Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
75 MPH daily AM Ride, light noise with windows up. Does get noisier with some or all of the windows down. When you hit 85,90, 95 MPH that top has a big deep droan. I have been meaing to record it for the group and will sometime. I have the Premium ST. Flip top is nice, but the excess does sit up higher then what I saw on my TJ-L flip top. Yes it comes off easy but I have not yet. I only bought it in August but I spent most of the fall with just the back window pulled out and the full top staying up, like a bikini top.

I appriciate all these comments here, I was thinking of buying a HT and selling my ST and getting a bikini of the Besttop sunricder to add to my a HT if i bought one. I may listing to my smarter half's advice and just buy the HT when I can afford it and keep the ST.

Note also I have not seen any leaking issues.
Sponsored

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Thank you! Right now I am leaning towards body-color hard top with Bestop Sunrider in place of the freedom panels (which can still be reinstalled at any time). That will allow me to flip the top open anytime, without even getting out of the vehicle.

Then the next vacation to the Outer Banks, where you can still drive on the beach, we will rent a stilt house. That way I can take the top entirely off, and park truck under house out of the rain.

The sand can be very loose and deep, but three trips with my 4x4 Dakota, and never stuck yet. Expect the Gladiator to be even better.
We've been to Corolla twice. Love it! No Jeep though; took my Suburban.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Interesting discussion. Here in Houston June thru August you fry but the rest of the year its great for the most part and would easily be top down weather just have to look as showers pop up at anytime. Heck that is one of my biggest wishes moving to the Jeep truck is to be able to take the top off and not just the freedom panels. Heck I could just as well roll my window down in my ram to let some air in. Don't really have storage for both tops so gonna be a tough call. Sure wish the soft top would fold all the way down. I have 40% hearing loss so guess road noise won't be as bad (LOL) or it will speed up more hearing loss should I go that route. Plus it would save a few bucks.

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
Thank you! Right now I am leaning towards body-color hard top with Bestop Sunrider in place of the freedom panels (which can still be reinstalled at any time). That will allow me to flip the top open anytime, without even getting out of the vehicle.

Then the next vacation to the Outer Banks, where you can still drive on the beach, we will rent a stilt house. That way I can take the top entirely off, and park truck under house out of the rain.

The sand can be very loose and deep, but three trips with my 4x4 Dakota, and never stuck yet. Expect the Gladiator to be even better.
I'd strongly consider the dual top group as it costs the same, $2295, as the body colored hard top. When you start taking the hard top off and on, sooner or later it will get scratched. It's a lot easier to cover a scratch on the black hard top than it is on a painted body colored hard top. Plus, IMO, the black sunrider just looks more in place when it is mated to a black top. It stands out like a sore thumb when it's mated next to a top which is a different color than the black twill fabric. Just my .02

What color Gladiator are you buying?

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Sport max tow Sting-gray, ā€˜95 YJ
I was pleasantly surprised at how quiet my premium soft top is at highway speeds. It is as quiet as my buddies ā€˜20 JLU hardtop IMHO.

Sponsored

aj8544

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR,2018 Wrangler JLU 2.0, 2018 F150
Seems like a big complaint with the soft top is how it sits on top of the cab when open rather than folding all the way down. I think the thing most are overlooking is with just a couple bolts you can lift the whole top assembly off, and it fits in the bed. Still much faster than removing the hard top, and you can still take it with you.

Another issue for me with the hard top is that the bolts sit down behind the rear seat backs. Every video I have seen removing it shows having the rear seats backs folded down. Does anyone know if you have to fold the seats to get to the bolts- or would an extension etc... work? Folding the seats would be an even bigger issue for me with 2 car seats in the back- just an added annoyance that would likely result in removing the top less often.

OP
OP
DreamedofaJeepSomeday

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I'd strongly consider the dual top group as it costs the same, $2295, as the body colored hard top. When you start taking the hard top off and on, sooner or later it will get scratched. It's a lot easier to cover a scratch on the black hard top than it is on a painted body colored hard top. Plus, IMO, the black sunrider just looks more in place when it is mated to a black top. It stands out like a sore thumb when it's mated next to a top which is a different color than the black twill fabric. Just my .02

What color Gladiator are you buying?
White. I am reviewing the situation, Maybe I just get the premium soft top and enjoy maximum top-down experience.
As far as the dual top group is concerned, storage of the top not installed is an issue. Used to have a two-car garage; permanently converted it into a one-car garage (wife's car!!) and workshop. Can't have everything!

Reactions: BAT

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
White. I am reviewing the situation, Maybe I just get the premium soft top and enjoy maximum top-down experience.
As far as the dual top group is concerned, storage of the top not installed is an issue. Used to have a two-car garage; permanently converted it into a one-car garage (wife's car!!) and workshop. Can't have everything!
It is very light. I'd suspend it from the ceiling. Up and out of the way. Decisions, decisions.

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
daily driver premium soft too.. not any noisier than my hard top jku

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon, 19 Genesis G70, 1972 Ford LTD coupe
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
I only have a soft top for my Gladiator (for now). I had both on my JKU. I live in St. Louis and dual tops is the way to go. Yes, the soft top is noisier, but the ease of use tradeoff is soooooooo worth it. I WILL be getting a soft top to go with my hard top.

Sponsored

Cshadow2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting grey sport S JT
Growing up in Orlando the hot setup was a bikini top with hard doors year round, Iā€™m moving down to Tampa and suspect I will take may back window and corners off and probably leave them off for the next 3 years unless we are taking a road trip. Iā€™ve driven mine back and for the about 4 times already half towing and half not I usually set the cruse at 75 when Iā€™m towing and 80 not and the premium soft top doesnā€™t seem any louder then any other convertible we have owned. I also ride a Harley most of the time so my baseline is probably skewed. I wouldnā€™t buy a Jeep with a hard top but itā€™s because Iā€™m lazy, I also am cool with the mullet because I donā€™t want the top in the way when Iā€™m doing truck stuff which is pretty often since thatā€™s usually why Iā€™m not on the bike.

REDDAWG

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 hd flhtcse ,20 gladiator When it gets here
love my oem soft top no noise saved $1100 gator sport my glad gator

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Noise should not be a deciding factor as the wind noise is substantial with the hard top on windy days and going over 60mph. There is no quiet option.

takeitsleazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2008 JL
I just spent the better part of a decade with a soft top on my 2dr- but im a married man now, planning to have kids, so I ordered my gladiator with a hard top. My wifeā€™s 4dr has a hard top and itā€™s much, much more quiet (caveat being I have the cheaper soft top so that may factor in to the noise).

As a single guy, I had no issues with the noise. Itā€™s a part of my Jeep. I lived in England and guam, and spent months on end with no top. I live in FL now, and it is still a pleasure. However; if any part of your situation would make having a hard top worth it, get the hard top from the factory, and get a bikini top or spiderwebshade for those fun days.

Sorry for the ramble, I think Iā€™m just getting nostalgic now that Iā€™m just under a week from trading the old boy in...

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I had only a soft top on my JK for 11 years in the northeast through cold weather and snow and itā€™s been great. The Jeep warms up and stays warm just as good. Snow never bothered it.

In fact it is easier to get the snow off the roof. While driving I hit the ceiling and the chunks of snow fall of. Especially when you have a lifted Jeep which makes it hard to reach the roof from the outside.

In fact because I have the soft top and half doors, the only glass window is my windshield... all others are plastic, and guess what, I donā€™t get ice buildup on my plastic windows when itā€™s cold like you get on glass windows... soooo much easier on icy mornings.
Sponsored