First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon GATOR
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
What are your thoughts on a black hard. With headline vs. premium soft top. In terms of noise. I have the premium soft top on my jlur it’s nice. But I drive a lot of freeways now. Wondering if it is 1200 quieter?
Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
What are your thoughts on a black hard. With headline vs. premium soft top. In terms of noise. I have the premium soft top on my jlur it’s nice. But I drive a lot of freeways now. Wondering if it is 1200 quieter?
I picked the Hardtop over the soft for two reasons, one it's quieter and two I have never had a soft top that didn't start leaking at some point. From the factory when I bought mine it was only a $500 difference between the Hard and soft top

lux

First Name
Lux
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
You live in SoCal just like me. Pick the premium soft top and enjoy our awesome weather all year round. I don't get why more Jeeps aren't optioned that way around here, I love being able to open and close my roof in a few seconds.

Ian8

I haven’t purchased a gladiator yet, but have spent way too much time researching and analyzing the options. The hardtop is much quieter, and can be even more quiet if you install a headliner. From what I have heard about others’ experiences, the factory headliner is not very good at either heat or noise insulation. There are cheaper and more effective options available in the aftermarket.

tedb

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland in Gobi
I have the hardtop and had the liner installed a week after I picked the Gladiator up. It is a little quieter with the headliner than without it.

Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I have pondered this same thing over and over and done tons of searching. About half will say Hard Top and Half will say soft top. Some will say hard quieter and some will say soft top not much difference. Even have seen testing done that seems to show not a lot of difference but maybe with the new headliners there is some. It really all boils down to what you gonna do. For me I am getting the thing to have the top off but need to be able to put it back on in short notice so that is not the Hard Top. I have neighbors who have jeeps and in all the years I do not think I have ever seen the top off and its not like they are rock crawling in Houston. Would just keep my truck if that was the case quiet, spacious and drives like a dream

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME
I run dual tops and no question the hard top is quieter at highway speed and in high winds. I'm talking like driving 80+ real highway not just 55. I also installed the Hotheads headliner right away with sound deadening strips. The Bestop Sunrider option that allows flip-up of just the front seat section seems like a really good option but I don't own that so can't comment on noise levels. I put on my Hard Top for winter, but would also throw it on for any reasonable-length road trip for both noise and security. With a garage hoist its not that big of a swap, but have to turn some bolts.

Cwelroy

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JT Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Healthcare
Personally, I am NOT a fan of the Gladiator soft top. It doesn't fold all the way down like the JL and therefore sits on top of the Jeep. If you're doing interstate driving, I wouldn't recommend that on a regular basis. If it folded down past the back windows into the bed, then I'd get it not problem. I would do the hard top and purchase a Bestop Sunrider in the premium twill fabric. Best of both worlds. Mostly quieter than the premium soft top as most of the hard top is still intact, and it flips open in a second for open air driving (front two seats only) and lays relatively flat on top when open unlike the factory soft top.

ALVagabond

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR "Praetorian"
My last 2 jeeps (JTR included) have been hardtops with an aftermarket bikini/safari top for summer. No headliner.
Sponsored