Soft top vs Hard Top noise

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
My hard top is louder on the hwy than the soft top loaners I’ve driven if you go the speed limit on the interstate. I’ve brought it in several times to be looked at @JeepCares doesnt care. They let the dealership say it’s normal and nothing happens. I find it humorous that a soft top owner said they can make Bluetooth calls. My Bluetooth is useless on the hwy and I have to break the hands free laws to talk on my phone.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
My hard top is louder on the hwy than the soft top loaners I’ve driven if you go the speed limit on the interstate. I’ve brought it in several times to be looked at @JeepCares doesnt care. They let the dealership say it’s normal and nothing happens. I find it humorous that a soft top owner said they can make Bluetooth calls. My Bluetooth is useless on the hwy and I have to break the hands free laws to talk on my phone.
Mine is a little loud at 70+mph, but i can make Bluetooth calls still. I really only notice when the radio is off. Do you have the headliner? Strange the dealership calls it normal. If you can't talk on the phone or hear the radio, that's not normal.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's what came factory on mine. It's not bad. But if you're buying one anyway, a lot of folks are raving about the hotheads. No clue which is truly better, because I'm good with the OEM option, but maybe someone who's had both will chime in. The Mopar option is expensive, so if mine didn't come with one, I'd probably go aftermarket.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Mine is a little loud at 70+mph, but i can make Bluetooth calls still. I really only notice when the radio is off. Do you have the headliner? Strange the dealership calls it normal. If you can't talk on the phone or hear the radio, that's not normal.
I do not have the headliner, but I shouldn’t have to spend money to make it bearable. My 2008 JKU with m/ts was noticeably quieter. Especially, not with a $54k MSRP. Even when riding around town, the first thing every passenger does is try to roll the window up thinking the window is down.
@JeepCares doesn’t care.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
That's what came factory on mine. It's not bad. But if you're buying one anyway, a lot of folks are raving about the hotheads. No clue which is truly better, because I'm good with the OEM option, but maybe someone who's had both will chime in. The Mopar option is expensive, so if mine didn't come with one, I'd probably go aftermarket.
I have the Mopar headliner and appreciate the quietness in the cab.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...op-vs-soft-top-a-review-of-all-options.30745/

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/hothead-vs-mopar-headliner.35855/

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do not have the headliner, but I shouldn’t have to spend money to make it bearable. My 2008 JKU with m/ts was noticeably quieter. Especially, not with a $54k MSRP. Even when riding around town, the first thing every passenger does is try to roll the window up thinking the window is down.
@JeepCares doesn’t care.
The headliner is the factory option to make it more bearable. Everything is an option on these things. Some folks don't have a problem with the wind noise, or don't do a lot of highway driving, so they they don't want to pay for it. Some folks can't stand the wind noise, and do a lot of higher speed driving, and need to have it. It's just the way these are, everything is piecemeal. Factory headliner would have put you at $54500. Or you could have a less optioned trim, missing things you do have, at like 36k on a different spec, that does have the headliner. Everything is optional, or can be added after purchase. I also wonder if the shape of these makes them inherently louder than regular wranglers. Mine's much louder, for example, if I take my tonneau cover off. It's a totally different level of refinement

Last edited:

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@JeepCares doesn’t care.
I think someone else mentioned getting some caulk added by the dealership on a different thread, if there's a seal causing the noise. Could you find another dealership around?

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
The headliner is the factory option to make it more bearable. Everything is an option on these things. Some folks don't have a problem with the wind noise, or don't do a lot of highway driving, so they they don't want to pay for it. Some folks can't stand the wind noise, and do a lot of higher speed driving, and need to have it. It's just the way these are, everything is piecemeal. Factory headliner would have put you at $54500. Or you could have a less optioned trim, missing things you do have, at like 36k on a different spec, that does have the headliner. Everything is optional, or can be added after purchase. I also wonder if the shape of these makes them inherently louder than regular wranglers. Mine's much louder, for example, if I take my tonneau cover off. It's a totally different level of refinement
My 2008 JK with no headliner was noticeably quieter.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
As far as the shape goes, I’m shocked at how I literally lose 5 mpg hwy with the top off or roof panels out. Literally from 21-22 hwy to 15-16. That’s a HUGE difference.

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As far as the shape goes, I’m shocked at how I literally lose 5 mpg hwy with the top off or roof panels out. Literally from 21-22 hwy to 15-16. That’s a HUGE difference.
First off, apologies, I misread your first post. You weren't complaining that you don't have a headliner, you were saying your jeep is louder than others even without headliners. Second, not to turn into an mpg post, but I truly see a difference in mpg on the Gladiator running with a tonneau cover or without, too.

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
My two kids ride in the back and on the highway, it was near impossible to hear them. I got the soft top headliner and it's been working pretty well. It doesn't make the inside of the jeep quiet on the highway, but their voices don't get muddled anymore.

I'm considering installing armor lite floor liners to see if I can get it even a little quieter inside.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
First off, apologies, I misread your first post. You weren't complaining that you don't have a headliner, you were saying your jeep is louder than others even without headliners. Second, not to turn into an mpg post, but I truly see a difference in mpg on the Gladiator running with a tonneau cover or without, too.
Mine has had one since new, i worked it into the deal, but I will say that on a recent road trip I hauled some items in the bed that wouldn’t fit inside the cover and there was a significant mpg difference. The items weren’t even far above the bed sides.

Basically what this boils down to is, despite their shape, the Jeep engineers did a damn good job with the aerodynamics.

pga202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Gladiator Sport, '19 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
Teach
Are you saying a tonneau cover made you JT quieter? I just put a tonneau on mine yesterday, I haven't had the chance to drive it on the interstate to tell a difference.
Sponsored