Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I've taking my freedom tops off quite a few times and I swear sometimes I get them installed back on just perfect and my wind noise is "minimal". Other times I feel like I always get a good amount of wind noise from where the freedom tops meet the windshield. I think i quickly get used to it, but a ride in any fixed roof vehicle like my wife's Nissan Murano and I'm reminding of the trade-off of quiet I give up to be able to take the top off. I'll make that trade-off 100 times out of 100 though!
one reason modern (LOL - ok, post 1990) vehicles normally don't have "Drip rails" - wind noise. And gap, seam, joint that's not totally smooth, even the windshield bright work (trim) of old - pretty, but wind noise. Any time the wind has to change direction or speed, there's more noise.
These have corners and joints and gaps and drip rails.
Some of the changes in body styles and methods are aimed at noise reduction.
(and associated gains in MPG when you don't mess with the wind or air)

You aren't the first person who has hinted that they thought there appeared to be a difference between the various times they put the panels back. Hmmm, maybe when I get mine back from the deailer I'll see if there's a way to change it just by loosening the panels and bumping them around a bit and re-clamping.
Sponsored

buff

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the replies. Is there a headliner made for the Gladiator and are the sound strips simply insulation around the edges of the hard top?
factory Mopar are the best headliners. they come in white or black. they stay up better than the others.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
factory Mopar are the best headliners. they come in white or black. they stay up better than the others.
What? This is the exact opposite from everything I've heard from everyone. Have you seen ANY other non-factory headliners? The Mopars are notorious for being super thin and not worth their price.

I have the HotHeads with their sound assassins. The headliners are nice and thick and have a good feel/look. The sound assassin strips are a weird adhesive-backed rubberized weighty something-other with a foiled surface. They are there to stop vibrations and help soak up the sounds it causes. I went from no headliners to that full setup and it quieted the cab down quite a bit.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The only ones who can say which is better are those who have used both in the same vehicle and done real comparisons - that means the same road, the same speed, the same type of wind.

Of course when asking "which is best" on the internet, anyone who responds will say "the one I have is the best". As I've said before - no one who has brand XX will suggest that brand YY is better as that's admitting they have something that isn't best, or they made a less than great choice.
So whatever the answerer has is going to be the best. 5 products, 5 answers, 5 results on which is best.
Check any other "which is best" thread - that's always how it ends up.

I'm fine with my MOPAR setup - is it the best? I can't say that because I've not removed it and installed another brand or type and tested, then put the mopar back and tested again in the same conditions.
Much of the noise will be due to the drip rails, the shape and slope of the windshield, the A pillars, doors, etc. - no wind noise kit can solve those areas. And that's where most of the noise I experience comes from - that's one reason I've not bothered trying any other type or brand - they cover the sides and the top, but can't do squat about the drip rails, the A PILLARS and where the wind noise is really coming from.

awraynor

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I've not minded the wind noise, but I drove the car wash yesterday and just wow!