaper.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Swayze

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My vote is the Bestop fabric doors. That's how I ran my JKU. Top down, does in the back. If it rained I could still get home. With the cab cover, you still have to wait until the rain is done. Even still you'll get road spray if road is wet.

If I can ever find a soft top that is half the price of OEM, I'll run it that way. With my hour commute, I can't risk going topless with it the soft top
That’s a good point, I do have about a 40 minute commute each way and road spray over 30 miles would probably put a damper on my mood. Also, in Virginia sometimes it seems like the rain might never let up.

I also found a rain gear cover after my OP and they all say it’s for temporary storage so the overnight options get dicey with the cover plan.

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Totally. I love the 2-Piece Soft Doors, so versatile!

Lee

- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Thanks Lee for the suggestion, when I used the Bestop chat they had mentioned the element enclosures not being available yet. I wasn’t sure if there was a timeline on that or if it’s been changed due to covid.

The only concern I had with element doors, plus steel enclosure and fabric top was that the price gets up there pretty quick having to buy the 3 pieces. Which would be totally worth it, except that I know I’d rather have the core doors you all make if they were available. It didn’t seem like there was a timeline on those yet, but I know I’ll probably want to upgrade to those when available so was trying to keep the temporary option cheaper.
I totally understand that. I can say (unfortunately) that we are not close to a release date for JL/JT Core Doors at this point.

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

ciarraikerry

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
Occupation
Biologist
I can't give an exact date but I can say we're close to releasing it, and it's a domestic product.

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com
Awesome! I ordered my JT the week before the plant shutdown so I’m enjoying the half doors on my JK for a few more weeks before it’s delivered. One of the hardest things for me going to the JT was giving up my half doors. Stoked to see these will be available soon since it’s the only one with an upper so far

Sponsored

OP
OP

Swayze

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I totally understand that. I can say (unfortunately) that we are not close to a release date for JL/JT Core Doors at this point.

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com
Do you guys have any pictures of the element doors with enclosures that people have painted to match the body? Is that something anyone does?

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Mercedes Sprinter
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hey @Swayze,

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com
Lee @Bestop
Can the fabric uppers be purchased separate from the fabric lower doors for the JT? I did not see them offered separate on the website but maybe i was looking in the wrong place.

ciarraikerry

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
Occupation
Biologist

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
So I looked through topics trying to find a solution for this, but just couldn’t find something I liked yet. Wanted to ask you all for ideas.

I have the premium soft top, so it’s really easy to pull back, so I don’t really want to take it all the way off, but I’d like to leave the doors off or run the mopar tube doors. I live in Virginia and it feels like it rains at least part of the day all the time.

Solutions that I’ve thought of, but aren’t perfect:
1. Mopar rain cover, but it doesn’t seem to work with the top on.

2. Bestop: fabric doors and just pop them on and off when it’s going to rain, which works for the rain, but it’s not the door I want to drive with on the road, would have have the tube doors (not that they provide a ton of protection, but seems like more than nothing. This seems like a lot of door swapping around.

Bestop core doors: Talked to them and due to covid 19 the release date is unknown. Also, based on the existing core doors, seems like this will be super expensive, but a perfect solution.

I feel like maybe the mopar cover might fit imperfectly over the top and get it mostly done. Or maybe I could make something that just covers the side out of a tarp.

Anyone else have this “problem” or come of with a good solution or idea.

Thanks for any help,
Patrick
Look at raingear covers.

OP
OP

Swayze

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Look at raingear covers.
Yeah, I found them yesterday and I’m thinking I’ll pick one up, especially based on the price. But to Mojocho’s point if it doesn’t dry up or stop raining that’s still a long drive with road spray.

Right now I’m thinking I might get the Bestop fabric doors (just the front) while I wait for a more perfect solution.
Sponsored