Road noise with soft top?

BobBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport
If mine was built this past October, does that mean it has the shorter top? The reason I'm asking is because it always sounds like a window is down. I had a soft top on my last jeep and I know jeeps are not quiet, but I keep checking to see if one of the passenger windows is down a bit. That is the noise it makes. I don't think it's the same as others are experiencing and maybe it's normal. Opinions?
Sponsored

BobBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The sound of the windows being down is normal at highway speeds. It's just the different areas of the top flapping in the breeze. It's normal Jeep soft top noise. The sound we were having was like a very loud harmonic droning noise that would come and go depending on speed. Also, sometimes the top frame would rattle like it was coming apart. You could drive at 80 with regular wind/flapping noises. You hit 81 and there is this very loud noise. Back to 80 and it goes away. Your vehicle should be ok since it was built after July 20.

BobBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One more thing, if you think it's too loud, let your dealer take a look at it. Or drive another Gladiator to see if it sounds the same.

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
The sound of the windows being down is normal at highway speeds. It's just the different areas of the top flapping in the breeze. It's normal Jeep soft top noise. The sound we were having was like a very loud harmonic droning noise that would come and go depending on speed. Also, sometimes the top frame would rattle like it was coming apart. You could drive at 80 with regular wind/flapping noises. You hit 81 and there is this very loud noise. Back to 80 and it goes away. Your vehicle should be ok since it was built after July 20.
Thank you so much for the information. I suspected it was normal and am glad to not have to go there for a while. Appreciate it.

WDM215

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lincoln Mark LT, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
If mine was built this past October, does that mean it has the shorter top? The reason I'm asking is because it always sounds like a window is down. I had a soft top on my last jeep and I know jeeps are not quiet, but I keep checking to see if one of the passenger windows is down a bit. That is the noise it makes. I don't think it's the same as others are experiencing and maybe it's normal. Opinions?
I do think it's different from what myself and @BobBob were hearing and might just be normal soft top noise. What I was hearing literally was painful to the ears and was a harmonic noise vs road noise.

Sponsored

xpcdoojk

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes SLK300 MINI Cooper S Volvo XC40
So, I can’t say anything about soft tops and noise, except I expect that they are noisy. I tested an Overland with a hard top without the headliner and I bought a Rubicon with the headliner and despite the salesperson on the Overland test driving that the headliner wouldn’t make any difference it made one hell of a difference. Soft tops and convertibles are noisy. The JT doesn’t have to be. It is possible to have a reasonably quiet cabin.

JC

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
my premium soft top is about the same as my jku hardtop as per hwy noise

DarkerSideJT

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Engineer
I've started to notice the loud noise around 80+mph. Is there a fix for this?

WDM215

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lincoln Mark LT, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
When you hear the noise push up on the support bar that would be right over your head. If putting pressure on it gets the noise to stop then it's the same problem and the dealer should replace the top for you.

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Town & Country, 2002 Camry, 2003 Grand Am, 2021 Deisel JTR.
Occupation
Union Electrician
Go the speed limit, you'll never hit 80. Problem solved.

Sponsored

BobBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you hear the noise push up on the support bar that would be right over your head. If putting pressure on it gets the noise to stop then it's the same problem and the dealer should replace the top for you.
What he said. If noise goes away when pressing on bar, see the dealer to replace the top. Scroll back a couple of pages to see what we went through.

jenkij

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Go the speed limit, you'll never hit 80. Problem solved.
I'm in a rental and it does it at 70 in cross winds, the speed limit is 75. No it's not normal wind noise, It's a loud howl, pressing up anywhere on the top quiets it a little as does rolling down the windows.
Sponsored